2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Big Brother and the 05 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 8/4/04, 10:30 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read that 90 percent of cars made in 04 have a little black box that records data.

What does the 05 Mustang have?

Where does this all lead? Speeding tickets in the mail? :bang: video stop light tickets already do this.

I've read of gps units being used to monitor taxis and delivery vans. Is this the next step for residential autos?

Virginia, the state that I live in, gives out smart pass data on your vehicle to almost anyone who asks for it.

Basically, I want to know what will be inside the 05, and will you be able to disable whatever it is? :scratch:
Old 8/4/04, 10:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It records the information at the time of the accident, oh and makes your car start, run, the windows go up and down, deploys the airbags, makes your key fobs work.........
Old 8/4/04, 10:36 AM
V6 Member

I would hope that it's just used in the case of a fatal crash with no witnesses... and to expound on that, any crash at all to gain credible information. However, if you live in Soviet Russia, you will be monitored at all times, and one mph over the speed limit will result in the death penalty for you.
Old 8/4/04, 11:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

If you check the news these days, they also use it to determine fault in accidents. Some old guy plowed into a crowded market a while back, killed several and hurt a bunch more, and they determined, after a lot of study, that he hit the gas rather than the brake.

The little black box could have told us that without wasting time and money to figure it out.
Old 8/4/04, 11:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Did you hear that?

I think those where the black helicopters coming to take me away!

Old 8/4/04, 12:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@August 4, 2004, 10:38 AM
It records the information at the time of the accident, oh and makes your car start, run, the windows go up and down, deploys the airbags, makes your key fobs work.........
lol. yaa you sort of need that box. u know, so stuff works
Old 8/4/04, 12:44 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 38special@August 4, 2004, 10:33 AM
I read that 90 percent of cars made in 04 have a little black box that records data.

What does the 05 Mustang have?

Where does this all lead? Speeding tickets in the mail? :bang: video stop light tickets already do this.

I've read of gps units being used to monitor taxis and delivery vans. Is this the next step for residential autos?

Virginia, the state that I live in, gives out smart pass data on your vehicle to almost anyone who asks for it.

Basically, I want to know what will be inside the 05, and will you be able to disable whatever it is? :scratch:
The boxes that are out on the streets today were according to car companys a way to see how your car performed in an auto accident and give them the tools needed to increase safety in new models. The theory is that there is only so much that can be leaned in the lab in testing and the only real way to gain information on real world accidents is to have data on real world accidents. So say that is an invasion of your privacy and I can agree with that to some extect, but keep in mind a lot of the thing we by have little black boxes in them to a degree anyway and nobody says much about that so there you have it.
Old 8/4/04, 12:47 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ya...the original intent was for feedback to the automaker. Insurance companies and law enforcement do want access to those, though.

I don't mind the automaker making a better car, but I do not want the insurance company nor gub'ment to know my driving habits. That almost border on DNA screening to me.
Old 8/4/04, 01:01 PM
legacy Tms Member

As well ,...And this is just a guess that the police have been experimenting with "magnetic pulse's" they fire a signal to a speeding car to disable it ,like in the instance of a high speed chase.In some testing that was done a few years ago I heard that they were knocking out all cars around them When the pulse was fired .
Old 8/4/04, 02:02 PM
V6 Member

My understanding is the the computer records continually on a five second loop. If the airbag is deployed it stores the last five seconds prior to deployment. What is recorded depends on the system, but usually throttle postion, brakes (on or off), gear selection and engine rpm are recorded. From that, you can determine speed, whether the car was accelerating or deccelerating, etc.

Whether it is admissable evidence in a trial is still being fleshed out. The question is: who owns the data? If it is the owner, do they have the right to privacy and to not incriminate themselves? If it is the manufacturer or the state, do people need to be made aware of this recording to safeguard their privacy and make the data admissable in court? Early rulings have leaned towards using the data, but it remains controversial.
Old 8/4/04, 02:08 PM
Cobra R Member

I am not one who is looking for black helicopters.

I heard about the Commonwealth of Virginia giving private information on citizens to others without a warrant. The source of this information was the electronic easy pass system that lets you drive through the fast lane in a toll booth.

This fact made me wonder what info our cars are gathering and who has access to that information.

Last I checked, the constitution protects us from unlawful search.

That does not make me a crazy. :usa:

:bang: ...but I would have proof that the stewards stole the strawberries, if only I had a key to the galley pantry...then I could have scientifically measured, using sand, how many scoops of strawberries were missing.... :bang:
Old 8/4/04, 02:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

It was just for kicks and grins don't get stressed. I more or less do not know a ton about cars so I usually keep my mouth shut.
Old 8/4/04, 02:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Whether the data is used or not, I believe people should be made aware that the car contains this potential.

I am a little mixed on whether is should be used in court. I can see the advantage to catch someone who is not telling the truth. "No really, I was braking for the red light. I just couldn't stop in time."
Old 8/4/04, 07:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok here's my 0.02 cents. I drive a city owned vehicle and was told the vehicle computer records the last 30sec before an impact and this info can and will be used in the accident investigation. The city owns the car so I have no say. AS far as the civilian world goes, I think the info will only be used if there is a fatality or critical injuries and that will depend on the prosecuter and judge's. :cop2:
Old 8/4/04, 07:34 PM
GT Member

Someone call Mulder and Scully.
Old 8/4/04, 08:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

It is not used often in accidents, it is not cheap to hire an expert to read the results. I have seen it do way more good then harm. With a fatal collision involcing an impaired driver usually leaving the innocent victim dead and the drunk alive, the data has been used quite effectively in single-witness situations.
Old 8/4/04, 11:58 PM
legacy Tms Member

I heard that to kevinb where there were faitalities ,...in one case there was no witness the driver said that he had braked and was going at a certain speed..in court it was proved with the box that he didn't even brake and that he was waaayyy over the speed that he had said in court. :cop:

wn3d:
Old 8/5/04, 02:54 AM
GT Member

If it only records the last few seconds prior to an accident and only that data is provided to the parties involved (owner, insurance, law enforcement), then I have no problems with it. Yes, car owners should be told upfront about it and know that this data can be used in court. After a few cases of "My car told on me!", people will more than likely start driving more responsibly.

No, I am not for Big Brother, but I am sick and tired of people causing others harm and getting away with it because they have no regard for others or themselves and abuse the system.

This box should not track your position, monitor your speed, or inform the police when you enter the intersection on an "orange". It should help to alleviate the problems in determining fault and simplify the judicial process.

Of course, we don't live in a perfect world. So be forewarned and know your rights.

:stubborn:
Old 8/5/04, 07:16 AM
GT Member

My take is it will perform exactly like the black box on a plane. Like Tone said, the computer will record continually on a five second loop. If the airbag is deployed it stores the last five seconds prior to deployment. What is recorded depends on the system, but usually throttle postion, brakes (on or off), gear selection and engine rpm are recorded. From that, you can determine speed, whether the car was accelerating or deccelerating, etc. I don't see this as a Big Brother watching over you ploy.