2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Because I'm vindictive...

Search this Thread

Old 12/22/04, 05:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So one of the first dealerships I went to, didn't seem too interested in talking with me but put me on their list to contact when they got a GT premium in.

The moday before I bought mine, I got a call from the arrogant sales person which went like this, "hey we just got in a 05 gt premium black and it's ready for sale, you want it?"

me "uh are you guys selling for msrp?"

Sleazy sells dude "NOPE! You want it?"

me "Nope!"

then he hung up on me, no "ok then, have a nice day" no "well the mark up is negotiable", nothing *click*

I had already been in contact with a fleet manager at another dealership trying to work a deal on msrp. I picked it up on thursady.

Today I gave it a real wash and wax, was a nice day and wanted to drive but had no place to go so I thought, hmm, wouldn't it be fun to go and show that guy he missed out on a sure sell.

So I parked right in front of their sells office, walk in and start asking about availability of the "bullit" style rims from ford. I was in luck, the sales guy I had talked to was there. I was directed to parts dept and walked over. When I got back all the sales people were standing out looking at my GT. As I appraoched it one of them, not the sleazoid but another came up and began making chit chat. Then he finally asks me, "if you don't mind what did you end up paying?" I told him I got it for msrp, and that I had really wanted to keep my business local but "insert name of crappy sales guy" told me the mark up was absolutely non negotiable.

Was oh so satisfying, their lot was completely devoid of customers, they only had V6's with chrome rims on them and a ton of 04's.

I understand it's a business, they are not going to give cars away but it's pretty rediculous when they just assume your blowing smoke and not worthy to buy.

As I was pulling out I took a quick look in the rear view, they were all huddled around the sales guy I origionally talked too, hopefully giving him a good razzing.
Old 12/22/04, 06:14 AM
V6 Member

Nice car btw!
Old 12/22/04, 06:20 AM
Bullitt Member

That's not vindictive, that's fun.
Old 12/22/04, 06:20 AM
Cobra Member

I don't know if it is completely the sales guy's fault. The GM at the dealership makes the final call whether or not to sell a car at a discount. Of course, they should realize a smart customer will shop around and get the best deal, and it resulted in a lost sale. You were smart to purchase elsewhere.

Congratulations on the new GT!
Old 12/22/04, 06:23 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I am debating doing so to the ***** who told me not to come back until I am ready to buy and bring my husband. Needless I didn't buy from them.......I just don't have the cajones to do it.
Old 12/22/04, 06:41 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stick it to 'em, man - nice one!!!
Old 12/22/04, 06:50 AM
Bullitt Member

i am fully planning on doing the same thing to my semi-local dealership who jerked me around the same way. I had to laugh in their faces and walk out of their showroom when they tried to make me a "deal". :bang:

However, my actual local dealer (even though i bought the car somewhere else) is so excited that i am getting one, he wants me to bring it over and show it to him when i get it! lol. i'll let him take it on a drive, he's a cool guy. B)
Old 12/22/04, 06:57 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with what you did. I did the same thing to my local dealer that is only 2 blocks from my house. I drove 30 minutes to another dealer to order my car and once I got it I went to the one near me and said "kinda stinks that you didn't sell this one huh!". They will never learn though, will they....
Old 12/22/04, 07:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good for you nynvolt. I hate dealers trying to get over the sticker for them. I realize they aren't making much on the common cars and need to make money to stay in business. Full sticker is plenty for that. Over sticker is just padding the wallet.

I missed out on an '03 Cobra because of that. I refused to pay over MSRP, they wouldn't sell without the markup, I walked. While I was waiting for the craze to settle down, I started to find out about the '05. I decided to wait for the new Cobra. The wait is KILLIN' me.
Old 12/22/04, 09:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by nynvolt@December 22, 2004, 6:59 AM
I understand it's a business, they are not going to give cars away but it's pretty rediculous when they just assume your blowing smoke and not worthy to buy.
They are not giving cars away when they sell them at MSRP. I saved $2,000 off of MSRP (by using x-plan), and my dealer is still open for business. So I am sure if a dealership got that extra $2,000 for selling it a just the MSRP (and no markup) they would not be hurting.

I had a similar situation. The dealer near my work is problematic. Other Ford dealers tell of horror stories from them. I did call before ordering, and the guy did not offer to order my car (just said they aren't hear yet). So I called around. I found a guy that ordered one for me. I bought it and drive it to work everyday and smile when I pass by the dealer. The best part was one of the salesladies was outside with the manager. I drove by and her jaw dropped and she point at me the whole time as I drove by. I stared back and was just smiling. The manager was not so amused.
Old 12/22/04, 10:03 AM
dke
Bullitt Member

I think the dealers don't learn, because they may not care.

Look, I think it is right that you guys walk and find a better deal. (That's called capitalism). I'd do it and have done it. But from the dealers point of view, they're getting 20 units in the next 6 months (let's say), and they're going to sell all of them. The $500 - $1000 in extra profit on the machine is far more significant than the holding costs for a couple weeks versus a day. So their point of view (business) makes sense too.

The thing that the dealers don't get is that they create a lot of bad-will, that may mean lost future sales or service or word of mouth. (intangibles that they aren't looking at). But the sales people and dealers tend to think in the NOW (this months numbers), and they know that the majority of the public has short memories and likes the convenience of close -- so you'll probably give them another shot in the future or do your repairs there anyways.

There are good salespeople that will explain this to you, and treat you with respect even when you aren't a sale. And then there are the idiots that will hang up -- or tell you to come back with your husband. (That especially cracks me up, since in many families it is the women that make the decisions. Any trained salesperson knows to look to see who has the power in a relationship and work them a little harder than the other -- and to never make assumptions but to make observations).