2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Bad BAD night. Car is hurt real bad

Search this Thread

Old 11/23/06, 12:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a real positive spin on this and it's that you weren't seriously injured. It all pains us to see our cars damaged, but they are replacable or repairable. Very happy you aren't seriously hurt.

Keep your head up, she'll be good as new in no time.
Old 11/23/06, 12:31 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ouch! I'm sorry to hear about your car! It's a very good thing that you are ok though, it's not much to hear as I can understang how you feel about the car, but it is something to be thankful for today.
Old 11/23/06, 12:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I echo the fact that you weren't seriously injuried! I hope it all works out for you because I know that you alot of TLC in your car and something like this is just crappy.
Old 11/23/06, 03:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Dude!!! So glad to hear that you're alright!! Hope u get it fix real soon!!!
Old 11/23/06, 03:52 PM
Cobra Member

I'm echoing comments from the others who've expressed sorrow at your loss, but very grateful that you're ok and noone else was involved. You've got a lot to be thankful this Thanksgiving.

I lost control in the rain in a Trans Am over 25 years ago and wasn't even speeding. The car went all over the road like it was on ice before spinning around and landing on top of a curb. Like you, I was lucky and didn't hit another car. Every time it rains, I'm still overly cautious when I approach a turn.

The stang looks like it might be repairable from the pics. I hope it is totaled, but it would probably take over $20k in damage to meet that amount, unless the frame is FUBAR.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11/23/06, 04:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

thanks guys i hope its not totalled i dont want to part with this car
Old 11/23/06, 05:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

After seeing those pics I want to hurl the Thanksgiving turkey I just ate...
Old 11/23/06, 05:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Good & Bad

Glad you are ok,to bad for the stang.
Old 11/23/06, 06:14 PM

Glad you are ok. Have the car fixed, but then you need to get rid of it. Unless you replace every panel that has damage, your car will have bondo on it. Bondo up north with temperature changes is bad.
Old 11/23/06, 06:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

there will be no bondo. all new panels or i find a new body shop
Old 11/23/06, 07:05 PM
I lust for a M24

The bondo decision will be partially up to you. If you're willing to pay the extra money over the insurance estimate to get panels replaced rather than repaired, then the shop will be happy to do that for you.
Me, I wouldn't worry about it. There's nothing wrong with bondo up North. Bondo has a old reputation from a long time ago when it was used to 'cave and pave.' When applied properly, as it usually is today, it's perfectly fine and is necessary for a good repair. Ever see the amount of filler used on shows such as 'Overhaulin? How 'bout American Hot-Rod? FYI- Cars come with 'Bondo' from the factory. Bondo being the worst thing for a car is an old rumor from people who don't know much about bodywork.

Just trying to give you some info - it might not brighten your day, but I hope it'll make you more comfortable with your repairs.
Old 11/23/06, 07:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

there will be no bondo new panels or a new shop
Old 11/23/06, 08:22 PM

New cars don't have bondo, they are stamped. Besides do you really think they have time on the assemble line to smooth and sand bondo? Overhaulin and Boyd's blunders use it because they hand form parts and can never get a smooth finish.
Old 11/23/06, 11:32 PM
FR500 Member

ron i did get ur email earlier today and saw ur pix....it really hurt me to see the car like that because i know how much u love it. anyways i speak for all of us when i say that im glad ur not hurt. i hope everything works out in ur favor man. it just pains to look at. sorry it happened man. my friends also know how much u loved the car and they were shocked to see it too ....anyway good luck man we all got ur back
Old 11/24/06, 07:28 AM
I Have Admin Envy

did the airbags go? if not, that is a significant savings in repair costs.

Overall the car doesn't look even close to being a total
Old 11/24/06, 08:34 AM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by fullthrottle24
New cars don't have bondo, they are stamped. Besides do you really think they have time on the assemble line to smooth and sand bondo?
Yes, actually they do, but it's not the point of this thread. PM me or start a new thread if you want to talk specifics of fillers used in the manuf vs repair process.

Overhaulin and Boyd's blunders use it because they hand form parts and can never get a smooth finish.
Ding, ding, ding. Exactly. It can be used to get a smooth finish.

I olny posted to help Tbird. Bodywork can be like surgery. It's best to do the least invasive surgery possible. I wouldn't want a bodyshop to cut out and re-weld my entire quarter panel if it only had a 2 hour dent in it. If I walked into a shop demanding that they'd either tell me to get out, or that it's stupid to do that becasue I'm then disturbing all the adjacent panels and creating more opportunity for problems.

The car will never be 'the same as' it was from the factory, but it can be as good. Best of luck.
Old 11/24/06, 08:36 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Glad you are ok. Have the car fixed, but then you need to get rid of it. Unless you replace every panel that has damage, your car will have bondo on it. Bondo up north with temperature changes is bad.
I think he will be able to get new panels, but he my have to pay extra.

By the way, I live farther north than he does and I built a lot of bondo buckets in my youth.
Done right, I've seen bondo stay put for over 20 years.
It's usually the metal it's attached to that falls apart due to salt.
Old 11/24/06, 08:59 AM
Cobra Member

Sorry to hear about your accident... But the from the pictures it looks fixable...
Old 11/24/06, 10:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

i dont think i will have to pay for the new body panels. they need to be repalced, they cant be repaired. the front bumper maybe, but the rest need to be repalced. the airbags did not blow and there is no interior damage.
Old 11/24/06, 05:32 PM
Cobra Member

If you didn't have any of your aftermarket parts insured they are going to give you a very hard time.

In the case this past summer when the chick hit my car, her insurance company paid for all my "Custom" repalacements. I told my insurance company about them and they immediately said that I didn't have them insured and FLAT out told me they were not paying for them.

This is going to be a tough one, but you will get through it. I know a good shop over here. Call me if you are interested.

Quick Reply: Bad BAD night. Car is hurt real bad