2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Bad BAD night. Car is hurt real bad

Search this Thread

Old 11/22/06 | 10:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Bad BAD night. Car is hurt real bad

as the title states a very bad night for me and the mustang.

entering a highway on a night where it was drizzling out, with wet roads, i sped up on the ramp andwent to switch to the center of a 3 lane highway. the back end hydroplaned and started to fishtail out. i corrected it but a little too much and it sent me hurtling toward the concrete median between the 2 directions of traffic on the highway. i was heading into it head on but i managed to straighten the car out as much as i could but the rear swung all the way around and hit the median, of which then the front swung into the median and left the car rolling from the left side of the highway to the right. i ended up in the rightmost lane with the car dead. somehow i remembered about the fuel cutoff switch and got the car started again and moved to the shoulder.

Damage is as follows from what i could see:
  1. Front left and Rear left Rims damaged beyond repair. totally cut up and mangled.
  2. Drivers side Front fender dented and damaged beyond repair
  3. Drivers door slightly dented
  4. Drivers Side rear quarter panel dented definately beyong repair
  5. Front Left suspension is shot, the wheel seemed pushed all the way back towards the door when gonig on the flatbed. hopefully no frame damage but i bet there is
  6. Rear left suspension definately shot
  7. BMR panhard bar bent like a pretzel
  8. Drivers side mirror busted and is MIA at the moment
  9. Drivers Side Saleen side skirt damaged beyond repair and in 2 pieces barely holding it together
  10. Street Scene Rear Valance mangled on drivers side
I dont rememebr calling 911 but i know i did. no injuries except some sort of skin irritation on my left leg and i hit my head on something but its not too bad.

Im amazed that on my trip across all 3 lanes both times i did not manage to hit anyone or anyone hit me.

anyone have any advice on how to handle insurance company? i did have an aftermarket suspension on the car. what do companies typically cover or dont cover? Can they deny my claim altogether and im stuck with the car as is? Do i file this as collision or comprehensive? it didnt invole anyone else.

any help would be appreciated.

its a sad day to be my car. jsut when i got the 9" rear ordered too. now im royally screwed i think.....

ill try and get pics tommorow
Old 11/22/06 | 10:53 PM
GT Member

Glad your okay be thankful for that. With that long list of damage I think she is going to be totalled, and hiitting concrete usually means frame work damage as well. Good to know you are okay Safety first!
Old 11/22/06 | 11:00 PM

Very sorry to hear you had such a bad night. I know its going to be hard to concentrate on anything else but be Thankful that it was just your stang and not you.
Old 11/22/06 | 11:02 PM
I lust for a M24

1 - Glad you're OK
2 - Were you wearing shorts? The skin irritation can be from the airbags if they deployed.
3 - It's collision, not comp.
4 - Got some pics?
5 - If the suspension took that hard of a hit, you may have some movement of your rails where the suspension mounts to the car. The bodyshop will most likely be putting your car on a frame rack, they'll be able to determine how much movement there was and correct it to back within spec... hard to tell just from your description though.
6 - What ins co do you have? Most will cover some a/m equip, but only to a limit that you can find in your policy. I'd check OE prices (at bodyshop cost - not the parts counter) and compare them to your aftermarket equip prices. There's a lot of worthless insurance adjusters who don't know a fender from a quarter panel and they might not know what's stock and what isn't.
7 -They shouldn't be able to deny your claim, but they may drop you for the 'performance enhancements'. The Fast & Furious crowd has made ins co's really watch out for and drop policies on vehicles they think might be used for racing... ins co's consider a lowered suspension a performance mod... let alone your KB SC.
8 - Good luck w/ the fix. This is a crappy way to start a Holiday weekend. Hope you can drink some beers and forget about it for a night.
Old 11/23/06 | 01:23 AM
FR500 Member

Ouch! Glad to hear you're alright. Had a similar type crash with a 5.0 in wet weather. Just be thankful that no one else was involved and you weren't hurt badly. And try not to beat yourself up over it by because it won't help any (speaking from experience). Hopefully everything will get sorted out and you'll be "back in the saddle" soon. Good luck.
Old 11/23/06 | 06:33 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 94tbird
as the title states a very bad night for me and the mustang.
Very, very sorry to hear about this. I know you must be sick about it. Glad you didn't get hurt. I just yesterday saw another forum report about a wrecked Mustang. The pictures were horrible because it rolled several times. The person driving was barely hurt amazingly. It too was due to hydroplaning, so this is something I will be more aware of thanks to these reports. I wish you luck getting back to where you were. Maybe some unforseen good will come of all of this. It sounds like some has already happened since you weren't hurt.
Old 11/23/06 | 06:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

Very sorry to hear that, 05GT O.C.D has the right answers for you. Keep us posted. Glad you are OK. Hope your car recovers fast too.
Old 11/23/06 | 07:13 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Dude we are all glad you came out the way you did without any serious damage but becareful with the ins co. cause if not they may just say "its a car, not really important so it is a total loss, just get a new one", hope it all works out dude
Old 11/23/06 | 07:18 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Deja Vu- Something very smiliar happened to me several years ago... Hydroplaned in a similar fashion but lived to talk about it as you! Fortunately my Humpty Dumpty was put back together and I later sold it as it always seemed to be "used goods" after that albeit fixed.
Old 11/23/06 | 07:38 AM
Cobra R Member

Well that sucks. Sorry to hear it. Fuel cut off switch, wear is it located? Just wondering in case I ever get in a small bump and it wont restart. Is it in the trunk like most cars. Thanks for any info, and sorry again about you car. Hope insurance treats you alright.
Old 11/23/06 | 07:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sodaman
Well that sucks. Sorry to hear it. Fuel cut off switch, wear is it located? Just wondering in case I ever get in a small bump and it wont restart. Is it in the trunk like most cars. Thanks for any info, and sorry again about you car. Hope insurance treats you alright.
Fuel cut-off switch in the '05 was located right beside your left foot when your driving
Old 11/23/06 | 07:47 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Yep. That's were it's at on the 05-07s...
Old 11/23/06 | 07:58 AM
I Have Admin Envy

I'm very sorry to hear you were in an accident, but I'm glad that you were not seriously hurt.

It sounds as if you broke the lower control arm on your front suspension, depending how the damage is, you may be lucky and avoided frame damage... the rear however sounds like it might need some time on the frame machine. In any case, from the sound of your accident, you should have all the measurements checked.

As for insurance... it all depends how reasonable your adjuster is, what the laws are like in NY and what is in your policy. In Ontario, insurance companies are really being **** about modifications and making claims. They refuse to insure your car with a regular policy if you have ANY mods (wheels, exhaust, suspension). If you were up here and that happened and you didn't report your mods, the insurance company would not cover the damages and would throw you off the policy because it is "fraud".

I'd do some research on how it applies to you locally, could be that the insurance company will pay for replacement of any "stock" items, but you'll be on the hook for any aftermarket stuff or the difference. Check around with local people, find a good bodyshop and be thankful you are ok
Old 11/23/06 | 08:06 AM
Bullitt Member

So will he be able to take all of the mods off of the car if they total it? Or will the insurance company just take everything and sell it....

Sorry about your accident man.
Old 11/23/06 | 09:09 AM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by blackstang06
So will he be able to take all of the mods off of the car if they total it? Or will the insurance company just take everything and sell it....

Sorry about your accident man.
He'll be able to take the parts off and put stock parts back on. If he doesn't have the stockers he can still take them off and the ins co will deduct for the missing parts.
Doubt it's totalled though... hope not.
Old 11/23/06 | 09:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
1 - Glad you're OK
2 - Were you wearing shorts? The skin irritation can be from the airbags if they deployed.
3 - It's collision, not comp.
4 - Got some pics?
5 - If the suspension took that hard of a hit, you may have some movement of your rails where the suspension mounts to the car. The bodyshop will most likely be putting your car on a frame rack, they'll be able to determine how much movement there was and correct it to back within spec... hard to tell just from your description though.
6 - What ins co do you have? Most will cover some a/m equip, but only to a limit that you can find in your policy. I'd check OE prices (at bodyshop cost - not the parts counter) and compare them to your aftermarket equip prices. There's a lot of worthless insurance adjusters who don't know a fender from a quarter panel and they might not know what's stock and what isn't.
7 -They shouldn't be able to deny your claim, but they may drop you for the 'performance enhancements'. The Fast & Furious crowd has made ins co's really watch out for and drop policies on vehicles they think might be used for racing... ins co's consider a lowered suspension a performance mod... let alone your KB SC.
8 - Good luck w/ the fix. This is a crappy way to start a Holiday weekend. Hope you can drink some beers and forget about it for a night.

I was wearing pants. I have Esurance. Im not sure whats gonig on yet but i did file the claim, or at least start it last night. here are some pics

Old 11/23/06 | 09:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

That hurts just to look at....but at least you're ok! Things could have been alot worse for you, so count your blessings!

Good luck with the insurance company, hopfully everything will work out perfectly for you.
Old 11/23/06 | 10:51 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

It's not that bad but the wheels are up. At least it's not a total loss
Old 11/23/06 | 11:20 AM
Cobra Member

**** dude, so sorry to hear. But I'm glad your in one peice.
Old 11/23/06 | 12:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Glad you are ok! IMO it is not a total loss, the car is still worth too much. Some companies with spend up to 80% of the cars value before totaling it. Unless your mods were listed, they we only do stock replacments.

Quick Reply: Bad BAD night. Car is hurt real bad