2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/11, 02:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Backup Camera

I want to check with you regarding different options in the location of a backup camera. The main purpose of thi camera would be of course for backing up, but I want it mostly for validation of objects near the car / Bumper, not far away objects

The options I see are:

1. Licence frame type; Much easier to install but is our bumper design going to limit the side angle of the camera and prevent me from a good vision on the car corners ? Will I be limited to see what is dead center only ?

2. Faux Gas Cap keyhole; This location seems nice and very sthealthy but I'm worried about the camera angle, the trunk and the keyhole have a slight upward angle and I'm affraid it won't help me much to estimate distances to my car when backing up. All the pictures I have seen so far tends towards this.

Have you installed a camera on your mustang ?

Where is it located ?

What do you see ?

Thanks for your inputs
Old 1/21/11, 08:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got one that had a small flange, just screwed it into the SHR honeycomb pannel. I love it, a must for a vert, easy to back up and can actually see about 180* so backing out of the drive I can see both directions at once.
will post some pics later.
Old 1/21/11, 08:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yon don't have a picture ? I'm not sure I understand where it is installed
Old 1/22/11, 05:45 AM
GT Member

What are you using for the display?
Old 1/23/11, 02:43 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had used the license fram camera on my 07 and immediately found a problem when using at night. The back up camera lense is located on the frame directly below the license plate light. This washes out the video feed and you can't see anything. During the day it works great and gives a great view but at night.......well big bright furball
Old 1/23/11, 05:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's intersting.....

If I ever decide to got with this solution I think I will add a relay that shuts off the light when the backup light is ON.
Old 1/24/11, 10:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dougxox
I got one that had a small flange, just screwed it into the SHR honeycomb pannel. I love it, a must for a vert, easy to back up and can actually see about 180* so backing out of the drive I can see both directions at once.
will post some pics later.
Who makes that cam?
Old 1/24/11, 01:38 PM

I have mine in the key hole works nice and gives a good view.
Old 1/24/11, 07:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Do you have a spoiler? A GT500 spoiler with a cam mounted in the middle, pointing down, would be perfect (a la OEM 2010+ backup cam).
Old 1/25/11, 07:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Scruffy281
Who makes that cam?
I got it through Super Circuts.com. They had a few of them, I felt this one would work best for my uses.

http://www.supercircuits.com/Securit...-Cameras/PC228

for a search of other cameras use "Vehicle"

Its pretty small, about 1/2" across and flange to flange about an inch.
Old 1/25/11, 07:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dougxox
I got it through Super Circuts.com. They had a few of them, I felt this one would work best for my uses.

http://www.supercircuits.com/Securit...-Cameras/PC228

for a search of other cameras use "Vehicle"

Its pretty small, about 1/2" across and flange to flange about an inch.
Do you have pictures of where it is installed?

That camera body is not threaded is it?
Old 1/25/11, 05:33 PM
Cobra R Member

The camera is not threaded, it mounts by the two holes in the flanges on the sides with some screws.
I'll see if I have some photos, right now the car is in my dad's garage to keep it out of the snow...
Old 1/31/11, 08:04 PM
Cobra R Member

here is a shot of the camers mounted on the SHR rear pannel.
Attached Thumbnails Backup Camera-mtom-mustang_023.jpg  
Old 4/27/11, 08:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Norm1961
I had used the license fram camera on my 07 and immediately found a problem when using at night. The back up camera lense is located on the frame directly below the license plate light. This washes out the video feed and you can't see anything. During the day it works great and gives a great view but at night.......well big bright furball
Finally went with the Boyo license plate camera and as far as glare, this is more true at night, because during the day even with your lights on it has very little effect.

So for night time, either you put your lights off when backing up or do like me and make a small tweak to the license plate light to avoid the license plate light reflection in the camera.

What I did is that I have installed a relay in the trunk that turn off the license plate light when i'm in reverse (using the backup lights as th feed). Very simple and no more reflection at night.

You need a relay with normally closed contacts and then when there's no voltage from the backup lights, the contact are closed and there's voltage to the license plate light but as soon as I put the car in reverse it activate the relay, contact opens and the license plate light shuts off.
All the wires and ground to do this mod are available near the passenger tailight so no long or hard wiring to do.

It's a 10 minute mod...

See final results, not the best shot but I'll try to take a closeup:

Last edited by Dineau; 4/27/11 at 10:31 AM.
Old 4/27/11, 09:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dineau
Finally went with the Boyo and as far as glare, this is more true at night, because during the day even with your lights on it has very little effect.

So for night time, either you put your lights off when backing up or do like me and make a small tweak to the license plate light to avoid the license plate light reflection in the camera.

What I did is that I have installed a relay in the trunk that turn off the license plate light when i'm in reverse (using the backup lights as th feed). Very simple and no more reflection at night.

You need a relay with normally closed contacts and then when there's no voltage from the backup lights, the contact are closed and there's voltage to the license plate light but as soon as I put the car in reverse it activate the relay, contact opens and the license plate light shuts off.
All the wires and ground to do this mod are available near the passenger tailight so no long or hard wiring to do.

It's a 10 minute mod...

How did you mount the camera?
Old 4/27/11, 10:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

it's the Boyo 475 VTL375 license plate version, it's hard to see but this is what it looks like:

Old 4/27/11, 12:54 PM
Bullitt Member

it's the Boyo 475 VTL375 license plate version, it's hard to see but this is what it looks like:

Oh got it. Thought you did keyhole style.
Old 4/27/11, 01:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

No, because the keyhole wasn't giving me good viewing angle. Because of the angle of the trunk I was able to get a good long range view, but not near the bumper so not really a good help when parking close to an object. Also the recess of the keyhole was blocking at lot of the viewing angles.

That's why I went with this solution.
Old 2/6/12, 06:09 PM

Finally went with the Boyo license plate camera and as far as glare, this is more true at night, because during the day even with your lights on it has very little effect.

It's a 10 minute mod...

Hi, I want to install the relay just like you did - great idea! I did all kind of searching and couldn't locate one.
Any idea where I can buy it, or steer me in the right direction?
Thanks!
By the way - great site!
Old 2/6/12, 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just use a standard 12volts relay with "normally closed" contacts. You don't need to go too high in amps as the light is not more than 2 amps. but standard Fog Light relay could do the job since the are cheap.

See this diagram for connection.

So like that, everytime there's 12 volts going to the Backup Lights, the relay will energize and cut the signal to the license plate light. (open contacts 30 and 87a)

Hope this help.

Last edited by Dineau; 2/6/12 at 08:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Backup Camera