2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Axle Whine?

Search this Thread

Old 9/21/05, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

When my Mustang hits 80 mph, and I'm accelerating, like clockwork, I start to hear a higher pitch whine. It's not god-awful, but it doesn't really sound right and does detract from the driving experience.

There's a Tech Bulletin (TSB 05-7-3) that gives a very vague description about an "Axle Whine" problem. I dont know what "Axle Whine" is, but could that be what I'm hearing?
http://www.bradbarnett.net/mustangs/galaxi..._3AxelWhine.pdf

Does anyone else experience this, and under what conditions? I dont think it's the engine, because I can stand on the accelerator and it sounds greate... up until I hit the 80 mph mark.
Old 9/21/05, 08:39 PM
Cobra Member

I haven't heard the noise you're talking about, but I do think the gear noises that other folks have been experiencing are more prone in lower speed ranges, like 40-60 mph. So what you're describing could be axle whine. Was your car built before the Nov date for the TSB?

If so, I'd take it in and show the service writer the TSB.
Old 9/22/05, 12:44 AM

Yeah mine was built before the date (I bought in on December 31st 2004!). I mentioned it when I was in to have them check the brake shreik earlier today, and they just gave me a funny look. I didnt have time to deal with it on this trip, but I think they're going to need a lot of prodding to do anything when I mention that it only happens at 80. I dont know how it is at other dealers, but this guys kick and scream about doing the slightest bit of service. If it wasnt for the TSBs, I'd never get them to do anything I think.
Old 10/1/05, 08:31 AM
GT Member

I just got mine back from the dealer. At 35 mph, I would start hear the rear-end whine, and just continued to get louder as I increased in speed.

They replaced the ring gear, pinion, bearings, shims...everything, under warranty. Took 1 1/2 weeks to get the parts, but was well worth the wait. The service manager stated that the rear ends on these should be set between 0.012 and 0.024 of an inch. If it is set say around 0.020 when initially installed, then when it sets in, it will go beyond 0.024 (too loose), thuse causing the whine. He said that they install them a little tight (approx. 0.008), thus when it sets in, it will be perfect. They have been doing this on everyone they've ever rebuilt and never had anyone come back to complain.
Old 10/1/05, 08:36 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,805 Likes on 2,077 Posts
The 8.8 Differential is Prone to a Whine in about a 6mph Spread. Say for example 72-78 mph or 50-56 mph. It is usually caused by an improperly set up Rear end or a Set of gears that were not properly heat treated. We do a Lot of 8.8s in other models but we have not seen a Mustang with that concern yet.

kc
Old 4/14/06, 11:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think I hear this whine in my '06 GT at around 55-65 mph. It's there, but faint - kinda sounds like tire noise on the road, but it's not. At this point, I think it's too faint to bring it in to the dealer (I'm sure I'll get the "cannot reproduce" response). My question is - even if this is an axle whine, is there some harm in leaving it like that?
Old 4/14/06, 07:18 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lodom @ September 21, 2005, 9:42 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I haven't heard the noise you're talking about, but I do think the gear noises that other folks have been experiencing are more prone in lower speed ranges, like 40-60 mph. So what you're describing could be axle whine. Was your car built before the Nov date for the TSB?

If so, I'd take it in and show the service writer the TSB.
[/b][/quote]

Have you heard of a fix for the transmission gear noise? Mine is REALLY loud between 50-60, and it's been in 3 times, but the Ford Engineer/Tech won't just break down and replace my tranny.
Old 4/16/06, 11:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm going in Monday, April 17, for the whining issue. I'm bringing my TSBs with and leaving the car until that darn whine is gone!! It started off subtle, but quickly escalated to a daily experience from heck. The noise is REALLY noticeable outside the car, so while Mustang driver's think it's annoying, it gives other people with their windows down another reason to knock Ford's quality, which in this case they should.

The tech first replaced my rear brake pads using the "easiest TSB's go first" method, but the whine is alive and strong. Let me add it does not usually start until you drive for a few minutes, but then it doesn't stop, so it's peculiar in that respect. Also, it occurs faster on a warm day, so if you ARE going to take your Pony in, be SURE it's a warm day or your dealer will play stupid, which may very well be the case anyways. Let's face it, some Ford's cost as much as a BMW, but Ford personnel will never know "Customer Service" includes sucking up when quite frankly, is exactly what they should be doing to win people back. Oh well, rant over, thank you very much, lol... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck everyone!