2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

AutoWeek First Drive, Oct 4

Search this Thread

Old 9/30/04, 06:45 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by branch@September 30, 2004, 3:35 PM
AutoWeek did a brief 2 page overview on the 05 GT, with mixed opinions. In brief, liked the exterior but to plain, no real design elements, likened it to a plastic model car.
I guess AutoWeek has a different concept of design than I do. I think the concept hood would be a nice addition, but the overall design of the '05 is great.

As for the "plastic" comment, that's what I've always thought of the SN95 design. All the scoops and spoilers make them look like plastic toy cars to me. The '05 looks like a real car.
Old 9/30/04, 09:21 PM
V6 Member

bland? and somehow they find a way to praise the ridiculous looks of the evo, wrx, rsx, celica, eclipse, and the corolla typeS???? yeah, i'm goin to believe these idiots.
Old 9/30/04, 09:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, AutoWeek is NOT my source of good auto reviews... I love AUTOMOBILE magazine and to some extent, Road & Track is pretty good too. Anyone listening to AutoWeek needs a second opinion.
Old 9/30/04, 09:31 PM
V6 Member

i have a 95 stang and an 01 stang, they both have the live axle setup. yes the ride is bumpy at times, but its not like the same bumps arent noticed in other cars. i've never had a problem in the handling department either. if you track guys are in such a desperate need of irs, fine good for you, wait for the cobra or an SE or get another car. in the real world, where most people (i'd bet at least 90%) dont go to tracks, wouldnt care less about irs. 99.99% of the time, guess what, we are going straight, and thank god the new 05 has spent the money for 300hp and not some ludacris european suspension. we just dont need it here in the USA.
i'm not saying the suspension in the 05 is bad, it is by far better than what i've ever had. I've done some crazy stuff in my stangs, and not once did i ever feel lost in control. If you are losing control in a stang, either 1) you really dont know how to drive and you blame it on the lack of IRS, or 2) you need to drive less like a crazy maniac. oh yeah, and 3) you go to tracks, (but what percent really does that? )
Old 9/30/04, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by The Boss Hog@September 30, 2004, 5:09 PM
Call me crazy, but the solid rear axle was a big factor in my decision to go with the Mustang over the new GTO.
Same here.
Old 9/30/04, 10:44 PM
Banned

Originally posted by G8trStang@September 30, 2004, 11:24 PM
bland? and somehow they find a way to praise the ridiculous looks of the evo, wrx, rsx, celica, eclipse, and the corolla typeS???? yeah, i'm goin to believe these idiots.
I wonder what they would say about the 67-69 stangs ...
Old 9/30/04, 10:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Speaking of mags, Road and Track has a quickie spot about the new Stang and confirms a December review (far away, wonder why). Nice pic of those rims again!

Old 10/1/04, 12:01 AM
GT Member

Autoweek loves Acura and Infinity, not Ford...I'll wait for Motorweek's impression this weekend, wonder if it'll be in Gauss's Garage?

Though some time (maybe even 2-3 years) will need to pass in order to compare the Live vs IRS skidpad numbers, let's see how Steeda/Saleen tweek the new suspension and what numbers they can produce. A suspension aftermarket upgrade package will cost less and can be enjoyed today, instead of complaining of an expensive future.
Old 10/1/04, 01:16 AM

from what i understand(from other topics like this) is that the IRS wouldnt cost that much more but.......lets not go there.

Point is this car pulled .84 on the skidpad and a 66 mph skidpad with 55 series all season tires in 235 width. Can you imagine a fat set of 8 1/2-9 inch rims with 255 SUMMER rubber. I can imagine .9 or with that alone. So in conclusion, yes lack of IRS is a little dissapointing, but obviously this car was well designed for handling and does mighty well given its pedigree. Given 3000 well placed dollers you could make this car handle very well IMO, and thats cheap as far as good suspension goes.

Jason
Old 10/1/04, 02:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by pitpup@September 30, 2004, 6:00 PM
... my wayward son... there'll be peace when you are done!
Don't you cry no more.......................
Old 10/1/04, 02:36 AM
Cobra R Member

canadian prices

G35 manual msrp = $47,700

GT Mustang manual = $32,795

price difference = 14,905

for the price difference alone i could almost buy a new 04 V6 mustang (19,995)

Yes the G35 is a very nice car,but its missing that something that makes one passionate about cars,i cant really describe that feeling in words,but the 05 mustang just seems to have it...

Good luck with your decision branch:
Old 10/1/04, 02:51 AM
GT Member

For those who haven't read it, you can go here to read the LA Car.com review.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=6494
Old 10/1/04, 05:37 AM
GT Member

from the recent USA Today review:

"The solid rear axle forces both rear wheels to jump when only one goes over a bump. In theory, that should cause a rougher ride and flighty steering. Nope. Lots of reengineering of spring and shock absorber location and clever design, sizing and placement of suspension components seem to have all but eliminated the ills associated with a solid rear axle, at least during vigorous driving on public roads."

so there you have it, everyone let out a deeeeep breath, and enjoy
Old 10/1/04, 07:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by rhumb@September 30, 2004, 3:43 PM
Seems to comport with some other early reviews/observations. Live(ly) axle is an unfortunate cost-cutting step that only the hard core drag racers and penny pinchers will love.

HELLLLLLLLL OOOOOOO !!! Ford is marketing and merchandising this thing just right ...... They will be up selling with the IRS as an upgrade feature.

V6
V8 GT
SE - some with IRS, some not
SVT - IRS

There are those like me that would love to have the GT, but I am waiting to buy the SVT because I know it will have all the goodies of the GT PLUS the SVT. I am willing to pay more for the upgraded features. That is how the manufacturing game is played. Eventually we may see migration of other "premium" offerings, but the IRS will always be reserved for the top models.

If Ford stuffed the IRS into the GT, why would anyone want to buy the SE or SVT versions? More HP ?? LEss price?? Nope ..don't think so.

These people need to get off the IRS subject. It was done purposefully, oh by the way you get the added cost benefit.

Keep up the good work Ford!!
Old 10/1/04, 08:38 AM
V6 Member

I had a g35 6mt...it was a sweet looking car...dark blue on black leather w/nav.
But you are either a fan of american muscle or you are not. I am and I just could never get used to the fact that I was paying on a 38k loan for a v6...I thought I would but I did not. The engine gets the job done but it's just not fun.
That and there there were at lot of things about that car that stink that you'll never hear about in the mags...silver painted interior parts that scratch easily, too heavy to hangle that great, very notchy shifter, uncomfortable seat (lower bolsters too close), bose radio blows...lots of little things that you should'nt have to put up with on such a pricey car.
Bottom line is the looks of car are incredible but it it just doesn't drive like a kick-hiney sports car.
I ended up selling mine and I'm currently doing "probe pennance" as I save for my '05 stang...
Old 10/1/04, 09:14 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love people who knock a car without even driving it....
Old 10/1/04, 09:21 AM
GT Member

I agree!! Once you have driven this car you will love it!!

As far as the IRS: it was suppose to go into the original '05 mustang, but was replaced 2 years ago by Ford Management for cost reasons. It saved Ford $100 / car to go to the SRA (solid rear axle). The only problem was that Ford took a penalty for weight when they went ot SRA
Old 10/1/04, 09:26 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still don't know why they insist on comparing the Mustang to the Z350. They are in a totally different class. That's like comparing a chevette to a camero "The chevette's power, although a little more than a turtle, lacked the superior handling of the camero"

Quick Reply: AutoWeek First Drive, Oct 4