2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

AutoWeek First Drive, Oct 4

Search this Thread

Old 9/30/04, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems to comport with some other early reviews/observations. Live(ly) axle is an unfortunate cost-cutting step that only the hard core drag racers and penny pinchers will love.

Hopefully, the Cobra's IRS will become more broadly available across the model line for those of us who drive further than a quarter mile on streets with curves and lumps.
Old 9/30/04, 04:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by branch@September 30, 2004, 3:35 PM
............and will wait to test drive one before deciding on it or a G35 6mt, admitedly about $8k more MSRP, but only $6K transaction price, and over a 10 year life, pennies a day.
Yeah, but you wont get that beautiful, throaty V-8 sound. :nono:
Old 9/30/04, 04:12 PM
FR500 Member

2slack is right....but with the g35 u get the kinda rice sound and its ugly anyway
Old 9/30/04, 04:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

and........more people to talk to if you have a Mustang. More mods available too.
Old 9/30/04, 04:43 PM
V6 Member

I have seen some of the cars Autoweek goes crazy over. And they are calling the Mustang plain? LOL
Old 9/30/04, 05:04 PM
Cobra Member

branch-Are all of your posts negative and trolling

on a good note, thanks for bringing to our attention about AutoWeek.
Old 9/30/04, 05:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Call me crazy, but the solid rear axle was a big factor in my decision to go with the Mustang over the new GTO. I have had two cars with IRS (75 Vette, '90 Thunderbird SC) and I just don't see the big advantage of IRS. Just more u-joints to break! And if they think the Mustang is plain, have they ever looked at the GTO?

The Boss Hog
Old 9/30/04, 05:17 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by branch@September 30, 2004, 3:35 PM
no real design elements
I really get a kick out of people who have no idea what design is, talk about it
Old 9/30/04, 05:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by The Boss Hog@September 30, 2004, 6:09 PM
Call me crazy, but the solid rear axle was a big factor in my decision to go with the Mustang over the new GTO. I have had two cars with IRS (75 Vette, '90 Thunderbird SC) and I just don't see the big advantage of IRS. Just more u-joints to break! And if they think the Mustang is plain, have they ever looked at the GTO?

The Boss Hog
I would have paid to have IRS as an option. Ford went cheap and used a solid rear axle. I enjoy tracking my car every once in a while and enjoy safely pushing my car into turns on the streets. The handling benefits would have been worth it to me and I am sure many others. Making it an option would have satisfied road racers/autocrosser and drag racers. Even though its a common misconception that IRS suspensions are poor for drag racing.
Old 9/30/04, 05:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by rhumb@September 30, 2004, 3:43 PM
Seems to comport with some other early reviews/observations. Live(ly) axle is an unfortunate cost-cutting step that only the hard core drag racers and penny pinchers will love.

Hopefully, the Cobra's IRS will become more broadly available across the model line for those of us who drive further than a quarter mile on streets with curves and lumps.
I completely agree. Not everyone on this forum is obsessed wth the 1/4 mile. I saw a poll where more than 50% of the members here have never been to the track. In the real world, which comes complete with potholes and bumps in corners. I want a real suspension.

We may see IRS pop up on Special Editions next year even before releases the Cobra (this is just a guess) but at some point Ford will have to make it available as at least as an option.

I can live with the interior easily. It's vastly superior to my 95, and the Mustang is built to a price point.

branch--i didn't find your post at all negative. I am also looking at the G35 and a couple of others as an alternative to the Mustang.

Ford will sell a lot of them, just not to me-yet.
Old 9/30/04, 05:44 PM
Banned

Originally posted by branch@September 30, 2004, 5:35 PM
AutoWeek did a brief 2 page overview on the 05 GT, with mixed opinions. In brief, liked the exterior but to plain, no real design elements, likened it to a plastic model car. Liked the interior but luke warm on the cost cutting cheap hard plastic. Handling superior to former GT, crisp and sharp reflexes,maybe GTO, but inferior to Z350...........exactly like one of our members reported months ago and was unfairly criticized.
Lastly, and I quote " All of that we can deal with(car's shortcomings). What we can't comprehend is Ford continuinintg to equip the first 21st centrury Mustang with a live rear axle............while the competition squeezed it in with the cost of admission'. Interestingly, all these comments are mine EXACTLY............and will wait to test drive one before deciding on it or a G35 6mt, admitedly about $8k more MSRP, but only $6K transaction price, and over a 10 year life, pennies a day.
Can you type up the entire article? Or scan it?

As far as the live rear axle goes ... this is a car that starts at under $20,000. What "competition" squeezed it in that starts at that price? Even the $25,000 GT starting price, who is the competition with the IRS at that price? Maybe I'm missing something? If Ford was charging GTOish prices for this car, it would have IRS. However, they aren't, and it doesn't. If you want it, spend the extra money and get the GTO or 350z or whatever you want. I'll stick with the awesome styling and the better price.
Old 9/30/04, 05:45 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another live axle debate

I thought this topic was beaten do death, can't we just agree to disagree?

Ok, to recap, before the insults start flying:

-The Mustang has a 3-link solid rear axle. This does not bother many, it bothers some. Yes this is a cost cutting measure, no one has solved a puzzle by pointing that out.

-Yes, there is competition that have independant rear suspensions, they do cost more, bottom line, this still cost more, if $8000 more is not a financial issue, neither is waiting for an IRS Cobra.

This thread can go for 100 pages, here's why

-The people that complain about IRS, will not stop arguing about the lack of IRS

-The people that are indifferent will just defend the Mustang

and so it goes.... (we can do a search and find a few other old threads )

Just like the differing opinions of the proponents of IRS/Solid Axle crowd, magazine writers have bias and their own opinions. Drive the car yourself, if you don't like it, there are $3500 rebates at your local Pontiac dealer for the GTO.

I apologise for being blunt, but since I have joined the board, there have at least 10-15 of these threads, almost every one has been locked because it has turned into hurling of insults.

If people want to debate about it, no problem, but I really see no point

Carry on
Old 9/30/04, 05:55 PM
Bullitt Member

This topic has been beaten to death before and most of the time it doesn't end up too good.

Fact - The 05 Mustang has a live rear axle, no point in discussing it now, since it won't change, in the future it might.

If the IRS over the rear axle is that much of a deciding factor for you then you probably need to start heavily looking at other cars ex. 350Z, G35 or whatever else.

Hope I don't offend anyone
Old 9/30/04, 05:57 PM
FR500 Member

But...But....But..... BurgerFlickle!!!
Old 9/30/04, 05:57 PM
Cobra Member

... my wayward son... there'll be peace when you are done!
Old 9/30/04, 05:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hau tang or however you spell it said they were designing a new IRS but it needs to handle the New Cobra's power without taking up rear seat space. They will have one when they get it designed if it is offered in other Stangs beside the Cobra no one has said. Most likely it will be offered in other SE's. Personally I like the live axle just fine but wouldn't say no to IRS unless it cost to much. Have patience and don't hate live axle it works just fine. If you want Bree and cavier buy a BMW.
Old 9/30/04, 06:02 PM
Bullitt Member

If the IRS over the rear axle is that much of a deciding factor for you then you probably need to start heavily looking at other cars ex. 350Z, G35 or whatever else.
or a cobra, or Special Edition Mustang or...
Old 9/30/04, 06:33 PM
Bullitt Member

The mustang has live rear axle?

No kidding.
Old 9/30/04, 06:40 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been one of the people whinning for IRS.

However as the reviews start coming in some of us should not be so quick to dis the live axle until we've driven it.

From the Orlando Sentinal review that Elenor posted. (the writer is a car rag guy).

......... but the rear axle and suspension is so well engineered that you don't miss the independent rear, nor its extra weight or cost.

Quick Reply: AutoWeek First Drive, Oct 4