The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   Auto vs Manual (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/auto-vs-manual-411213/)

jsmth86 6/9/05 09:02 PM

I am going to order a 06 GT in December. But I cannot decide between auto or manual. I have been reading posts on here where when you shift the manual from 1st to 2nd you can leave rubber and when shifting to 3rd the tires chirp. My question is, is the auto capable of the same thing or is it just every other auto and it has a smooth shift? Also what kind of burnout is the Auto capable of? Where I live the traffic is not that bad. The growth is comming and in 5-10 years the area will be heavly populated. That is the only reason I would want to get the Auto. I plan to keep it at least 5 years and I would not want to regret my choice later down the road. My current car is a 66 stang but it only has the 200 I6 (120) and none of my family or friends have such a high preformance vehicle that can compete with the Mustang GT.

Jeff

biznazion 6/9/05 09:30 PM

my 0.02 - manual.

05GT-O.C.D. 6/9/05 09:36 PM

.02 more... manual.

you're up to $0.04 now!

wifewantedaGT 6/9/05 09:44 PM

People that know my wife can't believe that she wanted the manual. She has been driveing 4 door sedans for the last 12 years and she said she wanted to have fun when she was driveing for a change. It had been 10 years since she drove a manual. She jumped in it and never missed a beat. :drive:
I guess that makes $0.06 :-D

yur1279 6/9/05 09:58 PM

If traffic is really no issue now, i'd say manual. I went with an auto mainly because of traffic and although I like it, manual woudl be a tad more fun if there was no traffic.

Badandy 6/9/05 09:58 PM

Manual

Giddyup 6/9/05 10:54 PM

The size of the car, and traffic = Automatic for me

94tbird 6/9/05 10:55 PM

manual

wild stray 6/9/05 11:08 PM

I'd prolly start worrying about it in about five years....but for now, manual. Besides, this is a pretty easy manual to drive, even in traffic.
Hydraulic clutch and plenty of torque......enjoy it while you can.

Paul

KansasCityTim 6/9/05 11:17 PM

Manual....you lose so much of the feel of driving a car like this with an auto.

BigDog 6/10/05 03:38 AM

I went with the auto because of traffic, too, but I would have preferred the stick shift.

Blk'05 6/10/05 04:03 AM

Traffic or not..Manual. No question :nice: . I dont think the car will be as fun to drive if it was auto(I had a 97 auto GT, boooooriiing!! :notnice: )

Blk'05 6/10/05 04:05 AM

Originally posted by BigDog@June 10, 2005, 7:41 PM
I went with the auto because of traffic, too, but I would have preferred the stick shift.

Sooooo, you really wanted a manual but because of traffic you got an auto?.. :shame:

scottie1113 6/10/05 04:17 AM

After 37 years of driving a manual, I bought an auto because of traffic and I love it. I don't think you lose a thing with an auto. Yeah, I know people talk about feeling more in control (which I dispute) or more connected (which I agree with) with a manual, but an auto lets you focus your attention on your driving.

You'll get as many opinions about this topic as there are members on the site but it's your call. Whichever way you go, enjoy the car and don't worry about what anybody else thinks.

TorchRedGT 6/10/05 05:00 AM

Manual all the way... Mustangs shouldn't even be made with an auto trans! I drive 40min of traffic in the morning rushhour and in the evening rushhour with a manual and love it. If you really want a manual, than you won’t use traffic as a justification for getting anything else.

ISELLFORD 6/10/05 05:15 AM

My '01 and '04 GT Verts were automatics. I had originally ordered a loaded auto '05 GT vert and after waiting 6 months without it being pulled, I put my name on a stock 5-speed GT vert that got scheduled. I was a little apprehensive as i ahd not driven a stick as an personal vehicle for decades [I do drive them in my work though on occasion].
Boy am I glad i got the 5-speed. Ths car is just TOO much fun to drive!

Hada69 6/10/05 05:36 AM

I have an automatic and would get a manual if I had to do it again. Its not a daily driver. A manual would be much more fun IMHO!

skitch 6/10/05 05:54 AM

I ordered mine with auto just because I'm not all that thrilled with driving a stick any more. I'm catching a lot of poop from my friends for ordering and auto, but ya have to do what makes you happy. It's all about what you want.

CelticNut 6/10/05 06:17 AM

Hey Jeff, you are a smart fella for taking the time to consider this. You'll be spending a lot of money on this car, so you should be sure about what you get. Do what I did: test drive both! (If you're able, I know GTs are kinda scarce these days.)

If you can test both, get on them a little. It's the only way you'll know for sure which way to go.

I enjoyed driving the automatic, but I felt a little more engaged in the act of driving while piloting the manual. I think the added responsibility of selecting gears might actually make you a more focused driver. Just my opinion.

Good luck on your decision. :nice:

holderca1 6/10/05 06:29 AM

Originally posted by scottie1113@June 10, 2005, 4:20 AM
but an auto lets you focus your attention on your driving.

Actually I think drivers of autos pay less attention to driving than those with manuals. It is a lot easier to talk on a cell phone, eat, put make up on, shave with an auto. A manual pretty much forces you to pay attention to what you are doing.