2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Auto Transmission in GT Hissing sound normal.

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/06 | 04:09 PM
GT Member

Auto Transmission in GT Hissing sound normal.

Hey everbody. I was at the drive thru the other day and as I was sitting up against the wall of Taco Bell I noticed that the transmission sure does make alot of hydraulic noises or a "hissing sound". It will only make this sound when in Drive or Reverse.

In Nuetral all is quiet. I know that this is a large transmission and it is bound to make some noise. All mechanical things will make some noise. But I was just wondering if others have noticed? Do we agree that this is normal?

Let me know.....

Thanks
Old 9/18/06 | 05:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

No hissing from my tranny. You sure you dont have a snake under there or something?
Old 9/18/06 | 08:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I haven't noticed any hissing sound either.
Old 9/19/06 | 03:49 PM

I noticed the same hissing noise with mine as well. It may be normal.
Old 9/19/06 | 04:13 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TJKII
I noticed the same hissing noise with mine as well. It may be normal.
Thank god
Old 9/20/06 | 11:58 AM
Cobra Member

Are you sure it isn't rear end gear whine. The trans on manuals do whine a little but I wouldn't think it would be with the auto.
Old 9/20/06 | 01:06 PM
V6 Member

Mine does the same thing but I only notice it in reverse...
Old 9/20/06 | 01:33 PM
V6 Member

I noticed mine aswell and took it to the dealer and was told that it's normal. Only happens when in gear. Out of gear and it goes away. Was told if it get's louder or if any problems with the tranny to take it back.
Old 9/20/06 | 01:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

It was probably your digestive tract hissing at the thought of the Taco Bell you were about to toss down it
Old 9/20/06 | 02:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

The hiss is normal from what I have seen. It seems more noticable in V6 cars than in GT's. Maybe because of the exhaust note.
Old 9/20/06 | 04:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mach1fever
Are you sure it isn't rear end gear whine. The trans on manuals do whine a little but I wouldn't think it would be with the auto.
No its not that. I had that. So I know exactly what that noise was. But I appreciate your suggestion.
Old 9/22/06 | 05:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

Mine ('06 GT Auto) sounds like a jet whine at low speeds, but is not loud enough to be annoying at this point. It shifts perfectly, so I'm not planning to take it to the dealer since I can't seem to find a Ford service dept. in my area that knows what the **** they are doing anyway. I've tried several and they all seem to break one thing while trying to fix another .
Old 9/22/06 | 08:56 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by IWantMyNewGT
Mine ('06 GT Auto) sounds like a jet whine at low speeds, but is not loud enough to be annoying at this point. It shifts perfectly, so I'm not planning to take it to the dealer since I can't seem to find a Ford service dept. in my area that knows what the **** they are doing anyway. I've tried several and they all seem to break one thing while trying to fix another .
My thoughts EXACTLY
Old 9/22/06 | 09:40 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by IWantMyNewGT
I can't seem to find a Ford service dept. in my area that knows what the **** they are doing
That sounds like the three dealers within 20 miles of my house. I hope my car is trouble free because I don't know who I would take it to. It's like trying to pick the worst of three evils. They certainly could learn a thing or two about the service department at the Acura dealer I've been to for general maintenance items on the wife's old RL.
Old 9/23/06 | 08:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

C'mon, it only took my dealer 4 tries to fix the rear end whine............

Have to check for the hissing sound though. I've probably been through a taco bell drive through a hundred times in the last couple of years and didn't notice it
Old 9/23/06 | 10:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TUNGSTALLION
Hey everbody. I was at the drive thru the other day and as I was sitting up against the wall of Taco Bell I noticed that the transmission sure does make alot of hydraulic noises or a "hissing sound". It will only make this sound when in Drive or Reverse.

In Nuetral all is quiet. I know that this is a large transmission and it is bound to make some noise. All mechanical things will make some noise. But I was just wondering if others have noticed? Do we agree that this is normal?

Let me know.....

Thanks
Are you sure you are not confusing the origin of that hissing sound with the a/c compressor purge valve ?
Just asking...
Old 9/24/06 | 09:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I haven't noticed any hissing sounds.
Old 5/23/08 | 08:51 PM
legacy Tms Member

hmm...old thread, but- changed the oil in the wifes 07 v6 tonight, first time Ive had it in the garage...backing it off the lift, thought man this thing sounds like its low on tranny fluid or something...inside the garage you really notice the noise, only in reverse. went from drive to reverse a couple times, and quiet in drive, hissing like a power steering relief valve blowing off when the wheels are turned to the stops. strangest thing was I sat there in reverse for a little bit(maybe 15 seconds or so) and the hissing quieted down, almost as quiet as in drive- as Ive heard the autos no longer have a friggin dipstick(c'mon Ford...how cheep can you get?), is there a idiot light or anything that comes on if it gets low on tranny fluid?
Old 5/23/08 | 10:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
hmm...old thread, but- changed the oil in the wifes 07 v6 tonight, first time Ive had it in the garage...backing it off the lift, thought man this thing sounds like its low on tranny fluid or something...inside the garage you really notice the noise, only in reverse. went from drive to reverse a couple times, and quiet in drive, hissing like a power steering relief valve blowing off when the wheels are turned to the stops. strangest thing was I sat there in reverse for a little bit(maybe 15 seconds or so) and the hissing quieted down, almost as quiet as in drive- as Ive heard the autos no longer have a friggin dipstick(c'mon Ford...how cheep can you get?), is there a idiot light or anything that comes on if it gets low on tranny fluid?

Haha! This is from awhile ago. I remember posting it.

I still have this noise. But everything is cool. I've not had any problems with the transmission.
Old 5/24/08 | 08:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bwilder10h
Mine does the same thing but I only notice it in reverse...
Same here, and only when backing into my garage where the sound has a wall to bounce off of.

Tim

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission in GT Hissing sound normal.