2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Auto or manual

Search this Thread

Old 7/30/05, 08:31 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've said it before and will say it again, forget what other people think and get what ever you feel comfortable with. If you hate driving manual trans your gonna still hate it in a "sports car". I like manual, it can be alot of fun to drive, when you can actually use more than first and second. There are some disadvantages with the auto, especially if your used to the stick, like semi romping on it and not getting that direct feel your used to. Over all I really like my auto but would probably be just as happy with stick, and telling you only sissies drive auto. :P
Old 7/30/05, 08:56 AM
GT Member

facts are facts. sure the new 5 speed is "better" than the old 4 speed auto, but you still have a torque converter, and that robs you of HP. If you are getting the stang for performance reasons, then go manual.

if you want a car to ride, then get an auto.
Old 7/30/05, 10:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Manual is the only way to fly!
Old 7/30/05, 10:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by metfoo@July 30, 2005, 6:59 AM
facts are facts. sure the new 5 speed is "better" than the old 4 speed auto, but you still have a torque converter, and that robs you of HP. If you are getting the stang for performance reasons, then go manual.

if you want a car to ride, then get an auto.
For me, it was a no-brainer in getting an automatic. I bought the car to ride...... If it was a smaller car than it is, and also more nimble (i.e. sports car), then I would have gave the manual more consideration
Old 7/30/05, 10:43 AM
GT Member

I say...

Ultimately, it's a personal pref. As noted, some of the folks like the manual because they feel like they are "one with the car". Others like the auto because it's "convenient" (like the power windows). If you are going to race it..well.. then there are performance considerations.

Bottom Line:

You're the one who's going to have to drive it. Get what you want and don't worry what other's think. It's your car. Asking for advice is always a good idea. But it's ultimately your decision.
Old 7/30/05, 10:44 AM
Bullitt Member

This is my first car with an auto tranny (drove stick for 20 years) and I can't be more happy than I am.
Both types of trannies are very good, as many said it comes down to whatever your preference is.
Also, if you are a young guy (I'm 37, so not so young anymore), it wouldn't be bad for you to be able to learn to operate a stick: it's a nice skill to have, it's fun.
If comfort while still having fun is your thing, then go with the auto...
Good luck.
Old 7/30/05, 12:20 PM
Bullitt Member

The new AT's are NOT your old "slush box" they are very efficient units. The performance difference is marginal. And yes you can have fun with a auto. I've driven both and they are equally fast up to legal speeds. After a while the novelty or "fun" of a manual wears off and it gets to be work especially in heavy traffic like here in Atlanta. Get what you want, its your money.
Old 7/30/05, 04:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, I've got a spurred heal in my left foot, arthritis in my left foot & knee, & thankfully it doesn't hurt at all when I'm working the cllutch pedal. The manual trans is so much fun that it's funny. Stop & Go traffic isn't a bother at all. In fact I've gotten so used to it that I've got to remind myself at times that it exist so I get the "fun" factor out of the manual trans. To those that can't tolerate this & opt for an automatic trans I understand.
Old 7/30/05, 05:10 PM
GT Member

the gearing does make the auto more efficient, but the torque converter is still there, and that makes it less efficient, and robs some HP.
Old 7/30/05, 05:52 PM

Thanks for your reply, i`m appreciate!
I`m just looking in newspaper car for sale
mustang 03 ,04, and the price for an automatic
are cheaper compare a manuel and the auto
is most expensive of 1k when they built it?
The auto don`t keep his value?
Old 7/30/05, 06:08 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by centurionCanada@July 30, 2005, 6:55 PM
Thanks for your reply, i`m appreciate!
I`m just looking in newspaper car for sale
mustang 03 ,04, and the price for an automatic
are cheaper compare a manuel and the auto
is most expensive of 1k when they built it?
The auto don`t keep his value?
That's really interesting. Normally auto's hold their value just as well, if not better. I've got 2 theories; 1) Supply and demand. If your market has a higher number of auto's than standards, then with an adequate demand the standard would not depreciate as fast. Theory 2) In a sports/muscle car, the standard shifters might be more 'car guys'... taking better care of their cars, adding more mods, etc, and potentially making them worth more.

Disclaimer: That theory in no way says that auto drivers don't take care of thier cars or aren't just as enthusiastic (sp?) about them. It simply means that a smaller number of people drive the stick, while anyone in the car market, including my grandma might be interested in the auto.

Most likely it's a combination of both ideas, as well as other factors. Ultimately, it depends on your driving and travel needs/habits.
Old 7/30/05, 06:13 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Stustang05@July 30, 2005, 7:29 AM
I've had plenty of both, and I have no problem with the auto in my GT. It shifts great and the car is plenty fun to drive. I do have to do a bit of stop and go driving, however, and I think if I were mainly going to drive on open roads, I would have gone with the manual. You oughta be happy either way - the Mustang is almost more fun than should legally be allowed!

yes.....I too have had my share of stick over the last 30 years of driving. They are fun to drive and you do have great contol of the car. However, If you havnt experienced the drive of the GT 5 speed auto .... do yourself a favour and give it a try. It moves up the gears effortllessy and smoothly all while keeping that throaty sound , the tranny works its shifts as if it were stick. Having said that....enjoy whatever you drive because the Mustang is an Icon .... and most of us bought it because of its looks and its name. Have Fun!!!! Fellow Stangers!!!
Old 7/30/05, 09:22 PM
Bullitt Member

One other note,

When you figure in the cost of changing the clutches, the higher initial cost of the auto is more or less offset over the life of the car. Especially if you abuse the clutch a lot ( and most pony owners do )....

P.S. It is interesting in that around here the 04' and older auto sell for less, but a quick check of the used 05' around here showed that the autos are fetching a higher price ( more than the $900 initial cost ) than the manuals...

Maybe it is people buying them for wifes or daughters... who knows... It more likely has to do with location. The auto are usually worth more in high traffic areas...
Old 7/30/05, 09:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

This is getting too technical, as long as I'm healthy it's going to be standard shift no matter if the autos become faster & cheaper.
I don't care about anything else. Neither should anyone who is also well abled.
Old 7/31/05, 04:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Auto=matic
Old 7/31/05, 04:55 PM
Bullitt Member

I ordered a GT this month with a manual, but I am having second thoughts. I drove a GT auto., nice! However, a GT is a sportscar, therefore, only a manual is appropriate. That's what me thinks...but still not sure.

Old 7/31/05, 05:00 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe we should make this a stickey since this seems to pop up every month... Blake???
Old 8/1/05, 09:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Personally I think the manual would be tons more fun...............if I didn't have to deal with Atlanta traffic on a daily basis. That being said I still almost went with the stick, until the wife said no auto no Mustang. That kind of cinched it for me. Love the auto so far. Yes, I miss the stick, but I don't regret getting the auto.

Jason
Old 8/1/05, 09:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

I chose manual because usually in most circumstances a car of this magnitude with an auto would eat the power alive, but that's not the case because the difference between the manual and auto in 0-60 times in .2 tenths of a second which is good considering which is due to the auto being a 5sp auto and not a 4spd auto .
Old 8/1/05, 10:02 AM
Cobra Member

i choose both!!!

Quick Reply: Auto or manual