Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Many of you can say sport car = manual,
but with the automatic 5 speeds. Can we have fun
with that or it`s just lazy? thank
Old 7/29/05, 06:25 PM
Bullitt Member

To me, a SPORTS CAR screams to be Manual Transmission. It's so much more fun.

I love every minute of my 5 speed.

But if your always in stop & go traffic, city driving, I could see where an auto would be easier.
Old 7/29/05, 06:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by mlcrisis@July 29, 2005, 6:28 PM
To me, a SPORTS CAR screams to be Manual Transmission. It's so much more fun.

I love every minute of my 5 speed.

But if your always in stop & go traffic, city driving, I could see where an auto would be easier.
I say manual as well. I just think it is a whole lot of fun winding through the gears. Performance-wise, I don't think there is really much of a difference anymore, but the control and sheer fun factors to me throw the manual over the top.
Old 7/29/05, 06:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@July 29, 2005, 6:31 PM
I say manual as well. I just think it is a whole lot of fun winding through the gears. Performance-wise, I don't think there is really much of a difference anymore, but the control and sheer fun factors to me throw the manual over the top.
I have not had a manual car or truck in 30+ years as a personal vehicle; I was a little apprehensive on my GT vert but I absolutely love it.
Old 7/29/05, 06:38 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by ISELLFORD@July 29, 2005, 6:33 PM
I have not had a manual car or truck in 30+ years as a personal vehicle; I was a little apprehensive on my GT vert but I absolutely love it.
I think this is an exceptionally easy manual to drive. The amount of torque makes it very hard to kill. You almost have to really be trying to kill it in order to do so.
Old 7/29/05, 06:39 PM
GT Member

I just ordered a manual. Can't wait to drive it, unfortunately I'm afraid I'll be waiting quite a while...
Old 7/29/05, 07:04 PM
Bullitt Member

I have to agree 100% with mlcrisis (I considered that name for my plate)
Old 7/29/05, 07:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree with getting the manual.
However, having the auto is not being lazy.
It comes down to what you want to do with the car.
I love blowing through the gears.
Stop and go traffic does't bother me in the least bit.
You can have fun, just not as much. IMHO
Old 7/29/05, 07:38 PM
GT Member

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=413201

for the unexperienced driver, an auto is quicker to shift and smoother

an auto however has a torgue converter, which reduces efficiency, resulting in lower gas mileage and slower acceleration.

Theres a reason why race cars use manuals instead of autos, as well as why calssic car buffs prefer a stick.

I did some reading, and came up with the following:

manual:
Advantages

Manual transmissions are typically more efficient than automatic transmissions. This is because manuals generally involve a clutch instead of a torque converter, which can cause significant power losses. This results in both better acceleration and fuel economy. (about 5-7% loss in HP for an auto)
It is generally easier to build very strong manual transmissions than automatic transmissions. Manual transmissions usually have only one clutch, whereas automatics have many clutch packs.
Manual transmissions normally do not require active cooling, because not much power is dissipated as heat through the transmission.
A driver has more direct control over the state of the transmission with a manual than an automatic.
Manual transmissions are typically cheaper to build than automatic transmissions.
Manual transmissions generally require less maintenance than automatic transmissions.
In addition, many people feel that driving a manual forces the driver to pay more attention to the road and to other cars, making it more difficult to become distracted.

Disadvantages

Manual transmissions require more driver interaction than automatic transmissions.
A driver may inadvertently shift into the wrong gear with a manual transmission, potentially causing damage to the engine and transmission as well as compromising safety.
Manual transmissions are more difficult to learn to drive as one needs to develop a feel for properly engaging the clutch.
The smooth and quick shifts of an automatic transmission are not guaranteed when operating a manual transmission.
Manual transmissions require more controls than automatic transmissions. This is an issue in cramped cockpits, cars where a floor-shifter is inconvenient, or in vehicles equipped for disabled drivers.
Manual transmissions make it especially challenging to start when stopped upward on a hill, especially for newer drivers.
Old 7/29/05, 07:52 PM
Cobra Member

It really comes down to individual preference as there no significant performance difference between the two. I will agree that the manual is more fun to drive but after 37 years of driving a stick I opted for an auto in my Mustang due to lots of stop and go driving in Southern California which is where I lived then. I made the right choice for me at the time and will probably buy another auto. I'd like to see a Tiptronic (slap shift) auto in the Mustang in the future. Who knows?
Old 7/29/05, 08:30 PM

I've had my share of both and I'm coming off a 3 1/2 year relationship with an auto and can't wait to get my 06 GT manual - theres just something about rowing through the gears - its addictive. And about the tiptronic, thats what I had on my auto I spoke of above...its OK but no where near a manual. The only thing I'd consider is the SMG transmission of the BMW M3, which I've had the pleasure to thrash upon and tach out at near 8000 rpm!! Its quite a thrill, but still nothing beats the feel of revving it up with the clutch pushed in in first gear with no one ahead of you and painting 2 black rubber stripes on the pavement....
Old 7/29/05, 08:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had to have a manual. I've been driving slush boxes forever, and it just didn't seem right to get a performance car with an auto. The manual is great fun, and I love having the control.

Who was it that said driving an auto just seems odd because they're not contributing anything? You just sit there, pushing one pedal at a time.

But, I still have an a car with an auto. I don't think I would want the stick in the stang if I didn't have the other car. Sometimes I just don't feel like messing with shifting. I also need the other car so I can carry more than 2 adults and anything bigger than a shoe box in the trunk.
Old 7/29/05, 09:16 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My feeling is that w/ a manual you're driving the car, and with an auto, you're just riding in it. So, get whatever you want to do.
Old 7/29/05, 09:37 PM
Bullitt Member

If you think driving an Automatic GT is not fun, check your pulse....

Most people who do not like the new auto have not driven one. I guess as I get older, I like my toys a little more refined.

The Auto wins most races in the 1/8 mile, but loses in the 1/4 mile due to the higher gearing in the auto in 4th & 5th gear. ( Also why the auto is rate at one more mpg than the stick on HWY milage )

A few hours in Atlanta traffic will convience all but the most macho gear head to switch to the auto. ( avg speed home from work 20mph )

I would also like to clear one thing up, the Mustang is not really a sports car, it is a pony car and you could streatch it to say that it is a muscle car. A sports car IMHO is more like a Porsche, Miata, BMW Z3/Z4, Honda 2000 etc... In other words alight weight cars made to carve up the curves...

However, if you like moding the car, get a stick, the programming for the auto makes high hp mods more difficult in the auto...

One the other hand, it takes a very skilled driver to beat this auto. One local boy was bragging that his 350z had beaten several GT stangs at the local 1/8 mile track which he did. I took him by three car length in my stock GT auto....

He was fit to be tied....
Old 7/29/05, 10:16 PM
Cobra Member

I love a good manual. But this new 5-speed Auto in the wife's GT is great. I take no sides, drive what works for you and enjoy.
Old 7/30/05, 03:50 AM
Bullitt Member

My car an auto and no regrets! I've had 3/4/5 speed sticks in my life and alot of rubber on the road. This is the best stock auto I've owned.
Driving my Iroc Z28 stick in traffic all those years, just killed my knee! Now I just lay back and cruzzzzz!
Nothing wrong with both.
Happy Trails!!!
B)
Old 7/30/05, 04:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

I love the "remote start" feature in my F150, especially in the winter so I can warm the truck up before I get in. A dealer won't install remote start in a manual transmission car for liability reasons.

That said, I went for the manual transmission. The mustang will not be my daily driver; I bought it for fun. The $1k saved by getting the manual transmission can go into other add-ons.

I used to drive a manual to the Navy base, and that constant stop-and-go traffic for a mile waiting to get through the gate gets a bit old. However, I'm told that the hydraulic-assist clutch on the 'stang makes only light pressure required to disengage the clutch.

As for remote start, I wish I could have had it, but since I can't, I cleaned out my garage! I don't want a convertible parked outside anyway, and I finally had a reason to clean up the garage that even I couldn't procrastinate about anymore!
Old 7/30/05, 06:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

For me manuals and convertibles are both fun for 15 minutes, then they become tiresome.
Old 7/30/05, 06:55 AM
Cobra Member

I enjoy my manual alot, as a few have said before me it feels like you are in control of the car. There sure are times though when traffic is a BI#%$ that I would love an auto. It's completely up to you, either way you can't go wrong!!!
Old 7/30/05, 07:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

I've had plenty of both, and I have no problem with the auto in my GT. It shifts great and the car is plenty fun to drive. I do have to do a bit of stop and go driving, however, and I think if I were mainly going to drive on open roads, I would have gone with the manual. You oughta be happy either way - the Mustang is almost more fun than should legally be allowed!

Quick Reply: Auto or manual