2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Auto Armor?

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/05, 07:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm inclined to think it's not worth it, but wanted some feedback before I make a final decision. I met with the dealer yesterday and got some info, and I'll be placing my order tomorrow (they say it's my birthday . . . I'm gonna have a good time . . .).
Rust Protection 289.95
Paint Protection 249.95
Interior Protection 164.95
Sound Shield Protection 184.95
Package price of all the above is 649.99

I was told that this increases the resale value, and that the package is transferrable upon resale. I'll never have to wax my car. It's good for 10 years.

I'm thinking I can do things on my own to protect the car, and I simply don't want the sound shield gunk, but I'm not sure what to do about these things. I think a high quality wax (Zaino?) will protect the paint and deter rusting. How about interior leather care?

My car: Legend Lime GT Premium w/IUP, anti-theft, spoiler delete, side airbags, wheel upgrade, wheel locking kit and driver's seat heater installed at the dealer.
Old 1/11/05, 07:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Great Questions, my knee jerk reaction is RUN AWAY! I'm looking forward to our experts view.
Old 1/11/05, 07:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Rust protection for the underbody might be a good choice if you plan on driving in the snow and salty roads.

Other than that, I would just go with a product like Zaino for the pain protection.

Those dealer offerings have huge mark ups and don't always protect that good.
Old 1/11/05, 07:34 AM
FR500 Member

Walk Away.... None of the stuff they're going to do is more than you can do by yourself for much less money.

It's a "profit center" for the dealership!

It surprise's me they're even talking about this now, this is usually reserved for the business office when you take delivery.
Old 1/11/05, 07:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Rust protection is for the undercarriage.
Paint Protection. Is it a finish, or do they mean Paint Insurance in case something happens?
Same for the Interior Protection.
Sound Shield sounds like a bunch of BS.
We have Paint Protection (Insurance). If our auto insurance won't cover it, this will.
We also have Interior Protection (Insurance). This covers damage to the seats, carpet, etc. If this is what you are talking about it may be a good idea. They should add the cost into your financing.
Old 1/11/05, 07:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by hispony@January 11, 2005, 8:42 AM
Paint Protection. Is it a finish, or do they mean Paint Insurance in case something happens?
We have Paint Protection (Insurance). If our auto insurance won't cover it, this will.
We also have Interior Protection (Insurance). This covers damage to the seats, carpet, etc. If this is what you are talking about it may be a good idea. They should add the cost into your financing.
The Paint Protection is a coating applied over the paint. The dealer had me run my fingers over the surface of a car with it and one without it in the showroom. I could definitely feel and see that the car with Paint Protection was smoother and shinier, but I'm thinking a good quality wax will do the same thing. However, they do say that I'll never have to wax my car with this Paint Protection which might be kind of nice.
Old 1/11/05, 08:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by stargirl66+January 11, 2005, 8:53 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (stargirl66 @ January 11, 2005, 8:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-hispony@January 11, 2005, 8:42 AM
The Paint Protection is a coating applied over the paint. The dealer had me run my fingers over the surface of a car with it and one without it in the showroom. I could definitely feel and see that the car with Paint Protection was smoother and shinier, but I'm thinking a good quality wax will do the same thing. However, they do say that I'll never have to wax my car with this Paint Protection which might be kind of nice. [/b][/quote]
NO!!!! Do not do it all. It's a Ripoff I repeat a Ripoff. Way too much money for a WAX JOB!!!!! Any after market wax will do the same job. I thought that it was a good idea when I got my car and the way I understood it was a clear coat. It's Not Its Just Wax. :bang: Go have it detailed with a 3 or 4 part wax and you will have a better product. Do not get the under coating Its crap also. :notnice: Or even better give your car some LOVE and spend the time doing it yourself. No one will take better care of your car then you.

And What the heck is Sound Shield??
When I got my new head unit they said I could sound guard it. witch means they stuff all spaces with some kind of padding. The price was around 1500 to 2000. and would take 2 weeks to complete.
Old 1/11/05, 08:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by sync007+January 11, 2005, 9:13 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sync007 @ January 11, 2005, 9:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by stargirl66@January 11, 2005, 8:53 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-hispony
@January 11, 2005, 8:42 AM

The Paint Protection is a coating applied over the paint. The dealer had me run my fingers over the surface of a car with it and one without it in the showroom. I could definitely feel and see that the car with Paint Protection was smoother and shinier, but I'm thinking a good quality wax will do the same thing. However, they do say that I'll never have to wax my car with this Paint Protection which might be kind of nice.
NO!!!! Do not do it all. It's a Ripoff I repeat a Ripoff. Way too much money for a WAX JOB!!!!! Any after market wax will do the same job. I thought that it was a good idea when I got my car and the way I understood it was a clear coat. It's Not Its Just Wax. Go have it detailed with a 3 or 4 part wax and you will have a better product. Do not get the under coating Its crap also. :notnice: Or even better give your car some LOVE and spend the time doing it yourself. No one will take better care of your car then you. [/b][/quote]
Yeah, I was thinking that doing the wax myself would be the best. Just wasn't sure if the product they're trying to sell is something different.

Rust protection underneath the car might be a good idea since I live in the frozen tundra of Wisconsin where the roads are very salty. I could probably get this done better and cheaper elsewhere.
Old 1/11/05, 08:30 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't do it. I agree that if you drive in the snow and deal with salt then get the undercoating by someone else.
Old 1/11/05, 08:35 AM
Cobra Member

Don't do it!!!! They don't back up anything. I had it on one of my other cars and when we had problems they gave us problems. Undercoating might be a good thing, but wash, wax, clean and condition everything else yourself. Save yourself lots of money.
Old 1/11/05, 08:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cannot believe they still try to pawn this crap off on people. If you really want a good "underbody rust protector" take your car down to the local Line-X facility and have them coat the bottom of your floor pan, etc.

Line-X is not going anywhere doing duty under the body of a street-driven car, and it will provide unbeatable rust protection as well as sound insulation. It also wouldn't cost anymore than what the dealer is asking for you to shell out for a rattle-can rubber undercoating spray job.

Any dealer that pulls ridiculous stuff like the above is immediately moved onto my "credibility suspect" list.
Old 1/11/05, 09:38 AM
GT Member

I must disagree, but not entirely. 1st: the paint protectant is a coating that is glossy and smooth and WILL provide better protection for the paint, because it is like a clear, full-body bra. However, YOU ARE COMMITTED to this protectant for the life of the car. When it starts to fail, it will peel like a glazed donut and look hoorible. Very intensive to re-do when this happens, but it takes a LONG time for it to do this when applied properly. The rest of the package is overpriced nonsense...get some Teflon and spray your carpets, keep your leather cleaned and conditioned regularly, and clean the undercarriage diligently in foul conditions and you'll be fine. $600+ will get you (2) Full Detail jobs per year for three years...money BETTER spent than the paint protector IMO. I just wanted to clarify that the paint protectant is a good product, not just some wax-job!! It would be a wonderful option for someone who expects to own the vehicle for 3-5 years and doesn't want to take care of it cosmetically: Drive it off the lot...4 years later, get it detailed....violla!...nice clean car with no stains and perfect paint!!

analogy: paint protectant=prefinished Hardwood floor--------without it=wax on/wax off Daniel-son!
Old 1/11/05, 09:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by jsaylor@January 11, 2005, 9:41 AM
I cannot believe they still try to pawn this crap off on people. If you really want a good "underbody rust protector" take your car down to the local Line-X facility and have them coat the bottom of your floor pan, etc.

Line-X is not going anywhere doing duty under the body of a street-driven car, and it will provide unbeatable rust protection as well as sound insulation. It also wouldn't cost anymore than what the dealer is asking for you to shell out for a rattle-can rubber undercoating spray job.

Any dealer that pulls ridiculous stuff like the above is immediately moved onto my "credibility suspect" list.
I've never heard of Line-X. What is it? Are there other similar products/services known if Line-X is unavailable?

I'm not interested in the sound barrier factor cuz I want to hear my V8! I'm guessing I'll still hear the engine ok through the firewall if I get undercoating.
Old 1/11/05, 09:50 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Originally posted by stargirl66@January 11, 2005, 9:11 AM
Rust Protection 289.95
Paint Protection 249.95
Interior Protection 164.95
Sound Shield Protection 184.95
Package price of all the above is 649.99
You can save a ton of money by avoiding these things through the dealer.

1. Rust protection, you can find a better deal by shopping around, look at the warranty (usually 10 years) and how much/how often you have to return to get it re-applied (usually every other year)

2. Paint protection - don't bother, just wax it yourself. Something like zaino will get better results, even though it does involve some work on your part.

3. Interior protection - again a waste in my book, unless you eat breakfast/lunch/dinner in your car. Even so, it won't prevent stains. A can of interior shampoo can fix any problem.

4. Sound sheild - now this is a crock. Usually undercoating itself acts like a sound deadening. This is just to take away any road noise, BS IMO.

As you can see I think the rust protection is the only thing you should get, but you will probably find a better deal somewhere else.
Old 1/11/05, 09:51 AM
Cobra Member

What ever driving someone does I say no thanks to there protection plans. Your vehicle has all the lastest protection from the factory. Tell the dealer that your trade in has their type of plan and see how much more they give you. LOL. A fresh waxed surface always feels smoother and waxed then a non. There is no way it will feel that way only months from now, you will still have to maintain it regularly. Even if you do drive in salt, vehicles with undercoatings rust and corrode just as fast, if not faster because of trapped moisture.
Old 1/11/05, 10:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

This stuff is all crap. Even the undercoating discussion is designed to scare you into parting with your hard earned money. These cars are not the first generation cars of the 60s that actually needed the additional protection (knee deep in cutting and welding on my 66 right now). Modern cars are dipped and E-coated to fight rust. Yes, I'm sure they still rust. But I'm trying to remember a single late model Mustang that I have seen with real rust issues and I can't remember any.

They will throw a lot of buzz words at you about these products but you can do better yourself. Notice no one here has said, "great deal, go for it"!
Old 1/11/05, 10:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

I got all that stuff, and I wish I wouldn't have. I was told the paint protection was like another clearcoat ontop of the existing. Stupid lady had no idea it was just a cleaner/wax in a bottle...
The interior protection was again, just some leather treating substance in a black and white bottle. The only guarantee is if something went bad during the warranty it would be fixed.

Rust protection would probably be the best thing to get.
Old 1/11/05, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

It is good for your car to have it done, but if you will do it on your own I wouldn't spend my money on it. My brother does it and stripes the cars for the dealers. He charges them 75 or so for the protection packages and they charge 500+. But alot of dealers will use it as a bargaining tool to close the deal.
Old 1/11/05, 10:19 AM
cti
V6 Member

Originally posted by stargirl66+January 11, 2005, 10:42 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (stargirl66 @ January 11, 2005, 10:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jsaylor@January 11, 2005, 9:41 AM

I've never heard of Line-X. What is it? Are there other similar products/services known if Line-X is unavailable?

I'm not interested in the sound barrier factor cuz I want to hear my V8! I'm guessing I'll still hear the engine ok through the firewall if I get undercoating. [/b][/quote]
Line-X is a spray on bed linner for trucks. Another one is Rino Linnings. One of those I can't remember which is very heavy. If you put in your bed the tailgate gets about tripled in weight.
Old 1/11/05, 06:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by cti+January 11, 2005, 5:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cti @ January 11, 2005, 5:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by stargirl66@January 11, 2005, 10:42 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-jsaylor
@January 11, 2005, 9:41 AM

I'm not interested in the sound barrier factor cuz I want to hear my V8! I'm guessing I'll still hear the engine ok through the firewall if I get undercoating.
Line-X is a spray on bed linner for trucks. Another one is Rino Linnings. One of those I can't remember which is very heavy. If you put in your bed the tailgate gets about tripled in weight. [/b][/quote]
The above is correct, except for the weight remark. Both of these will as weight to your vehicle, but they can apply them thinner depending on your needs. Even a very think coat of Line-X would never go away under your pony. As long as you don't get the firewall coated it should not make any difference in engine noise. And, Line-X is the best lining product by far, much btter than Rhino-Liner or Amorthane. The US military coats shelters in Line-X because it stops bombs from causing as much shrapnel damage, and the navy is considering using this as the new "paint" for submarines!

Quick Reply: Auto Armor?