2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone try the RJM Performance clutch MC instead of the '13 GT500?

Search this Thread

Old 6/26/18, 07:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Anyone try the RJM Performance clutch MC instead of the '13 GT500?

Quick background -- back in February I upgraded to a 6 spd (T56 Magnum XL), and it's been awesome. But while I always had problems with 2nd gear fighting me from time to time (just figured that's how the transmission was), lately it's started grinding unless I'm driving like a granny (like shifting below 2000 RPM) or being ultra-precise with my shifts. Downshifting into 2nd is very touch and go so I don't even try.

I got in touch with Tremec and they said it's gotta be the clutch. The grinding would only happen if the synchros were toast or the input shaft was still being torqued. It's only got 1600 miles on it, so leaning towards the clutch. It's a new McCleod Street Pro, with a new slave cylinder, but the master is original.

I mentioned the '13 GT500 master cylinder upgrade I've read about here to my speed shop, asking if the extra throw would help make sure the clutch was fully disengaging. And they said check out this one instead:

RJM Performance Stage 2:
http://www.rjmperformance.com/05-14-...g-gtgt500.html

--edit --- pic

It's the same idea behind putting the '13 GT500 in the GT, but this one's adjustable. The guy has a good thread over on SVTPerformance

https://www.svtperformance.com/forum...inder.1130794/

Anyone use it? or at least heard of it? It's a lot more expensive than the '13 MC, but still a lot cheaper than killing my synchros. And Tremec won't cover it under warranty if it's a clutch problem.

Last edited by Cavero; 6/26/18 at 07:24 PM.
Old 6/28/18, 03:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Nobody? Not even heard of them?
Old 7/4/18, 05:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<crickets>...

I think the '13 GT500 master cylinder upgrade was talked about on another forum, so in case people were reading this and had no idea what I was talking about -- the 2013 GT500's master cylinder has a larger bore and stroke than the GT's. So swapping it in pushes more fluid, pushing the slave/throw out bearing further and giving you more disengagement of the clutch.

I contacted them through their website, here's what they have to say about it:

- No one's heard of it because it's only been available for the last couple weeks
- He said it it's any consolation, Fathouse Fabrication was using one of his first units on their Coyote that ran 8's! Pretty good bragging rights

- The Stage 2 is the same bore & stroke as the GT500 master cylinder, stage 3 is 15% larger.
- The difference between this one and the Shelby MC is mostly plastic and non-adjustable, whereas his are all metal, have Tilton internals, and the rod end is adjustable so you can tune it in to exactly where you want the pedal's engagement point to be.

Decisions.... I can spend $80 (Shelby) to see if the bigger master cylinder is going to fix my problem, even though it's not adjustable so it could really throw off my engagement point, and I could have it by next week...or I can spend over triple that amount for the MC from hell that I could dial in exactly the way I want it,I'd have to wait till the end of the month to get it though since he builds them all to order.