2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Anybody drive with kids in the back?

Search this Thread

Old 7/28/05, 01:06 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone else here drives an 05 Mustang with their kid(s) in the back. And if so, do you have pics? Car seat recommendations? Is it a total headache?

I have an 06 GT on order and I have a 3 year old who sits in a booster seat. The plan is to give my Yukon to my wife and trade in her Jetta for the Mustang. We will have the Yukon for vacations, long hauls etc.

The Mustang will be my daily driver, rain, snow or shine. I will be driving my son to day care (or school pretty soon ) every morning and I need to know that I can fit him in the back comfortably. I'll need to be able to make weekend trips with my 5'7 wife and him in the back as well.

Is this possible? Am I just kidding myself, or are there other dads out there like me? Somehow my wife is agreeable to the GT (god bless her), but she won't be happy if we never get to ride in it as a family.

Please excuse the duplication, I know this topic has been covered before:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...l=carseat&st=20

Just trying to get more info...
Old 7/28/05, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

No problem. If your wife sits in the passenger seat, she can move it up some so the car seat will be behind her. If you child needs to stretch their legs, they will have to go to the side a little bit (right behind your right elbow if its on the center consol. Go for it! Worst case scenerio (and I have scene this on this forum or another one I visit) your child can sit in the back passenger seat and mom can sit in the trunk
Old 7/28/05, 01:19 PM
GT Member

My five year old rides comfortably behind the passenger seat while it's in the normal position (with my 9 month pregnant wife in it). I've had a variety of car seats in there as well. I put down some cloth beneath the car seat so it didn't leave an imprint into the leather.
Old 7/28/05, 01:34 PM
Bullitt Member

My wife and I have the car seat behind the driver's seat in her '05 GT vert. Until our 2yr old son's legs are a tad bit longer, he sits indian style so as to not scuff the back of the seat with his shoes. He just loves the wind in his hair!

The only issue with up-to-date car seats in the vert is that the rear tether anchor is on the same centerline as the tie down for the top cover, which precludes the cover being used.

EK
Old 7/28/05, 01:42 PM
Cobra R Member

I commute daily with my 2yo son in the back. As far as room, there is plenty. That's one of the reasons I bought a Mustang instead of, say a Z or Vette. However, being a 2 door, you do have to contort a little bit to get your kid in and out of there.
Old 7/28/05, 02:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Just wait til they can fit in the drivers seat!
Old 7/28/05, 02:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah agree with other comments. My 4 yearold daughter can fit really well in the back. the tough part is when using a booster is that the contour of the back seats is pretty deep, meaning that the booster seat kind of leans to one side. we fixed that by just putting a folded towel under the booster seat to level it out. a pic of our booster for you to see, sorry for the goofy pic had to resize it, not the best doing that stuff.[SIZE=1]

Sam
Old 7/28/05, 02:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks all for the great info, this really helps me as well. Wife has the mini-van, but will want to drive the 06 somedays. Good to know kids can fit in the back......
Old 7/28/05, 02:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by sams66@July 28, 2005, 3:21 PM
Yeah agree with other comments. My 4 yearold daughter can fit really well in the back. the tough part is when using a booster is that the contour of the back seats is pretty deep, meaning that the booster seat kind of leans to one side. we fixed that by just putting a folded towel under the booster seat to level it out. a pic of our booster for you to see, sorry for the goofy pic had to resize it, not the best doing that stuff.[SIZE=1]

Sam

Lol, same exact booster seat my kid uses.
Old 7/28/05, 02:36 PM
GT Member

Great. Thanks for all the info guys...
Old 7/28/05, 02:46 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I have a 12 and ten year old.
They fold up quite nicely.
Old 7/28/05, 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Well I have 3 kids. so no wife unless we are on a romantic getaway(even if it is just a short trip).
Old 7/28/05, 03:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Graco seat for our 2 year old. My wife is 5'10" and we scoot the passenger seat up to the point where there's 1-2" clearance between the kid's toes and the seatback. My wife is comfortable, but not comfortable.

If its just me and the kiddo, though. NP.

Oh...and the LATCH system makes installing the seat a "snap". The hardest part is just "rolling" the seat around the car/passenger seat. The next hardest is unlatching the LATCH system.
Old 7/28/05, 03:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a 7 and a 3 yr old. The 7 yr old fits fine behind the passenger side with it scooted up a bit and the 3 yr sits right behind me since I have to have the seat pretty far back. I keep a black towel in the back seat so that when he is riding behind me I can wedge it under the headrest and drape it like a cape for the seat to protect the back of my seat from his shoes. Other than the weird bending to get him into the back it's not too bad.
Old 7/28/05, 08:31 PM
V6 Member

This is too funny! I thought I was the only one that drove around with two kids in the back.

They absolutely love "the Mustang" and get a big kick out of it! My 2 1/2 year old son already says "my mustang"!! :drive:
Old 7/28/05, 08:47 PM
GT Member

This is great...I've got the vert and I put my 5yo and 3yo both in booster and car seat respectively in the back and go tooling around town with em... They love it. Well, my little girl (the 3 yo) doesn't like it when her hair get's messed up.. (She's her mother's child!!! )

Yep, I know...I'm in trouble with my little girl! :bang:

The latch system is a snap. I put a large terrycloth towel under the car seats also.
Old 7/28/05, 11:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 5yr old and a 2yr old and they ride in the back just fine. I put seat protectors under the car seats and mesh seatback organizers on the front seats to protect them from scuffs. I managed to get the kids in/out with a back injury so it's no big deal getting them in or out. I don't have a pic but there is plenty of room. They also like it when I accidentally give it too much gas!
Old 7/28/05, 11:51 PM
Bullitt Member

This is something I was about to post about. With the child seat do you guys recommend leather (may be damaged) or cloth if I have a car seat? I love the red leather but dont want it to get tore up.
Old 7/28/05, 11:52 PM
Cobra R Member

hey,

this gives me an idea for a new post...

pics of your kids and their Mustang!
Old 7/29/05, 08:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

My 3-year old daughter not only fits but absolutely loves to go for rides. As soon as I pull out of the driveway she starts the "Go faster daddy, go faster." I've found that if I put the car seat behind the passenger seat, it's easier for me to sit in the drivers seat, lean the pass seat forward, grab my daughter on the drivers side and toss her in the back(not literally). Haven't taken my 2-month old for a ride yet; maybe in a month or so when his neck muscles are a little stronger. No regrets on purchasing the car with 2 kids.

Quick Reply: Anybody drive with kids in the back?