2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Any ideas on this?

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/09, 12:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any ideas on this?

Well I was driving tuesday night, I had just filled up on gas, and about 5 mins down the road I felt what seemed like a miss, then the car started running crappy, stuttering and what not. so I pulled of the road shut it down and started it back up, but when I would blip the throttle it wanted to die and the fuel pressure would shoot way up. So I reloaded my tune and then it started up fine, drove the rest of the night no problems.

Next morning I leave for work start the car and started for about 10 secs then sputtered and died. Then that's all it would do crank, sputter and die tried maybe 6 times, reloaded tune nothing changed. I then started giving it a little gas I could get it to run if I kept the RPMS up but tons of white smoke was coming out the exhaust, then some black smoke, I'm guessing it got flooded somehow. Then all the smoke cleared up and it would Idle ok, but again blip the throttle and it would want to sputter and die. Check the MAF, checked vacuum lines, checked the throttle body, everything look ok.

Started it up again and started but was missing some, then I took the vacuum line off the bypass valve on the SC and put it back on while it was running, then things started to clear up, but had to go to work. Then got back home, checked oil, it was a tad low so filled it up and started up and ran much better, still a little missing here and there, but now I'm guessing the plugs got fouled. Took it for a drive datalogged it and it drove fine *shrug*, sent the log off to brenspeed and parked it for the night. Then this morning I start it up, no misses, no shudders, nothing, ran perfect all the way to work. Now I just came back from lunch and when I started it there were a couple misses and then ran fine. I have no *#$#n' clue! I've been staying out of boost for obvious reasons, but I'm really at a loss here. Haven't heard back from brenspeed, there all in Kentucky for a race.

I'm guessing the misses I have now are bad plugs from all that happened, but it seemed like it was dumping in tons of fuel, you could smell the fumes when all the smoke was coming out.

Now I think I might have left the cap loose some when I got gas, but I can't imagine that would cause all that. Just really strange...

Last edited by Starfire; 10/1/09 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10/1/09, 12:45 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe u got a little water in your gas
Old 10/1/09, 12:58 PM
Bullitt Member

That was my only other thought some bad gas or some little particle broke loose or something.
Old 10/1/09, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Symptoms point to bad gas, and appeared within minutes of filling the tank.

I'd try and get the gasoline in the tank out and replace with some new stuff. Run some injector cleaner through the system, and you may want to change the plugs.

That should take care of the issues.
Old 10/2/09, 08:24 AM
Bullitt Member

The other thing is it never thew a code, with all that missing that was going on I'd figure it would throw a code of some sort.