2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Anti lock brakes & traction control

Search this Thread

Old 4/16/05, 06:30 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondering how many people opted for the anti lock brakes/traction control and why? I bought my car off the lot and was it not on the car but I couldn't see spending $799 for it anyways. I know it can save a you a few bucks on insurance with some company's.
Old 4/16/05, 07:13 PM
V6 Member

These are standard equipment on the GT, so I assume you are talking about the V-6...either way up here in Cleveland they are worth every penny. Winter 04-05 was the snowiest on record and I wouldn't want to be without either one!
Old 4/16/05, 07:15 PM
GT Member

Hi,

Sorry, I assumed it was an option of both cars. My bad.
Old 4/16/05, 09:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

if you drive in the white, you want them.
Old 4/16/05, 09:42 PM
Bullitt Member

It saved me a couple of times, at least I felt as if it did. I learned to drive a stick on my car, which happens to be a GT. Rain and 300hp don't mix. With the option to turn it off, I recomend it.
Old 4/16/05, 10:14 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Got it. That TC system is amazing. I tried to get sideways in a fresh black-topped parking lot while it was raining and could not. I was impressed. Antilock brakes alone are worth it. Look at it this way, your first accident you'll be forking out $500 or so on your deductible. Might as well spend the 800 and avoid the whole situation.
Old 4/17/05, 12:37 AM
V6 Member

I can't imagine buying a car without ABS. It's the simplest, easiest brake upgrade that will vastly increase your stopping distance over a model without it.
Old 4/17/05, 05:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Very true :shake:

Matt
Old 4/17/05, 06:38 AM
Bullitt Member

There's, on general principle, absolutely no reason in the year 2005 to get a new car and *not* have ABS and TC on it.

Even if you manage to keep her without dinging her up too much, it will also give you a better resell value a few years down the road.
Old 4/17/05, 06:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by pwt13@April 16, 2005, 7:16 PM
These are standard equipment on the GT, so I assume you are talking about the V-6...either way up here in Cleveland they are worth every penny. Winter 04-05 was the snowiest on record and I wouldn't want to be without either one!
Yes up here in Cleveland/Akron ohio it is worth it and anywhere it snows. What is cool about the traction control is you can turn it off in the summer months.
Old 4/17/05, 08:07 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think ABS saves more lives than airbags, IMO. You can't get statistics on it since it actually avoids an accident...
Old 4/17/05, 08:09 AM
GT Member

Well, I am in S. FL and will never see snow here. I guess if I lived where it snows it would be different. I am not sorry I did not get it but I was curious to see how many people felt it was a must have.
Old 4/17/05, 08:49 AM
Cobra Member

I have felt my ABS kick in when it's raining, definitely helps in a panic stop. Every car I've owned has had ABS, so I've gotten adjusted to having it. I don't get mine to activate all that often, but when it does it really comes in handy. I do have an insurance discount for it too.
Old 4/17/05, 08:57 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ABS Brakes allows you to steer the vehicle when you apply the brakes in an emergency situation. With standard brakes in an emergency situation the wheels with lock up and not allow the vehicle to turn.

In order to turn the wheels with standard brakes it is necessary to pump the brake pedal. Yes ABS and traction control are worth it.
Old 4/17/05, 05:01 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@April 16, 2005, 10:17 PM
Got it. That TC system is amazing. I tried to get sideways in a fresh black-topped parking lot while it was raining and could not. I was impressed. Antilock brakes alone are worth it. Look at it this way, your first accident you'll be forking out $500 or so on your deductible. Might as well spend the 800 and avoid the whole situation.
Must be something wrong with mine. With the TC on, I can take a turn on nice blacktop and get more than a full "S" skid mark before I have to let off to get it to straighten back out.
The TC on my '05 seems non-existant compared to the '03. It's like driving a Fox 5.0 Coupe all over again.
Old 4/17/05, 05:42 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by StangNut+April 17, 2005, 6:04 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StangNut @ April 17, 2005, 6:04 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-05GT-O.C.D.@April 16, 2005, 10:17 PM
Must be something wrong with mine. With the TC on, I can take a turn on nice blacktop and get more than a full "S" skid mark before I have to let off to get it to straighten back out.
The TC on my '05 seems non-existant compared to the '03. It's like driving a Fox 5.0 Coupe all over again.
[/b][/quote]

From your other post, I'd get your brakes checked, you might have a problem. I went into a slide with the wheel slightly turned and slipped the clutch... the back end swung about 2-3 feet and jerked itself straight, as it was coming back I turned the wheel the other direction and gassed it... same thing, kicked out and jerked itself back straight. (ooh, my poor axles) Turned the TC off and did the same thing and ended up doing a nice little 180.
Old 4/17/05, 05:50 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by sharkstang@April 17, 2005, 10:12 AM
Well, I am in S. FL and will never see snow here. I guess if I lived where it snows it would be different. I am not sorry I did not get it but I was curious to see how many people felt it was a must have.

Man, with the kind of rain we get down here (I live in Ft. Lauderdale) how could you not get ABS? No offense but I hope you are never driving behind me in one of our daily summer rainstorms.
Old 4/17/05, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by sharkstang@April 17, 2005, 10:12 AM
I hope you won't be sorry you didn't get ABS and TC...
Personally, I would rather walk than buy a car without ABS. TC...well it depends on your driving style...if you are a bit aggressive, then you should indeed have this too.
PS: I had cars without ABS (when ABS didn't exist... ...) and let me tell you...there is a HUGE difference in favor of cars with ABS...trust me...
Old 4/17/05, 06:39 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.+April 17, 2005, 5:45 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05GT-O.C.D. @ April 17, 2005, 5:45 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by StangNut@April 17, 2005, 6:04 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-05GT-O.C.D.
@April 16, 2005, 10:17 PM

From your other post, I'd get your brakes checked, you might have a problem. I went into a slide with the wheel slightly turned and slipped the clutch... the back end swung about 2-3 feet and jerked itself straight, as it was coming back I turned the wheel the other direction and gassed it... same thing, kicked out and jerked itself back straight. (ooh, my poor axles) Turned the TC off and did the same thing and ended up doing a nice little 180.
[/b][/quote]
hmmm. Never thought of that. Thanks.
I'll put it this way, I could probably do a 180 with my TC on!
Old 4/17/05, 07:28 PM
GT Member

[/quote]

When you did this did your message center display the TC active? I've only seen mine activate once (gravel road and lots of rain). I've accidently taken a turn too fast and the back end has swung out but I don't remember if the TC activated or not. Would taking my foot off the gas have stopped it from kicking in?

Quick Reply: Anti lock brakes & traction control