2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Another traction control thread '09v6

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/16, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another traction control thread '09v6

2009 v6 auto. I have, since first purchasing back in '09, always turned off TC every time I turn the car on. Except in severe weather, which we really don't get much of in Texas... Anyways, I finally put on a JLT CAI and got a Bama 93 race tune and have been having a TON of fun with that, my issue is most likely with the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) if it's even equipped on the '09.. TC off button works for most of what I've done in the past, but whenever I'm mid turn and mash on the accelerator it doesn't react, like I didn't just mash the gas and am barely gassing it until the turn is complete and then it lets me go WoT after I straighten out. This is with TC off. So I'm assuming it has ESC and won't let me mash on the gas when the steering wheel is turned past a certain point.

I've tried holding the brake down and holding the TC button down for 5-15 seconds and never get any messages in my information center, no "swervy" lights in the dash, it just illuminates the "TC OFF" button like it normally does when I press it off.

My manual doesn't mention anything about turning the ESC off, it just says press TC OFF to turn the TC off. Nothing about the brake sequence mentioned in the '10-14 manual posted in https://themustangsource.com/forums/...quence-485614/

Just wondering if anyone with a 2009 v6 knows anything about this? I could pull the fuse, but I do NOT want to disable ABS, just TC/ESC.

Also, if I disable TC through the SCT x4 tuner, will that disable ESC as well?

It's one of the worst feelings having your car stop you from driving it the way you want to, right up there with being stuck behind slow traffic

Last edited by BlackSunshine09; 7/31/16 at 09:16 AM.
Old 7/31/16, 08:44 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
There is no AdvanceTrac or other ESC on 2009 models. You only have TC, which is fully deactivated by a single press of the dash button.
The following users liked this post:
BlackSunshine09 (8/1/16)
Old 8/1/16, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
There is no AdvanceTrac or other ESC on 2009 models. You only have TC, which is fully deactivated by a single press of the dash button.
That's what I thought originally.. But it felt like the accelerator was non-responsive when I tried to gun it in the middle of a tight turn.. If it's a wide turn, I can floor it and break out sideways all I want. If it's a tight turn and I try to gun it halfway through while my steering wheel is still turned tight it doesn't let me until I've mostly straightened out.. It's weird.. It feels like a safety feature of some kind.

I guess it's also possible I wasn't really laying into it since there was traffic nearby and I'm still getting used to this Bama tune... I'll have to test some more, when no ones around to see me 180.
Old 8/1/16, 09:30 AM
Just Plain Rude!

I think what you're feeling can probably be attributed to the drive-by-wire throttle. I have a Bama tune as well, which helped with the throttle lag to some degree but did not eliminate it entirely.
BlackSunshine09 (8/1/16)
Old 8/1/16, 09:42 AM

That does make sense.. Is there any way to make the throttle more responsive? Or has Bama already taken it to the maximum it can? I guess there is a lot at play especially with the automatic, determining whether it should down-shift or not and OD being on/off
Old 8/1/16, 10:50 AM
Just Plain Rude!

I would image the tune is likely as responsive as it can be, but you can always message BAMA and ask if they can do more. Perhaps they did leave a little something on the table.

I've also heard people say that the JMS Pedal Max helps, but I don't know enough about it to say if it can work in conjunction with a tune. Though, I would imagine that it can. I've also seen where some have looked into the throttle lag at the physical level, and adjusted the pins on the pedal assembly to ensure that they make contact sooner.

I would bet that most of the lag is coming from the auto transmission though. The computer has to decide whether to speed up or downshift...Or maybe you hesitated, even just for a split second, so it didn't downshift. Then a split second later, it realizes that you're all in and downshifts. But those fractions of a second add up.
BlackSunshine09 (8/3/16)
Old 8/2/16, 03:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
First off, turning the TCS off with the button does not completely turn of the TCS. There is still some amount of traction control on. If you turn it off with the tuner it is better.

Second, try and stay away from Bama tuning. They are not that great since buying it from Doug.

The throttle lag can mostly be tuned out with an increase in throttle response. Don't get one of those pedal max things, the same thing can be accomplished by your tuner. There still may be some mechanical lag but that should only be on throttle tip in and can be resolved by shimming the pedal arm with the housing.

Maybe the CAI is too big for your needs. A bigger intake will flow with less velocity and maybe that is having an effect on how the motor responds/feels.
BlackSunshine09 (8/3/16)
Old 8/3/16, 02:09 AM

Well, I have free tunes for life from Bama so.. yeah.. This is a v6 auto we're talking about, I'm not spending money twice on tunes haha. I'll ask them if they can make the throttle response more aggressive and closer to 1:1 and disable the TC completely in a tune.

I'll probably stay clear of physical modification to the pedal, if they can tune it to be more responsive great. As far as the CAI, it's awesome! It sucks the air in so hard it whistles and after installing it I've been asked if I put a supercharger on it by some noobs that heard it when I drove by at WoT. The CAI/tune is awesome, I just want more.. I've got the itch now haha

edit:
After looking at the PedalMax.. It looks pretty decent, but $300 on top of a tune just to adjust the voltage for the pedal curve is a bit much. I'll see if they can do more with the tune, and just learn how far/long to hold the pedal. They really milk us on the electronic parts

Last edited by BlackSunshine09; 8/3/16 at 02:25 AM.
Old 8/10/16, 06:25 AM

Well, after extensive testing I have concluded that despite what everyone seems to think, the '09 model DOES have stability control that is hardwired and/or part of the ABS system and independent of the Traction Control on/off switch. Essentially it is the older brother to AdvanceTrac and you can NOT turn it off without pulling the fuse (as far as I've been able to figure out).

With the 93 octane Bama tune my pedal response is almost 1:1 in straight-aways and the only lag I experience is when the tranny is deciding which gear it wants to drop to and whether or not O/D is on or off.

Accelerating in the middle of a turn limits the throttle to roughly 20-30% depending on how tight the turn is, how far the steering wheel is turned, etc. Tested through several tight turns, where I didn't get heavy on the throttle until halfway through the turn. Would not let me add throttle past a certain point where it limits it.

Accelerating before the turn and through it doesn't seem to be effected by the stability control, however I tested this on wider turns where my steering wheel was not turned as tight. Broke loose and my rear was able to slide out.

Pulled the fuse and tested in a tight turn and throttle response was 1:1 just like in a straight-away and didn't limit the throttle. Broke loose and almost ended up sideways. Don't think it's worth it to lose ABS though. Thought I would let y'all know.