2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Am I the only one that feels this way?

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/05, 06:26 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the body styling of the 05, I like it ALOT. it still has to grow on me to love it, there is something about the front end that doesnt make me absolutly love it right now. I think its mostly the hood, it just looks fat.

Anyways, even though I like the styling, there is something about it that, just doesnt do it for me. I dont like how the mufflers are behind the axle, Ive listened to audio clips of the 05's and to me it just doesnt sound like a Mustang anymore. Also, the drive by wire really erks me. And the HC trap thing, wth, I can understand Ford wanting a clean running car, but thats just to high tech for the Mustang, same with the drive by wire.

I want a pony car that is fast and slick, not economic and luxorius and high tech.

Ive never ranted about any Mustang, ever, so I dont know if I just havnt warmed up to it yet, or what.

I would seriously have a hard time picking if it was between an 04 GT and a 05 GT. yeah that 05 has the 300hp/320trw 3v 4.6, but theres just something about it....and Im 100% sure if I want to order an 07 GT when I get back from Japan in 07.

So am I the only one that feels this way?
Old 2/11/05, 06:31 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't make any final judgement on how the exhaust sounds from audio clips, usually the quality is far from good and never does it justice. If it weren't for technology, you would need a much bigger engine in order to crank out 300hp, so technology is a good thing. I fell in love with this car the first time I saw it, can't say that for the previous generation, it took me awhile to warm up to it, never warmed up enough to it to consider even buying one.
Old 2/11/05, 06:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Have you considered Saleen, Roush, or the yet to be revealed SVT or Shelby models. Granted they are more expensive, but each one has its own unique styling taken from the GT model. I like the GT and I love the Saleen. I'm anxious to the the SVT and Shelby models. It's going to interesting to see what they come up with.

Not sure if this is helping your decision, just a thought.
Old 2/11/05, 06:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm going to have to second what holderca1 said...don't judge the exhaust note by what you hear online, it is more than sexy when you hear it in person.

Also, the 05 is without a doubt a fast and slick car. I guarantee you will not notice the drive by wire. I traded in my 2000 for my 05 and if I didn't know it was drive by wire, I would have never known.
Old 2/11/05, 06:41 AM
V6 Member

It's free country, your opinion is yours, if you don't like it, don't buy it! That's why we have so many choices in cars. Having been a mustang fan forever, this 05 is a tremendous change. Is it perfect? No. I would like to know how many long time mustang fans and OWNERS! of mustangs, don't like the 05.
Old 2/11/05, 06:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

Unfortunately the days are past where you can get a stripped down car....emission standards dictate alot and due to cost considerations, companies cannot offer the 57 varieties they once did whether is was almost any color (int/ext) or deletes like radio, backseat., etc Don't know but I think AC is almost on everything now. IMO what Ford has done is offer a great looking car with clean lines and a 300HP engine for arund $25K...not bad in this day and age
Old 2/11/05, 06:47 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by slavehand@February 11, 2005, 7:41 AM
Have you considered Saleen, Roush, or the yet to be revealed SVT or Shelby models. Granted they are more expensive, but each one has its own unique styling taken from the GT model. I like the GT and I love the Saleen. I'm anxious to the the SVT and Shelby models. It's going to interesting to see what they come up with.

Not sure if this is helping your decision, just a thought.
Right on !!!

One of the beauties of the Mustang is it's many personalities: ...it can be what you want it to be. If you don't like "plain Vanilla" (which is pretty neat all by itself), there are not only options from the factory, but the aftermarket mods (especially those "encouraged" by Ford) have grown by leaps and bounds in just a relatively short time.

Just think what the future will bring.

Old 2/11/05, 07:14 AM
Cobra Member

I didnt mean the tech. for the hp part, I ment tech like the drive by wire. What was so wrong with the standard old throttle cabe?
Old 2/11/05, 07:16 AM
Cobra Member

I absolulty LOVE the 05 Saleen, and hate the Roush, which is weird cause its the other way around when it comes to SN-95's.

But I cant afford a s/c'ed Saleen
Old 2/11/05, 07:19 AM
FR500 Member

Another thing to consider Corey is that you really can't make a sound judgement on this car without seeing one in person. The pictures are great, but even the best photo's don't do it justice.
Old 2/11/05, 07:23 AM
Cobra Member

Did he say he will have a hard time telling the difference between a 2005 gt and a 2004 gt? I guess I don't understand how he can't tell difference. Maybe he referring to performance and not style.
Old 2/11/05, 07:25 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Mustangfreak@February 11, 2005, 8:17 AM
I didnt mean the tech. for the hp part, I ment tech like the drive by wire. What was so wrong with the standard old throttle cabe?
Since it has variable valve timing, you have to alter throttle tip-in to compensate. I've lived with DBW with my Audi and Bimmer. You got to change things to get high RPM HP and low RPM torque. That's why God invented computers!
Old 2/11/05, 07:26 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@February 11, 2005, 8:22 AM
Another thing to consider Corey is that you really can't make a sound judgement on this car without seeing one in person. The pictures are great, but even the best photo's don't do it justice.

Ive seen a Torch Red GT in person, and a Winviel Blue, and I think that the 05 looks best in TR, then in black.

Route66, I didnt mean that I couldnt tell the difference, I ment I would have a hard time choosing.
Old 2/11/05, 07:28 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Route 66@February 11, 2005, 8:26 AM
Did he say he will have a hard time telling the difference between a 2005 gt and a 2004 gt? I guess I don't understand how he can't tell difference. Maybe he referring to performance and not style.
He said he would have a tough time deciding between the two, not that he couldn't tell the difference between the two.
Old 2/11/05, 07:32 AM
Bullitt Member

The last Mustang I really liked was the 1966 Shelby. From then on, they started to get a little bigger, and little more rounder, etc. The late sixties and early seventies' Mustangs were still Mustangs, but after that, it went all downhill.

So, to see a 2005 GT brings back memories of 1966. That's why I have ordered my first Mustang, and my first Ford car, ever. What I DO like about the 05 is the technology that allows the buyer to drive a retro looking car with modern performance and pollution control.
Old 2/11/05, 07:34 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Mustangfreak@February 11, 2005, 7:29 AM

Yes. Yes, you are.
Old 2/11/05, 07:36 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by LimeJohnny+February 11, 2005, 8:37 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LimeJohnny @ February 11, 2005, 8:37 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Mustangfreak@February 11, 2005, 7:29 AM

Yes. Yes, you are.
[/b][/quote]
Well help me out here and make me learn to love it
Old 2/11/05, 07:38 AM
Bullitt Member

I had a 2002 GT and picked up a Redfire 05 GT in November.

Simple answer.... there is no comparison. The 05 blows away the old model in every way possible.

Exterior, interior, sound, performance, comfort, .... everything.

People stop and stare at the 05, strangers come up to me and ask tons of questions and start telling stories of 60's and 70's models that they had.

HC trap, big deal, helps with emissions, it's been shown that the engine is tuned right and this baby jumps off the line and flies through the gears.

And it's already been shown that with a few mods and a tune you can get this baby 0-60 in under 5 seconds. What other $25,000 car can do that.

But that's just my opinion.....
Old 2/11/05, 07:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Mustangfreak@February 11, 2005, 9:39 AM
Well help me out here and make me learn to love it
Sorry bub, we can't do that. That's something you're going to have to figure out. It all comes down to you.

BTW, I agree w/ you on the SN95 Roush's. I don't know what happened to cause them to design these S197 beasts of a car.
Old 2/11/05, 07:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think the '05 GT styling is great - an improvement on the 99-04 models in every way... except for the hood. I'm not really a fan of non-functional scoops in general, but that long hood is almost begging for something to break up the monotony. I would bet that by '06 or '07, there will be some kind of hood scoop, or perhaps small "nostrils" like the 94-98 hoods, or best yet - a shaker hood like the '03-'04 Mach 1!

I've ordered an '05 and will love it as it is, but when a different hood comes out on the later iterations, I know I'm going to wish I had the new hoods.

Other than the hood, I really love the '05 styling. And for the thousandth time, PICTURES DO NOT DO THEM JUSTICE - the '05 looks so much better in person.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one that feels this way?