2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Am I the only one?

Search this Thread

Old 11/28/18, 11:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
Am I the only one?

A good friend (www.morrisonmotorco.com) that I have bought several cars from has a beautiful 2014 Grabber Blue GT manual with 44K miles. I thought, dayum I would love to have that car. Well sir, the wife and I drove down to Myrtle Beach in my '06 this Sunday. And, by the time I got there my mind would just not let me go through with that thought. The little S197 is just to much fun, and I can't see why I would ever trade it for another. This is the only car I've ever owned that I have felt that way about. Dose anyone know of a pill I could take that would clear up this affliction?
Old 11/28/18, 11:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Nosir, I'm in the same boat. Love me my '06 way way too much.

I wouldn't worry about it. For afflictions, it's a good one to have!

/Nuthin' sayin' you can't have a third... 'cept maybe the better half... or garage space... or...
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (11/29/18)
Old 11/29/18, 07:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
I test drove a Sonic blue GT with the GT package a few days ago and now of course I can't get that car out of my mind. Just need another 30k and I will be in bizness.
wanted33 (11/29/18)
Old 11/29/18, 11:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
I test drove a Sonic blue GT with the GT package a few days ago and now of course I can't get that car out of my mind. Just need another 30k and I will be in bizness.
I'm quite lucky in that sense Glenn. We're out of town, and I was going to call about that blue GT tomorrow. He sold it yesterday.....

Old 11/29/18, 04:41 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,584 Posts
Originally Posted by wanted33
A good friend (www.morrisonmotorco.com) that I have bought several cars from has a beautiful 2014 Grabber Blue GT manual with 44K miles. I thought, dayum I would love to have that car. Well sir, the wife and I drove down to Myrtle Beach in my '06 this Sunday. And, by the time I got there my mind would just not let me go through with that thought. The little S197 is just to much fun, and I can't see why I would ever trade it for another. This is the only car I've ever owned that I have felt that way about. Dose anyone know of a pill I could take that would clear up this affliction?
Here's a pill that just might work to keep you from trading in your little "06" GT Jim. " If it isn't broke, " don't fix it" Needless to say, it has worked for me
Old 11/30/18, 10:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Here's a pill that just might work to keep you from trading in your little "06" GT Jim. " If it isn't broke, " don't fix it" Needless to say, it has worked for me
That's for sure Rocky. My dearest who is quite reasonable said the same. She also said she likes '06 to much to let it go. So, it's got a home for the time being, and I'll have the extra money in my pocket for other toys.
m05fastbackGT (11/30/18)
Old 11/30/18, 12:45 PM

That's for sure Rocky. My dearest who is quite reasonable said the same. She also said she likes '06 to much to let it go. So, it's got a home for the time being, and I'll have the extra money in my pocket for other toys.
I feel the same way towards my "06" as your dearest does, Jim . Say what you will about the current S550 platform, however despite its technical advancements over the 05-14 S197 platform, the S550 models just don't capture that retro spirit of the 1st generation 65-73 Mustangs as the 05-14 S197 models IMHO. And yes, most definitely consider that extra money you'll have in your pocket for those other toys as well. All in all, I'd say it's a win-win in your favor by holding onto your "06" GT
wanted33 (12/1/18)
Old 11/30/18, 02:50 PM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
I hate to say this but I think as we get older we get too comfortable with our rides. I never used to own cars for so long but both my Trans Am and Mustang were bought new and are still in my garage. That's a lot of years, for me anyway. The '09 C6 was too expensive to buy new but I am the first owner (MSO sale) and I can see keeping it awhile too.
The following 2 users liked this post by NC14GT:
m05fastbackGT (12/2/18), wanted33 (12/1/18)
Old 12/1/18, 10:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
I hate to say this but I think as we get older we get too comfortable with our rides. I never used to own cars for so long but both my Trans Am and Mustang were bought new and are still in my garage. That's a lot of years, for me anyway. The '09 C6 was too expensive to buy new but I am the first owner (MSO sale) and I can see keeping it awhile too.
I think you're right Dave. It's hard to get myself geared up for all the stuff that goes into buying another car. While it's not that difficult, I think you know what I mean. Like you, in my younger years if I kept a car five years that was a good run. The only one I've never had an inkling to trade, or sell is my old '67 Camaro. It's been in the family since 1973 when Dad bought it, and it's like an old dog now. It just lays around, but when I'm ready it's there for me.

BTW, I bought my '06 GT to have a little project to keep me out of my brides hair. But since doing all those little things, plugs, belts, brakes, etc. it hasn't needed anything but gas. It's a knat's breath away from 99K miles, and just runs right along. I think it's going to be fine until I change the rear end fluid at 100K. That's OK though, I always have the "Liar's Club" at the coffee shop, and a basement full of play toys to keep me busy.
The following 2 users liked this post by wanted33:
m05fastbackGT (12/2/18), NC14GT (12/3/18)
Old 12/29/18, 03:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
I'm still here too! 2005 GT Convertible, bought new, 123k on the clock, NEVER GETTING RID OF IT.
wanted33 (12/31/18)
Old 12/29/18, 09:10 PM

You're definitely not alone, as you're in very good company
The following 2 users liked this post by m05fastbackGT:
mrkabc (2/3/19), wanted33 (12/31/18)
Old 1/1/19, 06:39 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
still in love with mine too...the new ones are better cars, but, the looks dont call out to me - not at all.. often still thinking about a new challenger, only two problems:
1) its a dodge
2) wouldnt think of getting rid of any of the mustangs to make room...

on the Dodge thing, yeah all have their issues, but man... we were at the auto show, my son was looking at a RAM- price was good, but i said 'yeah, but its a Dodge, notorious with things that shouldnt break falling apart' sales guy musta heard me, started chiming right in...2 seconds later, a lady who was in the truck with her family checking it out opened the door to get out, closed the door, it bounced open...she slammed it harder, bounced again, third time the freaking door panel pops off the handle goes 'TWANGGGG' and a spring or something goes flying past us... i say "see what i mean?' and the salesmans shoulders dropped as far as his jaw...
a girl at work had a durango, one day saw she had a new car- 'got a new one huh?' she replied' no the durango's bellhousing broke' I asked her husband about it- yes the bellhousing cracked, tranny about fellout...what the heck???

still love the challengers, but i have found one STUPID issue there too- after seeing a unusually large number of burnt challengers in scrapyards, did some research- the passenger side tophap that mounts the fuel pump in the tank on challenger/charger/300/magnum all have a tendency to crack and leak fuel under the rear seat- ive written dodge a couple times, even asked NHTSA about if they'd looked into this, Mum... a fuel tank lid should NEVER be a service item that can crack in a pothole or collision impact... mark my words, theres eventually gonna be a recall. search 'challenger fuel smell' theres way too many with busted plastic lids... on the wrecked/burnt ones theres nothing left as evidence. If i do ever get one, that lids gonna get epoxy filled to stabilize the thin webbing gussets all over it
wanted33 (1/4/19)
Old 1/4/19, 12:51 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 GT Convertible, 48,000 miles. Shes here to stay...
wanted33 (1/4/19)
Old 1/4/19, 05:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

After hearing that undeniable "pop" from the front left wheel a couple days ago I told the wife that it's gonna need some ball joints. She ask, "Can you do that"? I said nope, ain't got the tools. She then said, "Well, I guess you'll have to get someone to fix it then". Not one word about how old the car is, or that we may need to get rid of it, just get 'er fixed. Now that's a good woman.
m05fastbackGT (1/6/19)
Old 1/6/19, 08:29 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
You better believe it.
wanted33 (1/6/19)
Old 1/6/19, 02:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
You better believe it.

Dave, the good thing about this woman is she has grown into a gearhead in her own right. At least there's one good trait of mine that has rubbed off on her. She's so good she'll see a beauty somewhere, and say look at that '57 ( or whatever year it may be) Chevy, etc. Makes me so proud.
Old 1/6/19, 07:06 PM

After hearing that undeniable "pop" from the front left wheel a couple days ago I told the wife that it's gonna need some ball joints. She ask, "Can you do that"? I said nope, ain't got the tools. She then said, "Well, I guess you'll have to get someone to fix it then". Not one word about how old the car is, or that we may need to get rid of it, just get 'er fixed. Now that's a good woman.
She's most definitely one of a kind, Jim
wanted33 (1/7/19)
Old 2/3/19, 03:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Get the LCAs from American Muscle here:

https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-...ms-0511gt.html

These are the Ford Performance ones - they really aren't that hard to install and you can do it with a floor jack and hand tools. The only "special" tool is the ball joint tool, and you can rent that from Auto Zone for free. There are lots of installation videos online as well - save some $$ and do it yourself! I did, and it cured the wandering steering and ominous ball joint creaks and groans.

New LCA, balljoint, and outer tie rod end

Installing the new LCA, only hand tools needed
wanted33 (2/3/19)