2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

The air bag light was on

Search this Thread

Old 3/19/17, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The air bag light was on

When I bought my Mustang off a private lot. the air bag ;light was on. The dealer assured me that the air bag was operational. If it wasn't, he could not sell it to me. I subsequently had my mechanic turn the light off assuming it was just a blip in an 11 year old car. Besides, I could tell that the car had been in a frontal collision and that maybe that caused the light to turn on.

My question, Since there is a recall on these bags, did Ford turn the light on remotely and my mechanic and dealer were wrong in not informing me of this? No big deal now. I'm aware of the recall. And I'm in the (long, drawn out) process of getting it corrected.
Old 3/19/17, 03:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
The dealer is full of crap.
Old 3/19/17, 03:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
So much wrong...

How exactly is the dealership able to assure you that the airbag is functional?

A blip? Come on, man. That light was on because a sensor was saying that something is not correct with the airbag. You say it was in a wreck? Maybe the airbag deployed and they didn't bother replacing it.

The airbag recall has nothing to do with that light, and no one is turning it on remotely. I never would've bought that car, and that dealer sounds sketchy.
Old 3/19/17, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think believing Ford has the capability of turning a light on is out of the range of possibilities. Cars can be disabled, diagnosed, and found via satellite. They know which VINS are affected. So I was just curious if Ford used this as another method to cover their butts by turning lights on in affected vehicles. "Hey, we did everything we could to tell the cobsumer' The dealer? He's also been in business for 31 years, so I gave him the benefit of doubt. Who's going to risk killing someone for one sale? :/ I could hieever, be wrong on that front. As far as cars that have been in accidents, even bad ones, they can end up being very reliable. And what I mean by 'blip' is, things like that oh so scary check engine light can come on if the gas cap is loose. Or the engine is on fire. One is urgent, the other, not so much. lol Thanks for your reply though.
Old 3/19/17, 09:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Lime Puddin
I don't think believing Ford has the capability of turning a light on is out of the range of possibilities. Cars can be disabled, diagnosed, and found via satellite. They know which VINS are affected. So I was just curious if Ford used this as another method to cover their butts by turning lights on in affected vehicles. "Hey, we did everything we could to tell the cobsumer' The dealer? He's also been in business for 31 years, so I gave him the benefit of doubt. Who's going to risk killing someone for one sale? :/ I could hieever, be wrong on that front. As far as cars that have been in accidents, even bad ones, they can end up being very reliable. And what I mean by 'blip' is, things like that oh so scary check engine light can come on if the gas cap is loose. Or the engine is on fire. One is urgent, the other, not so much. lol Thanks for your reply though.
Wow man.

One more vote for no here.
Old 3/29/17, 12:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The air bag recall has nothing to do with the operation of the supplementary restraint system. It involves the inflate system possibly throwing projectiles when inflation occurs. This will not set an airbag code. The airbag light is On because there is a problem in the system. The dealer should have repaired it before selling the car to you if your State requires the Supplementary Restraint System to be operational.