2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

After FIVE Months it's happened

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/05, 03:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, it's finally happened. After owning my 05 Mustang for a little over five months I have some minor body damage on the car. :bang: :bang: :bang:
Early Saturday morning I got up early to take the car to the dealer to have my 'service engine soon' light checked. As I was getting ready to leave I noticed one of my neighbors had parked real close to my driveway so as I was backing out I barelywent over the curb and scraped the bottom of the front bumper on the right front side.
The damage is minor (you can hardly see it unless you're looking for it), but I'm going to get it repaired...and while I'm at it I'll get the mirrors painted.
One of my neighbors works in a body shop and does small jobs on the side so I'm going to ask him what he'll charge to repair/paint the damaged area for me...and what he'll charge for the mirrors.
What really bugs me (other then the damage) is that I ALWAYS back my car in the driveway, but for some reason I decided to drive it straight in Friday night. If I had followed my usual routine and backed in the damage wouldn't have happened.
Old 6/5/05, 03:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Mike McRann@June 5, 2005, 5:26 PM
Well, it's finally happened. After owning my 05 Mustang for a little over five months I have some minor body damage on the car. :bang: :bang: :bang:
Early Saturday morning I got up early to take the car to the dealer to have my 'service engine soon' light checked. As I was getting ready to leave I noticed one of my neighbors had parked real close to my driveway so as I was backing out I barelywent over the curb and scraped the bottom of the front bumper on the right front side.
The damage is minor (you can hardly see it unless you're looking for it), but I'm going to get it repaired...and while I'm at it I'll get the mirrors painted.
One of my neighbors works in a body shop and does small jobs on the side so I'm going to ask him what he'll charge to repair/paint the damaged area for me...and what he'll charge for the mirrors.
What really bugs me (other then the damage) is that I ALWAYS back my car in the driveway, but for some reason I decided to drive it straight in Friday night. If I had followed my usual routine and backed in the damage wouldn't have happened.

Wow that stinks man. Unfortuately unless we keep them in a glass case and never drive them it's bound to happen sooner or later.
Old 6/5/05, 03:56 PM
CME
GT Member

I was at a convenience store one day. The only cars on the lot was a guy getting gas and the employee's car. So I parked toward the end with the employee's car. There were still lots of empty spots. Came back out and there was a car on each side of mine, and still an entire section of empty spots. As I walk past the sun hits my passenger door where a brand new ding was. I was guite upset at how senseless people can be. I've noticed this to be the case wherever I go. No matter how far away I park someone wants to park beside me (maybe they want something to rub off onto their car?). So now I try to find spots with only one open side so they can only get one door at a time.

On a positive note ithe ding did give me a good reason to have my sidestripes done.
Old 6/5/05, 04:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by CME@June 5, 2005, 2:59 PM
I was at a convenience store one day. The only cars on the lot was a guy getting gas and the employee's car. So I parked toward the end with the employee's car. There were still lots of empty spots. Came back out and there was a car on each side of mine, and still an entire section of empty spots. As I walk past the sun hits my passenger door where a brand new ding was. I was guite upset at how senseless people can be. I've noticed this to be the case wherever I go. No matter how far away I park someone wants to park beside me (maybe they want something to rub off onto their car?). So now I try to find spots with only one open side so they can only get one door at a time.

On a positive note ithe ding did give me a good reason to have my sidestripes done.
In the past (with my other cars) I would always try and find the closet parking spot to the business I was going to...but not with the 05.
I look for the space on the end of a row where I can park a lilltle over the line (on the side away from other spaces so I can leave enough room for other cars to park and swing their doors open wide and not hit my car...and so far it's worked for me as I haven't got any dings yet.

I've been thinking about getting my mirrors painted so this will give me an excuse to get that done when I get the bumper repaired.
Old 6/5/05, 06:11 PM
FR500 Member

Sorry about the damage. Hope your neighbor can fix as new. If you get your mirrors painted, please post a pic.
Old 6/5/05, 06:19 PM
V6 Member

Good luck with the fix! That will look so nice with the mirrors painted!
Old 6/5/05, 07:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by wild stray@June 5, 2005, 5:14 PM
Sorry about the damage. Hope your neighbor can fix as new. If you get your mirrors painted, please post a pic.
As much as I hate to say it, it's my fault for the damage...not the neighbor.
I had enough room to get out without causing any damage, but I pulled a little too far to the right causing me to scratch the bumper.

After looking at the bumper a few minutes ago it doesn't look that bad, only three or four scratches that you can hardly see, so I might wait awhile before getting the area fixed and the mirrors painted.
But once the mirrors are done I'll post pictures.
Old 6/5/05, 08:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Its stinks Murphy's law anything that can happen will happen don't take it too hard unless like me your niegbours kid hitting the side with a bike is ok by him cause it was a kid ? no dif who dun it especially while I'm within site.
Old 6/5/05, 08:28 PM
V6 Member

atleast your front bumper on yor pony didnt get shot by a gun
Old 6/5/05, 08:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
shot ! what did you do hold up a bank to pay for it ? lol
Old 6/6/05, 12:02 PM
Bullitt Member

I always try to park away from everyone else....my kids will even make a game of trying to find the most remote spot for me to park. "Look dad...across the street....behind that billboard....theres a whole parking lot with no one in it!!"

but...you know what? I can't tell ya how many times i have parked WAY out in the middle of nowhere...come back out....walk the the 37 empty slots to my car...and find 4 or 5 ragged out cars or Soccer Mom Escalades sourrounding me...what gives???

God forgive me when some low life in his 74' Fairmont dings my car with his door and is STUPID enough to leave it parked next to mine...."Hulk Angry...no like ugly car....Hulk Smash!"

Jay
Old 6/6/05, 12:21 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by CME@June 5, 2005, 3:59 PM

I am not beyond calling the police and having an accident report filled out for a ding. It has little to with money and more to do with inconveniencing the other party and causing their insurance premiums to go up. Even if you didn't actually see it, it is usually not too hard to prove by the lining up of the door, and 8 out of 10 times, there will be some paint rubbing off between the two cars. Also, if they leave the scene, I would not be beyond contacting some of my DA friends and having them prosecuted for leaving the scene of a crime or hit and run. To me, negligent acts like that are every bit as egregious as purposeful acts. Anyway, sorry about the rant. I just get really ticked at people that have no respect for other people's property.
Old 6/7/05, 07:03 AM
GT Member

I got rear ended 4 days before I made the first payment on mine (minor damage). Once the insurance writes the check for the damage, instead of repainting the bumper, I may check into buying a GT takeoff bumper. ANyone know a good place to look for one?

I also have a small paint chip in my passenger side door that looks like someone kicked up a rock on the highway.

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
Old 6/7/05, 07:27 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by MojoKhan@June 7, 2005, 6:06 AM
I may check into buying a GT takeoff bumper. ANyone know a good place to look for one?
http://crashparts.cascocompany.net/
Old 6/7/05, 09:10 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by CME@June 5, 2005, 5:59 PM

Same thing happened to me. I ALWAYS park at the end of the lots away from people or in spots where no one can park next to me. I stopped at the store on my way to work one morning and thought....it's early, the whole lot is empty, i'll park a little close. I come out and the lot is still empty except for the two SUV's parked on each side of me. WTF!? I checked my driver side but didn't check my passenger side. When I came out of work that afternoon, I saw it on my door. :bang: That jerk on my passenger side at the store had dinged me. I was FURIOUS....but I got real lucky. I went straight to the dealership where my sister worked (at the body shop). He just left paint on top of mine, no dent, scratch, or anything. I felt much better that there was no damage to my car, but was still pissed at the ignorance and carelessness of some people.
Old 6/7/05, 09:23 AM
Cobra Member

I was walking through my garage and kicked the wheel stop which moved it a little. I grabbed it and without thinking put it back in it's old spot which worked great on my PT Cruiser (it was shorter than the stang). I pulled my stang in the garage, hit the door button and went inside. My wife comes home and tells me the door is stuck on my car. I'm like, "Wha??" I still didn't realize what I had done. As (bad) luck would have it, the wheel stop was such that the car was just where the door could barely slip down the bumper, and of course there is a bolt right in the center of the door in the perfect spot to gouge the bumper all the way down. The door wedged against the bumper so tight that the door couldn't reverse at that point. So now I have scrapes and a big gouge in my rear bumper. Beautiful! :cry: :cry: I'll get it fixed, but I hate to be without it even for a few days.
Old 6/7/05, 09:28 AM
Cobra Member

On the parking thing, you wouldn't believe how far away I park when I go anywhere. This is a habit I've had since my very first car. I don't get nearly enough exersize and figure it surely doesn't hurt me to walk a little bit extra either! But somehow someone always manages to ding or scratch my cars every once in a while despite that. Too many mean people out there.