2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Accident Repair: Question Regarding Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/06, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accident Repair: Question Regarding Acceleration

Hello,

I posted a while ago about an accident where a lady hit my baby on the passenger rear section of my car. I posted pictures of the incident. I just got the car back today, and I noticed a few things. However one in particular I was most concerned about.

When you accelerate, do you notice a slight pull to one side? This evening on my way home, i had to take it out of the interstate for a run, "to check things out." I noticed the car seemed to track fine under normal acceleration, but when I gave it some decent acceleration, I noticed the car was turning to the right side...which so happens to be the side she hit me on. I know they had to replace the wheel and tire, and I took it to a reputable shop, so I was just trying to see if anyone else notices this on a normal Mustang?

Also, what would make the blinker on one side blink faster than the other side?? hahaha...Holy hell...I just want her back to normal....
Old 11/8/06, 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Did you have your Mustang aligned after the accident? Cos, you might have an alignment issue.

And, bodyshops may know now to make the car look good again but they suck at making them work right. Have your local dealer do a multipoint inspection on her to make sure everything is in correct working order.
Old 11/8/06, 08:36 PM
V6 Member

you can drive STRAIGHT through a big puddle of water then look to see how your tire tracks match up. and i think they installed the wrong bulb you can check the number stamped on it. could be wrong but it should be a 3557 i think good luck
Old 11/8/06, 08:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for your input so far guys. I am going to take it back into the body shop and complain about those two items, plus ask them to clean the **** thing up as well. OMG..how could they let a car go out their door with it looking like it went through a Kansas dust storm with the windows open???
Old 11/8/06, 09:10 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by chorpeac
Hello,

I posted a while ago about an accident where a lady hit my baby on the passenger rear section of my car. I posted pictures of the incident. I just got the car back today, and I noticed a few things. However one in particular I was most concerned about.

When you accelerate, do you notice a slight pull to one side? This evening on my way home, i had to take it out of the interstate for a run, "to check things out." I noticed the car seemed to track fine under normal acceleration, but when I gave it some decent acceleration, I noticed the car was turning to the right side...which so happens to be the side she hit me on. I know they had to replace the wheel and tire, and I took it to a reputable shop, so I was just trying to see if anyone else notices this on a normal Mustang?

Also, what would make the blinker on one side blink faster than the other side?? hahaha...Holy hell...I just want her back to normal....
Check your tire pressures too (first). If one side on the rear is significantly lower pressure, because of the limited slip it will pull to the low side..
Old 11/8/06, 11:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Usually that means the rearend is shifting around, from friends who have had control arm bushings go out have experienced the "pull" when accelerating.
Old 11/9/06, 07:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

I took her back in today, and they are going to check the light for me, he said could have been the wrong bulb or a bulb is out. But I checked both bulbs, they were working...just really fast.

At first he asked me to drive it for a few days and see if the pull goes away, since they had to replace parts(including the wheel) on the right rear wheel. Then after I asked if they could detail the inside since it looked like a dust storm in there, he said they would have the alignment person check it out. It's due for a 25k service, so Ford will do a multipoint inspection during that. Unfortunately, the Ford dealership here doesn't do body work, so it has been going to a Dodge dealer for the body work... I wish I could have had it all done at Ford.
Old 11/9/06, 07:57 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
regarless of where it was done, it sounds as if they did a shoddy job IMO.

The car should at least be put on a frame machine to see if everything is lined up and square, I'm not sure what exactly was repaired, but maybe a control arm was bent in the collision.

The car being returned to you dirty is ridiculous, reputable shops usually ensure the car is spotless when you pick it up.
Old 11/10/06, 03:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'll get a more detailed list from my sheet when I pick it up from my house. I took it up to Shenandoah Park today and road it on the curvies. It still felt ok, but that acceleration on second gear was pulling the car to the right, same side as accident. I'm going to go out and measure the tire pressures tomorrow.

Oh what is the wheel size for the GT premium wheels? The ones like the concept, not bullits? I read on the repair order that a new wheel, size 16x7 was used. Is that the right size? I thought they were 17" wheels??
Old 11/10/06, 04:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

You are correct, the Concept Wheel is 17". Sorry to hear about the trouble with your Stang.
Old 11/10/06, 05:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you mean the wheels like the car in my avitar, those are 17's. The GT does NOT come with any 16" wheel options. As long as the wheel looks the same as the other 3, it is probably a mistake on the sheet.
Old 11/10/06, 07:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Don't be satisfied until all is right.
Weren't these the wheels for the concept? Or that just from the 04 auto show
Old 11/11/06, 06:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah I definitely have to take her back in for the wheel pulling problem. Oh get this guys....
On a recommendation from a friend, I went to carmax and got an appraisal done. The insurance company of the lady gave me 900 something for loss of value, but I haven't cashed the check yet. I didn't do it yet because my friend said get an appraisal from Carmax and see what they will appraise it. Then take that value and subtract it from Blue Book. That difference is around what they should give you for the car. Well I didn't do blue book yet, but guess what Carmax appraised it at? $15,000! I couldnt believe it. I spent 27K on that car, and it's toasted. Plus they said they can't even sell it on their lot, they would have to auction it off. OMG...I'm totally going to try to get more than 900 something for loss of value.

Oh and yeah they were the premium wheels for 2005, which didn't have the fan blades (concept) yet. So I probably misrepresented them. I hope the sheet is wrong, because I didn't think they made that in a smaller size.
Old 11/13/06, 07:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ok here is a break down of what was in the estimate. Maybe you can shed some light on some of these parts for me.

Frame/Unibody
RPR Setup and Measure
RPR Pull Sheet Metal
Rear Suspension
REPL RT Bearing
REPL RT Axle Shaft ASSY w/ABS
REPL RT Axle Seal
REPL RT Quarter Panel
RPR Rt Inner Panel
RPR Rt Inner WheelHouse
Door
REPL Weather Striping
REPL RT Door Sheel
REPL RT Handle, Outside Siler Pillar, Rocker and Floor
RPR Front Floor Pan
RPR Rt Inner Rocker Roof
Wheel
REPL Recond Rt/Rear Wheel Allow Type 1, 16x7
REPL RR/Rear Tire
Mount/Balance

So of all that damage, what could be causing the pull to the right side during acceleration?
Old 11/13/06, 10:51 AM
Cobra Member

Based on that info, it sounds to me like possibly the suspension might be bent, like a bent control arm or the control arm mount on the body might have been damaged. Something is causing the thrust angle (direction in which the axle would go if the front wheels weren't there) of the axle to be way off, that will cause the car to pull when you accelerate. Also, take a look at your replaced wheel to make sure they didn't put the wrong wheel and tire on, it should be obvious if the wheel doesn't match.
Old 11/13/06, 11:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

I am taking it into the dealer tomorrow for the 25K service. This is not the place that did the body work. I'll mention it to them and see if they can find it. I told theh body shop manager about it when I took it home the next day, and he was like..."drive it around for a couple days and see if you still notice it." Gesh....

Well the wheel is the same style, but like I posted earlier, I thought they were supposed to be 17 inch rims, where this paper says 16x7. I'll measure them and see if they are the same size.