2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

60sec 05 COMMERCIAL COMING

Search this Thread

Old 9/11/04 | 11:33 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Thumbs down

Got wind of this from camaroz28.com and pandamonkey's post.

Ford is filming a 60sec commercial spot for the new mustang in a corn field where they made their own racetrack. The following is an article from the local paper in Chilliwack, BC, CANADA (by the way ). This commercial sounds awesome.

Here's the article:

For corn and dairy farmer David VanderKooi it's business as usual around his East Chilliwack acreage this week.

Show business, anyway.

From afar, there is little sign of the massive production that descended on the Riverdale Dairy a few weeks ago. But meander through the corn stalks and a three-quarter mile race track becomes visible. Generator-powered light poles, a false house front, a barn built with one-by plywood, and the 100-or-so crew members make this corn field an anomaly in the Fraser Valley.

Sure the crops will be harvested, but it will have to wait until Streelight Films and Believe Media have wrapped the filming of a 60-second, international commercial touting the new 2005 Ford Mustang.

For Mr. VanderKooi, it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

"It's Ford," he laughs. "How can you say no, especially with the Mustang. The inconvenience is minimal, but it's worth it."

He mentions the monumental task of removing a black-top race track from the middle of his corn field. But the crew, both from Los Angeles and Vancouver, will be staying in Chilliwack to properly remove every trace of the production from his site. They will also be filling in the site with top soil to complete the project.

"Down to the last stone," says Stan Goetz, assistant to location manager Jon Summerland.

"The farm has been exceptional," he says. "They have been on the set everyday, having a great time."

And sure enough, every able body in the Jesperson Road area has been put to work on the $1-million production.

"Any time I wanted to come by I was welcome," says Mr. VanderKooi. "They've involved everyone. All of the neighbourhood kids have been helping. Even the 15 chickens are from the neighbour across the street."

All the stops have been pulled out for this commercial, which director Paul Street describes as Field-of-Dreams-meets-Bullitt.

Audiences can expect to see the ad in theatres and eventually on television within a month, as post-production on commercials is fairly quick, explains Mr. Goetz. In it, a farmer is depicted hearing the rumble of engines while in his field. He is shown step-by-step building something, and a Mustang, along with Steve McQueen (Abbotsford-based look-a-like Mark Myers) rolls out of his barn. Cut to the gratuitous, flashy car scenes whizzing around the newly built track and you have the idea.

The car scenes entail a great deal of accuracy, as well as camera-mounted vehicles, including a high performance motorcycle operated by L.A. stuntman Lou Franco.

"He came within 12 inches of the car at some points," says Mr. VanderKooi, adding that the car hit 180 km p/h at one point in filming.

Another lunar-looking, off-road buggy housed another camera, to be driven through the middle of the track to catch a different angle. And look for overhead views of the car in the upcoming commercials as well. Those shots were taken by a low-flying helicopter.

"It was touching the tops of the corn, and that's 13 feet," says Mr. Goetz. Corn had to be staked into place to stand up to the high winds caused by the aircraft. But that was little concern to what was otherwise a smooth production, he adds.
When the scouts originally contacted Mr. VanderKooi, he thought is was some sort of joke. But once the producers and directors were flying over in helicopter to confirm the location, he knew it was becoming a reality.

Mr. VanderKooi's property is not listed with the Chilliwack Film Commission, he says. The location scouts found the property by asking other local farmers.
He and his family bought the farm almost 25 years ago, and by far this will be one of the most memorable moments there, he says.

"This is really cool, and exciting," he says His first impression of the track was awe, he recalls.

"It's not for real," he thought. "But now, to experience what they go through, it's phenomenal."

Crew members had the same thought when witnessing the farming operations, Mr.
VanderKooi explains.

"They've been down to the farm, and for them to see a calf being born," he says, "well then they all had their digital cameras out.

"It's a pretty different world for both of us."

Crews were busy wrapping up production and dismantling the set this Wednesday, after seven days of filming.

Old 9/11/04 | 11:48 PM
legacy Tms Member

Cool looking ad Dan ,can't wait to see it!!! Ford can film a Mustang commercial in my driveway any time they want!! :worship:
Old 9/11/04 | 11:59 PM
I'm people, and I like.

cant wait to see that ad. sounds like its gonna kick ****
Old 9/12/04 | 12:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well yah know what they say... "If you build it, they will come".
Old 9/12/04 | 12:08 AM
Bullitt Member

since iven hasnt arrived yet

CAAAAAAANNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAA
Old 9/12/04 | 12:09 AM
Cobra R Member

wow, that sounds awesome, a little track hidden in a corn field. That's too good! My girlfriend will appreciate this as she grew up in the country and her highschool was in the middle of a corn field. She's gotten pretty sick of hearing me talk about the new mustang, maybe this'll get her into it!
I'm gonna have to start going to movies again so i can catch it on the big screen.

They just better play this ad a bit more often than the Ford GT ad.
Old 9/12/04 | 12:15 AM

Movie theatres first huh? I'll be sure to bring a copy of that ad home once they get there
Old 9/12/04 | 12:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I know the movie ads are usually up on the web quicker then the tv ads so maybe we'll see it really soon.
Old 9/12/04 | 01:44 AM

I meant the actual 35mm film
Old 9/12/04 | 01:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

:nono:
Old 9/12/04 | 02:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

A theater commercial?! AWESOME!! I know people hate them, but as a car lover, I think the car commercials I've seen in theater for Mazda, Nissan and BMW kick major booty.

Ford commercials stink in the Chicago area, but I am glad to anticipate seeing a Ford commercial where some actual money was spent to make it. I hope it's very high-end like the Super Bowl GT commercial which it sounds like it is. Woo freakin' hoo
Old 9/12/04 | 03:45 AM

Does this mean I have to drag my happy butt down to a theater and pay for a movie just to see my car??? :scratch:

Okay, I'll do it
Old 9/12/04 | 06:33 AM
GTR Member

Too cool! I'll pay just to see the commercial (and leave before the movie starts)!

I can't wait to see it.
Old 9/12/04 | 08:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

Yeah but which movie will it proceed
Old 9/12/04 | 09:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Dan for the thread. Can't wait to see that one.But hhmmm! Let's see. corn is a grain. so is rice. Looks like the 05 is in amongst the ricers. Could this be a challenge? Or, is the pony just teasing? Put it anywhere, it's just 1 COOL CAR! :drive: :drive:

stick-shift's are only for people that want to make them sound like automatics
Old 9/12/04 | 09:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Whoa!!! The Field of Dreams Mustang...that sounds awesome!!! Great find Dan!!! Can't wait to see it!!

Old 9/12/04 | 09:39 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Merlot@September 12, 2004, 11:18 AM
stick-shift's are only for people that want to make them sound like automatics
What in the blue heck?
Old 9/12/04 | 09:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I drive an automatic and I don't get it.
Old 9/12/04 | 09:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

All:

Did a little Googling and found a related article on the new commercial...

http://www.chilliwackpartners.com/tools_re...ticle.php?id=56

...excerpt...

"The commercial is based on the idea that allows us to believe in the power of dreams and to follow our hearts. It creates the magical possibility of meeting our childhood hero and embraces the exhilaration of the driving experience by placing us in the driver’s seat of the Ford Mustang. The Ford Mustang will be shot in the cornfield showcasing our beautiful Fraser Valley landscape."

...a Steve Mcqueen lookalike in a new Ford Mustang...can a Bullitt edition be far behind??? How could they tweak us like that!!!
Old 9/12/04 | 10:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Sweet! I can't wait!

Quick Reply: 60sec 05 COMMERCIAL COMING