2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

5R55S automatic vs. Tremec 3650

Search this Thread

Old 7/28/04, 11:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just found out from my dealer that they are finally accepting orders, I've got my x-plan setup, and all the options selected save for one...the tranny choice!

Does anyone have any info about the 5R55S? I know it's currently being used on the LS and the new T-bird. I also know that a new electronic interface lets the powertrain control module communicate with the automatic transmission 10 times faster than before. How does this compare with the Tremec 3650?

I know for a sports car, everyone says get manual - but is it really more fun to drive a stick? I'll admit I don't know how to drive a stick, but am willing to learn for this car - plus I have time cause my order won't be filled for many months. I'm not worried about driving in stop and go traffic because I'll be keeping my sedan as my daily driver.

I'm worried that after buying it with the stick, I may not like it and it's not like I can return it to the store and exchange it. :bang:

Anyways, I want to put my order in soon. None of my friends will teach me how to drive stick unless I get the car first (maybe I need new friends ) .

Does anyone have any idea what the performance will be with the GT with auto? All the numbers I've seen so far are for the 5-spd version.

thanks, and hope to be a proud 'stang owner soon!
Old 7/28/04, 11:49 AM
Bullitt Member

5 spd manual is much more fun and since you have a daily driver, I would personally choose the 5 spd. I have a daily driver ( I commute 110miles a day) so I chose the 5 spd manual!!
Old 7/28/04, 11:51 AM
Bullitt Member

You will get more RWHP with the stick, how much, I don't know since auto trannys are more efficient than before. But if you drag race, you better know how to shift that thing, for road courses the manual is the only way to go!!!!
Old 7/28/04, 11:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Reports for the Mustang Mach 1 in 2003-2004 equipped with an the old 4-speed Auto were good.

If Ford chose to gear the 5-speed automatic to be similar to the 5-speed manual gearbox, then I would be that Ford may just have a HIT on their hands with the '05 Mustang GT.

I have not heard too many good things about the 5-speed Auto in the T-Bird and LS, but if Ford made improvements, it could be a great trans option.

Since you don't know how to drive a standard, get the automatic, you won't be disappointed with that choice. Just don't expect a 5-speed Auto Mustang to be equally as fast as a standard 5-speed, it won't. While autos are improving, the traditional automatic trans uses more fuel, creates more heat, weighs more, costs more, and simply saps total power to the rear wheels.

Is a standard more fun to drive, well that depends on your drive. If you are in stop-n-go traffic, you will be glad you had the automatic, on the other hand, if you're at the drag strip or enjoying your country backroad twisties, a manual is more fun and more controllable.
Old 7/28/04, 11:56 AM
V6 Member

slush boxes are for whimps
Old 7/28/04, 11:58 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Honda Hater@July 28, 2004, 1:59 PM
Easy on the auto comments ...

Auto is for someone who may not want to drive a stick, or can't.

Please be a little bit open minded....
Old 7/28/04, 12:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey if it is a daily driver and I am in traffic, give me an auto any day!!!
Old 7/28/04, 12:04 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Advice... try and get a friend who drives stick to teach you, that way you can see if you like it or not.

The cars in my fleet are currently auto, but I find a manual transmission far more enjoyable, and I am not mired in stop-and go traffic, which would make me consider an auto.
Old 7/28/04, 12:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally posted by Boomer+July 28, 2004, 12:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Boomer @ July 28, 2004, 12:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Honda Hater@July 28, 2004, 1:59 PM
Easy on the auto comments ...

Auto is for someone who may not want to drive a stick, or can't.

Please be a little bit open minded.... [/b][/quote]
Exactly. I have tendonitis in my knees and just can't drive a stick anymore as a daily driver. I really don't appreciate such narrow minded comments. :nono:
Old 7/28/04, 12:14 PM
Bullitt Member

I prefer a 5 speed. I like to tell the car what gear it should be in, not a computer. If you can't drive a stick, get a friend to teach you. It's not too hard for most people. Plus, you never know when you will need to be able to drive one. It's a good thing to know even if you end up getting an auto mustang.
Old 7/28/04, 12:37 PM
V6 Member

You could do like me and just buy the stick and then learn. That is what I did with my current focus. I use it as a daily driver and commute 100 miles/day. The focus has a light clutch so my leg never gets tired. My girlfriend hated it the first few weeks because I was feeling it out and she gets carsick. After a couple months, you dont even realize that you are shifting anymore. It is nice though if I ever want to hold it in a lower gear when on exit ramps or when passing without that auto lag of hitting the gas pretty hard and then getting kicked in the back. I personally enjoy it but it can get a little annoying if I am in heavy rush hour traffic where you go 10 feet then stop.
Old 7/28/04, 01:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tons more comments on the same subject here:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=2289
Old 7/28/04, 01:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

I live in L.A., with lots of stop and go traffic. I still prefer a manual transmission for a Mustang GT. I have a manual in my current GT, and I ordered a manual for the '05 GT. I like having control of my shift points when I drive. If I didn't drive a sports/muscle car, I would probably get an auto, but a manual just feels right to me in a Mustang.

It really only takes about a day to learn how to drive a manaul.

I'm sure the 5-spd auto will be a good transmission, and fun to drive also.

I would like to see a future (maybe upper-end) Mustang offer SMG. That I'd most definitely go for.
Old 7/28/04, 01:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I was in the same boat for the 05. My first few cars were stick. But most recently I got stuck with an auto. Not bad, but I drove a 2004 Mustang GT and remembered how much fun it was to drive a stick. :drive:

IMO, I feel like I control the car instead of it controlling me. Especially in my area (many hills). Seems like traffic runs at the same speed my car wants to upshift. So it does, then bogs down. Gets irritating. :bang:

I even had a stick shift in the NoVA / DC area. stinked at times, but it was nice when I was elsewhere and could play.
Old 7/28/04, 01:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by GhostTX@July 28, 2004, 1:06 PM
oh yeah...I forgot about that thread. I sort of lost interest in it when the topic started drifting off to hydrogen powered stangs :scratch: . But after reading some of the newer comments, yeah it seems that 5-spd is the way to go. Well since none of my friends will show me how with their car, I'm gonna start hitting up relatives to show me....they owe me lots of favors...time to collect
Old 7/28/04, 01:55 PM
Banned

I drive in traffic everyday with a manual, and in traffic it is a pain in the @$^!&.......so my mustang will be the automatic. Manual is fun, but only on the open road and not in the city with traffic. JMO

Moderated Post

Last edited by shaneyusa; 10/1/23 at 03:44 PM.
Old 7/28/04, 02:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by racerx+July 28, 2004, 1:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (racerx @ July 28, 2004, 1:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GhostTX@July 28, 2004, 1:06 PM
oh yeah...I forgot about that thread. I sort of lost interest in it when the topic started drifting off to hydrogen powered stangs :scratch: . But after reading some of the newer comments, yeah it seems that 5-spd is the way to go. Well since none of my friends will show me how with their car, I'm gonna start hitting up relatives to show me....they owe me lots of favors...time to collect [/b][/quote]
Takes no time at all to learn. Just remember to also learn to start on a hill. I hate it when some jerk pulls up to within an inch of your bumper when you are at a stop light on an upward hill. Does he not realize that you tend to roll back a little? I know the emergency brake trick, but I still think the person is a jerk for doing it.
Old 7/28/04, 03:50 PM
GT Member

If I didn't have a manual in my GT, I would always feel like something is missing.

It's not that hard to learn (and I think everyone should at least know how to drive a stick...what would you do in an emergency if that was all that was available?).

I could understand daily-drive commuters choosing an auto and those with special situations, but in any other case it's a shame if you ask me.
Old 7/28/04, 05:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

If you learn in a cheapee, by the time you drive this car it will drive itself. A beater would be strung out and unresponsive, and the Mustang will most likely respond with any little revs given to it. If you cant get a beater by the time you're ready to buy then I guess it will be auto for you. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 7/28/04, 05:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

I personally will likely be getting an automatic for my Stang. I've never known how to drive a stick and really have no desire to learn (especially with rapidly increasing traffic issues in my region).

I like the idea of having that slightly enhanced control with the manual but the ease of driving a auto is enough to beat that out. I can't imagine the actual performance gain between trannies is really all that much? Maybe one of the folks that know the technical details can enlighten us.

All I want to be able to do is smoke the ricer punks off the line.

Quick Reply: 5R55S automatic vs. Tremec 3650