2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

5 speed manual vs automatic

Search this Thread

Old 6/3/04, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by bghiggins@Jun. 3rd, 2004, 11:27 AM
Why would anyone buy a muscle car with an automatic?? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of it?
I would get a manual in a New York minute if I could, but I have knee problems and the clutch aggravates it. So I'm planning on getting an auto.

For all of us, it's a preference thing. I remember when the same type of comments were spoken regarding air conditioning.

Feel free to get the tranny you like best - and allow the rest of us to do the same.
Old 6/3/04, 11:07 AM
Cobra Member

Are the current ones not hydraulic assisted? Since the new ones are if you touch your foot to the clutch pedal will it shoot in?
Old 6/3/04, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by Badandy@Jun. 3rd, 2004, 1:10 PM
Are the current ones not hydraulic assisted? Since the new ones are if you touch your foot to the clutch pedal will it shoot in?
My '91 Ranger had a hydraulic clutch, and it was easy enough. Much easier than the '67 Fastback I had that had the original 289 removed and a 428CJ put in it's place. That one was so strong that my wife had to use two legs to depress the pedal.

But it's not the amount of pressure - it's the bending of the knee for every shift. I wound up selling the '91 Ranger and getting a '98 Ranger automatic (5 speed, by the way).

I miss shifting my own gears - but I would miss being able to walk even more!

Oh, I forgot - my wife is already giving me grief because the Mustang is much lower to the ground than my Ranger, which is also harder on the knees. I had the bad habit of complaining getting into her Honda Accord in the past. But I figure if I'm careful, I'll be more inclined to manage the lower height if I love the car!
Old 6/3/04, 12:12 PM
GT Member

You must've never hurt your knee. I trounced my right knee in a fencing match last summer, and although it's healed, I can tell you, nothing hurts like a bad knee. Your knee is never at rest, if you're sitting, it hurts, standing, it hurts, walking, it hurts, trying to fall asleep, it hurts, etc. Even a hydraulic clutch would require you to move you knee, and driving your stang aught to be fun, not painful. As for me, I'd go manual, if I was getting an 05.
Old 6/3/04, 12:41 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I still haven't decided on what I want, manual or auto. I too have a bad knee so I may go with the automatic. I just prefer the feel of having more control and being able to burn rubber in second gear when someone in a ricer pulls up next to me.
Old 6/3/04, 12:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have constant knee problems, but, when I'm in a car, my knee is positioned in such a way where it doesn't hurt at all. That's the only reason I still want manual
Old 6/3/04, 12:46 PM

Have you guys heard of a semi-automatic trans ...no clutch but you still have to shift manually. I have one in my 69 Stang. Its a C4 3 speed automaitic with a reverse valved body, has a 3000 stall converter. IMO it performs just as well if not better that any manual transmission. Chirp the tires in every gear..
Old 6/3/04, 12:49 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Dan@Jun. 3rd, 2004, 8:25 AM
There is no need to double-clutch IMO. You can learn to do it just to know....as well as it helps you better understand the tranny mechanics, but other than that, I wouldn't bother.

Plus, you then have to clutch in/out twice instead of once which may decrease the clutch's life.

Plus, unless you're good/very smooth, I would't want to be a passenger with someone who double-clutched all the time.
Actually, Dan, double clutching will prolong the life of your clutch. There's no power beeing transmitted through it when you declutch, and it also extends the life of the synchros. I drove a BMW 320i for 350K miles and it had the original clutch. I did the same with my Alfa Romeo for 90K miles.
Old 6/3/04, 03:41 PM
FR500 Member

I'm going with the automatic... mainly because my wife has to drive the car from time to time, and she can't/won't drive a stick.
Old 6/3/04, 03:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm working on 157K on my current manual 1996 Camaro. I only replaced the pad around 130K, everything is ok.

There's a link I posted on how double-clutching works if you go up in this thread.

And I'll say it again. Manual = Fun.
Old 6/3/04, 04:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Anyway, about double clutching...

Double clutching is a technique, mainly used on very antique autos that have manual trannys without synchronizers, or if they did, they were very poor. What is it you ask?

1. Okay, step one, before you shift to the down gear, use the clutch, put the tranny in neutral, let the clutch go.
2. Then modulate the engine speed to the correct engine speed the engine will be at in the next gear.
3. Once the engine speed is set, push the clutch, move from neutral to the next gear.

Why must you do this, you might ask? Well it puts less wear and tear on the gears in the long run. Remeber, how manual trannys work, you move the gear with the dog teeth foward into the next drive gear.
Old 6/3/04, 06:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by scottie1113+Jun. 3rd, 2004, 11:52 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (scottie1113 @ Jun. 3rd, 2004, 11:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dan@Jun. 3rd, 2004, 8:25 AM
There is no need to double-clutch IMO. You can learn to do it just to know....as well as it helps you better understand the tranny mechanics, but other than that, I wouldn't bother.

Plus, you then have to clutch in/out twice instead of once which may decrease the clutch's life.

Plus, unless you're good/very smooth, I would't want to be a passenger with someone who double-clutched all the time.
Actually, Dan, double clutching will prolong the life of your clutch. There's no power beeing transmitted through it when you declutch, and it also extends the life of the synchros. I drove a BMW 320i for 350K miles and it had the original clutch. I did the same with my Alfa Romeo for 90K miles. [/b][/quote]
Double clutching prolongs gears and synchros. Clutch may shorten tho'. Today's synchros are SO DARN GOOD that double clutch upshifts are totally unescesarry. The Synchro will last a healthy 150k miles, especially on this car, if not more. It will outlast the clutch.
If you don't drive a manual the way it's supposed to be driven the synchro will get damaged faster since its going to be working harder than normal.
Old 6/3/04, 07:15 PM
Cobra Member

You're right. Double clutch upshifting serves no purpose. Use only when downshifting.
Old 6/3/04, 07:50 PM
GT Member

I'm willing to bet that the guys who started with a stick are going to favor it, and vise a versa. But there are so many other ways to drive a car with a stick than an auto. You totally control the response, you are the computer, or valve body if you wish.
Try this with your stick. Run the car up in first gear to about three grand, and hold it there for about a second or two. Now, speed shift into second while nailing it at the same time. You will be rewarded with a long controllable tire frying power slide that will make you want to do it over and over again. And this is just the beginning. Experiment from there. Autos can attempt this, but it won't give you the same experience. Mustangs with autos are cool, but sticks are just....orgasmic.
Old 6/3/04, 08:08 PM
Cobra Member

You'd lose that bet, at least in my case. After 36+ years of driving a stick, I went to an auto about 2 1/2 years ago because of Southern California traffic. While I think driving a stick is fun, I doubt that I'll buy another, and certainly not for a daily driver.
Old 6/3/04, 08:50 PM
GT Member

I was in California last week, landed in LA, drove to Palmdale. Your right, the traffic in the city areas was unbearable, but in Palmdale, wide open and asking for throttle. I don't deny anyone their pleasure. Thats why they make both. Just don't try to tangle with a stick on the street. Equal drivers and equal H.P., the stick driver will have the bigger smile.

Been Driving for 27 years. Guess I've only got a few left.
Old 6/3/04, 09:37 PM
Cobra Member

I don't street race, so tangling with a stick, or any other car, is not an issue for me.
Old 6/3/04, 10:00 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by scottie1113+Jun. 3rd, 2004, 2:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (scottie1113 @ Jun. 3rd, 2004, 2:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dan@Jun. 3rd, 2004, 8:25 AM

Actually, Dan, double clutching will prolong the life of your clutch. There's no power beeing transmitted through it when you declutch, and it also extends the life of the synchros. I drove a BMW 320i for 350K miles and it had the original clutch. I did the same with my Alfa Romeo for 90K miles. [/b][/quote]
Alfa Romeo's rock btw.

Sorry, still not seeing how the clutch will be any BETTER off. The most I can accept is that it is equivalent.

I know it is good for the sychros but I don't think it does enough good to warrant constant double clutching. New cars and their synchros are meant to easily last the full life of the car.

If you want to save your synchros, don't grid'em. You can do all the double clutching you want but a few hard grinds at 6000rpm and they're toast.

What I'm saying is even though it may "technically" be better to double clutch, it is not a necessity by a LONG shot.
Old 6/3/04, 10:18 PM
Cobra Member

Dan, you're absolutely right it's not a necessity at all, but learning how to do it improves your skill as a driver and will give you even more satisfaction when driving a stick. I recommend trying it. It doesn't take long to learn and just a little more to master.

Back in 1992 I dated a woman who had a 325i--very sweet car, BTW. I was driving on the Coast Highway north of San Francisco, which is a very twisty road when it leaves Sausalito. After a while she asked me what I was doing with my feet when I downshifted. Most people don't notice. That was fun.
Old 6/3/04, 10:22 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by scottie1113@Jun. 4th, 2004, 12:21 AM
Dan, you're absolutely right it's not a necessity at all, but learning how to do it improves your skill as a driver and will give you even more satisfaction when driving a stick. I recommend trying it. It doesn't take long to learn and just a little more to master.

Back in 1992 I dated a woman who had a 325i--very sweet car, BTW. I was driving on the Coast Highway north of San Francisco, which is a very twisty road when it leaves Sausalito. After a while she asked me what I was doing with my feet when I downshifted. Most people don't notice. That was fun.
I agree. I live by the same motto: It never hurts to know how to do something. You can't do what you don't know.

I know how to double clutch and am pretty good IMO. I personally don't do it while driving though. But that's my choice. B)

Quick Reply: 5 speed manual vs automatic