2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

2010+ steering wheel center badge

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/10, 05:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010+ steering wheel center badge

Does anyone know or has anyone tried to retrofit the new 2010+ style steering wheel center badge to a previous year model....say an 07 like mine? I've seen the new style in photos and once in person at a dealership....like the looks of it...but didn't have anything with me while at the dealership, to do any measuring to see if it's the same size or could be retrofit.

Thanks for any response.

Edit:

Oops...thought I was in the "interior" section when I posted this....sorry for putting it in the wrong place.

Last edited by Sabre; 10/1/10 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10/8/10, 09:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I've asked this question before and what I found is:

Short answer: doesn't exist at a reasonable price.

Long answer: it can be done but you have to replace the whole airbag (expensive). The cetner cap is clipped and epoxyed on in a very specific way such that it doesn't become a projectile when the airbag goes off. It's likely that for this liability reason, Ford will not offer the center cap seperate to be incorrectly put on. For the same reason the aftermarket only offers a version that sticks on over the existing cap rather than replaceing it. I think saleen sells a kit that does that.

Pics of it removed here if you want a look at how it comes off:
https://themustangsource.com/f692/st...0/#post5398775
Old 10/9/10, 03:28 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by spike
I've asked this question before and what I found is:

Short answer: doesn't exist at a reasonable price.

Long answer: it can be done but you have to replace the whole airbag (expensive). The cetner cap is clipped and epoxyed on in a very specific way such that it doesn't become a projectile when the airbag goes off. It's likely that for this liability reason, Ford will not offer the center cap seperate to be incorrectly put on. For the same reason the aftermarket only offers a version that sticks on over the existing cap rather than replaceing it. I think saleen sells a kit that does that.

Pics of it removed here if you want a look at how it comes off:
https://themustangsource.com/f692/st...0/#post5398775
The factory emblem is very thin aluminum and has prongs on the back around the entire perimeter. During assembly the prongs are straight and pushed through slotted holes in the airbag cover and bent closed. There is no epoxy.

When the airbag deploys, it splits around the emblem to one side in a semi-circle and remains attached to the one side of the split airbag cover.

I have a dilema now where my airbag emblem is severely damaged. Since I cannot get a new emblem seperately, I will be using a wheel center cap pony emblem with the retention prongs filed down on the back. The diameter is perfect. Interestingly, the chrome ring around the center cap emblem matches the contour and form of the round chrome air vent rings.

Last edited by watchdevil; 10/9/10 at 03:33 AM.
Old 10/9/10, 05:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

^^ Whoa.. Someone pried at it a little to hard...

=P