2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

2008 MUSTANG 4.0L V6 5 Spd Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 4/13/11, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 MUSTANG 4.0L V6 5 Spd Automatic

I am in the market for a new car and found a '08 4.0L mustang for what I think is a good price. It has 61,000 miles on it and the guy wants $10,900 for it. I was just wondering when I go to look at it, is there anything I need to look for or ask him since it does have 61,000 miles?

Thank You,
Eric
Old 4/15/11, 06:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, ask him where the V8 is.
Old 4/15/11, 07:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
The price is right for a base V6 at that mileage for a clean loan value. *Retail* value is $14-15, though, and that makes me wonder what's going on, if it's not just purely "get rid of it NOW"-itis on his part for financial reasons.

Again, that's a BASE car. Adding stuff to it makes it worth more than those values, and that's why I'd be leery.

Get a carfax. Definitely, in this case, worth the money to do it. I wouldn't touch the car without it, given he's not asking the retail amount, or close to it.

Check for leaks, good tires, brakes are not worn (You should be able to see them enough through the wheels, and if there are grooves in the discs... your call.)

Make sure everything works inside and out. Gauges, a/c, radio (check all CD slots if changer equipped), that sort of thing.

Let it run for 15 minutes so it goes from cold to warm. Pay attention to how it idles and revs during the warm up.

No leaks. Period. Exceptions: A/C condensation run off and a little out the mufflers, maybe.

Check the charging with the lights on bright, A/C full blast, radio on, interior lights on, brakes on.

And of course, cosmetics equal to the vehicle's mileage and years. 3 year old car with 20,000 miles per year. There'll be a little chipping here and there, and the driver's seat and floorboard may show wear, as will certain switches/buttons, depending on how **** the person was about these things. If the paint doesn't match on a panel in both color and consistency in feel (rougher) or orange peel, it's been hit in some way and repainted badly, guaranteed. See carfax above. If it's really worn out inside, due to whatever activities he was doin', or things he was carryin', well... that's a personal preference issue. Myself, I want it decent inside and out.

Best advice: Caveat emptor. A used car is *always* an unknown. Be prepared to deal with issues after the sale.

I'm sure I missed something, but thems the basics. You can maybe borrow it and take it to a mechanic for an inspection as well if you need to.

In any case, good luck!

Last edited by houtex; 4/15/11 at 07:06 PM.