2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 v6 mustang possible clutch slipping??

Search this Thread

Old 8/23/17, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 v6 mustang possible clutch slipping??

So I started noticing some odd things while driving. My rpms seem to increase more than normal in between gear shifts.

I will be going from 4th to 5th gear and my rpms will sky rocket and my acceleration will be ****. If I go into 5 and try and accelerate at all I have to drop down to 4th and even still my rpms are higher than normal. If this makes any sense it’s almost like putting it in 5th gear is like neutral cause the rpms just rev and then it’ll eventually catch.

I’ve also noticed some difficulties going into gear and some odd sounds from 3rd to 4th kinda like a squeaky noise.

-Completely stock
-121k miles

Could this be the clutch? I am new to mustangs and know little about cars.

Last edited by Justen; 8/23/17 at 07:28 AM.
Old 8/23/17, 11:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
If it is slipping when in gear then yes it sounds like your clutch is going. If you floor it while in gear and your RPM's go up but not your speed, your clutch is probably slipping. If the RPM's are not dropping in between gears then I would think you need to clean your throttle body.
Old 8/23/17, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
If it is slipping when in gear then yes it sounds like your clutch is going. If you floor it while in gear and your RPM's go up but not your speed, your clutch is probably slipping. If the RPM's are not dropping in between gears then I would think you need to clean your throttle body.
The biggest issue seems to be that sometimes the RPMs don’t drop while shifting and my acceleration is horrible.

I tested my clutch by having it in third gear and taking off from a stop and the engine didn’t seem to bog down. It just took a little bit more gas.

Should I just clean the throttle body and see if the issue subside?
Old 8/24/17, 06:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
I think so. Remove it from the car to clean it. Lots of youtube vids out there for that.