2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

2007 V6 Convertible Front Sway Bar Size Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 6/23/18, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 V6 Convertible Front Sway Bar Size Mystery

Hey everyone. So I am in the midst of going through the front end on my 07 V6 Convertible. When I run the VIN (1ZVFT84N675303316 ) it says it has the premium trim package which seems right. I am doing the suspension work to try and get things tight, smooth, and QUIET. When I got the car the front end sounded like an old dump truck. Put in new control arms, sway bar end links, and struts and now it rides really nice and is much more quiet. Anyway, it is going really well except for a lingering very low speed clunk/thunk noise over pavement cracks and seams. I have not yet changed the sway bar bushings, and with 75K miles on the car I am sure they are pretty worn so I may as well change them even if they are not the source of the noise.

So, when I try to look up the correct size front sway bar bushing for this car I found nothing! No one seems to know what the sway bar diameter is on this car, no matter who I talk to about it. The choices on the websites do not match the actual sway bar size.

I jacked it up and put a caliper on the sway bar and it is just a hair over 31mm, or just about 1 1/4 inch diameter. When I try to order bushings that size for the car all the parts websites say that size won't fit the car. I am confused.

Does anyone know what the correct front sway bar / bushing size should be for this vehicle?
Old 6/23/18, 08:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I remember the strut mounts being the number one clunk creator. Newer designs have been created since the original 2005 part

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-rac...013/p/M18183C/

Last edited by Buckshot Barry; 6/23/18 at 08:32 PM.
Old 6/24/18, 08:05 AM
V6 Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
If you go to www.fordpartsgiant.com then enter your vin. It will bring up the parts your car has when it was built. Mine has the 31mm bar and I am still not satisfied with the fit of the new bushings. I believe the clunk is coming from the sway bar bushings I just haven't found bushings I am satisfied with. It in my opinion a mickey mouse design at the very least.

Last edited by hobojack; 6/24/18 at 08:19 AM.
Old 6/24/18, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks! That totally worked. It takes a 7R3Z-5484-E bushing.
Old 6/26/18, 10:29 AM
V6 Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Clapper
Thanks! That totally worked. It takes a 7R3Z-5484-E bushing.

Let me know if you still have the clunk after you install the new bushings.I have a fix. Mine has the same bar and bushings as yours. I still had it after I put new bushings in. And I was convinced this noise was coming from the swaybar. It is to loose for my liking. Either Ford is calling out the wrong bushing for this bar or it's just **** poor engineering. Today I fixed the problem finally. I cut a piece of HDPE 3/16 thick 2x2 the surface that lies flat to the frame. This will compress the bushing around the bar tighter" ELIMINATING THE FRONT END CLUNK"
Old 5/3/21, 06:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I recently purchased a 2008 Mustang 4.0 Coupe Deluxe for my daughter's first car. It had 115k miles on it. From the Carfax and my personal inspection, it has turned out to be exactly what I was hoping it to be, an all original car that had no history of major mechanical issues. It was just driven by previous owners who had to do nothing to it. I wanted to be the one who performed the first maintenance on it. It had the original serpentine belt, spark plugs, fuel filter filled with very dark brown mirk, totally flat shocks, springs and struts, cloth seats, complete with drivers side hole in the lower outside back rest and totally glazed over headlights. In other words, a perfect car that had never been messed with by a wannabe teen age mechanic.

This forum helped me find the "clunk" in the front end. I read where someone suggested that the fastest, easiest and cheapest first step in the process of elimination is to remove the front stabilizer bar. I removed it and wa-la...no more clunk. Someone had placed a plastic shim behind the passenger side mounting clamp in an attempt to stop the "clunk." That was the first and only shade tree fix that the car had. New bushings are on the way.