2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

2006 V6 Mustang Rear timing guide without removing the engine

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/21, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 V6 Mustang Rear timing guide without removing the engine

Is it possible to replace the rear Timing Chain Guide, only the Guide ( right rear side/passenger side) without removing the engine ?!!
will I have enough access after removing the trans!!

2006 Ford Mustang V6
Old 12/3/21, 12:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
I'm just going to link a video so you know what's going on. It's at the bottom due to the way these forums format such things.

That video will show you exactly, right away, what's involved in removal and replacement of that particular timing set (and I'd do the timing set, not just the guides, by the way, but that's me.) You can see how there are a couple of special tools involved to keep things from moving and also keeping them in time. The guides and the chains come out separately if you want, but they go in as an entire set, so that's why I'm replacing the whole set. You're doing it anyway.

There's also several fasteners that must be accessed from the rear of the motor, and that's where the reason for the engine pull happens. You are unlikely to get to them and properly address removal and installation of these fasteners because of how far back the engine sits in the bay. I would not want to trust my abilities to do this without it being out of the car, and I've done the timing on the 4.6L in car. This is the problem with a jackshafted RWD car: One of the banks can't be dealt with in car. FWD, sure, it can probably be done, but then the left side (in this case) might be fun due to the fender/frame rail...

I know that my 4.6L is right up against the firewall, so even with the transmission out, I can't get to much in the back. Thankfully the 4.6L doesn't have this issue. It has... other issues. Still, given that, I'm not sure you can fit tools and hands and what not and *properly* do this job in the car...

But...

...you *could* do it, y'know... All it would take is to pull the column, dash, HVAC (or at least move it out of the way), and then dremel, cutoff wheel, hole saw, sawsall or plasma cut some particular holes in the firewall for easy access of those fasteners, but that seems more than a bit counter productive. And compromises the firewall, but I'm sure you could fashion a solution for those holes and stuff at that point. Yeah. Totally do this, it'll make for great ThemStraws videos! Can't wait to see it.

I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear, but that's the better idea: Yank that motor out and put it on a stand. Fix it right, stuff it back in. Which of course assumes you have the ability in tools and area of shop to work that out, of course. You might wanna look into renting a bay somewhere possibly... I don't know your situation.

One thing is for sure: This is such an iffy try that I would be uncomfortable in placing the car in a situation it can't be moved. Like, you start it, figure it out that you really can't do this, now what? Towing with all parts and such to get it done elsewhere and there went your budget anyway. I'm pulling the engine, and if I can't, I'm getting it done, or replacing the car, because value is what it is. I could fix it in my situation, and I'm cheap labor so I did in my case. Worth it as a now-project car to save Awesome from the timing issues. Glad I did it. Not for everyone.

Yay I rambled again. I wish you good luck with it no matter what you try!

Here's the video:

/They don't design the entire car, they design the chassis and then stick a drivetrain in it afterwards. Once it's out the door, sold, used, and out of warranty they do not care anymore, you need to buy a whole new car already and keep them employed dontchaknow.

Last edited by houtex; 12/3/21 at 12:13 PM.