2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

2006 Pony Grille

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/05, 03:40 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it looks great. I hope that 90% of those planning on buying 06GTs switch to the pony package, causing GTs flood the market and dealers to provide $5000 discounts off MSRP!

Well I can dream can't I?
Old 6/14/05, 04:27 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe I voted that I "Hated It." But I was left with no other choice. I actually like the idea of a special edition grille, but like others have mentioned, there are several weak areas. None of these weaknesses have significance over the other. I would have preferred to vote for "Nice Idea But Poor Execution."

The honeycomb pattern is WAY TOO BIG.

Also, the area behind the fog lamps should be blocked out in the honeycomb design (like on the GT), not just a big open square. It looks like someone took a hacksaw to the grille.

I don't mind the chrome so much, but the outermost pieces should be dropped entirely. I know it is similar to what came before, but those two little pieces of chrome on the outside ends are just too much.

The corral around the pony is pretty much required; if you're going to visually connect the foglamps with a strip of chrome, you've got to have the corral to join them. Having a chrome strip tied to each end of the pony would look kind of goofy!

Isn't it nice how we've all become car designers? Everyone's a critic!
Old 6/14/05, 09:28 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by tom_vilsack@June 14, 2005, 12:52 AM
I really like it,but wish they would offer pony package with a wingy delete...
I don't like the spoiler either, but the way I look it for $1200 I'm paying for ABS/TC and the wheels and tires; everything else is free.

I never have liked spoilers, they seem pretentious to me. They're the automotive equivalent of breast implants. At least on the Mustang they're not DD like on the Cobalt SS.
Old 6/14/05, 01:17 PM
Cobra R Member

i think the pony and coral are too big, and the chrome around the lights is too thick relative to the lights.

how bout this:
make the pony and coral smaller, add a vertical bar, and maybe some rectangular, amber fogs?

sorta like this:

who says dodge trademarked the cross hairs?
Old 6/14/05, 09:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by mustang_sallad@June 14, 2005, 1:20 PM
i think the pony and coral are too big, and the chrome around the lights is too thick relative to the lights.

how bout this:
make the pony and coral smaller, add a vertical bar, and maybe some rectangular, amber fogs?

sorta like this:

who says dodge trademarked the cross hairs?
The new Mustang is standing on the shoulders of giants, that is a great 65!
Old 6/14/05, 09:41 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

ugly
Old 6/14/05, 11:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I think that it's getting almost TOO retro for 2005 now...
Old 6/16/05, 09:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks good.
Keep the Coral and Chrome, loose the lights. It does give a little spice to the plan V6, but I agree that the Fog Lamps should be on a GT and SVT only. There are all kinds of RETRO options as you look back thru all the years of Mustangs that would probably work better.

It has to be another marketing setup to get more people interested.
Old 6/16/05, 10:35 AM

Too busy, too flashy, too retro. Looked good on the '65 Stang but looks awkward and out of place on the '05-'06. Me thinks this was forced on the design department by some plaid suits in marketing trying to scheme up some vacuous marketing ploy to part buyers from their money. Retro to a point is fine, but this crosses that line and ends up more as goofy and garish repro schlock than well thought out and more sophisticated retro reference.

But at least it's an option so the peacock posers can lard up their Stangs with the bling bling and the rest of us can enjoy the Stang's unencumbered basic good looks.
Old 6/16/05, 10:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by rhumb@June 16, 2005, 10:38 AM
Too busy, too flashy, too retro. Looked good on the '65 Stang but looks awkward and out of place on the '05-'06. Me thinks this was forced on the design department by some plaid suits in marketing trying to scheme up some vacuous marketing ploy to part buyers from their money. Retro to a point is fine, but this crosses that line and ends up more as goofy and garish repro schlock than well thought out and more sophisticated retro reference.

But at least it's an option so the peacock posers can lard up their Stangs with the bling bling and the rest of us can enjoy the Stang's unencumbered basic good looks.

rhumb,

could you run that by again, do you or do you not like the pony package?

Old 6/16/05, 11:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hate it! Nuff said~
Old 6/16/05, 12:02 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by TheMustangSource@June 13, 2005, 1:02 PM
What do you think of the Pony grille?

Another option is : I love it but already have an 05 GT that I am happy with. If I were in the market, i would definately buy it.
Old 6/16/05, 12:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that this would look better, NO FOGS.
Old 6/17/05, 02:01 PM
V6 Member

I love the looks,and i will definately consider it,the upgraded suspension and the bullitts on the V6 is what i'm interested in,(will it have GT brakes?),i can't believe so much space is devoted to the grill.
Which is another i'm just in awe of,EVERYBODY LOVES the styling of the GT,but slap some similar foglights and some grill bars on a V6 and suddenly it's the worst thing ever??.......and PUH'LEEZE,i'm sure the first thing every GT owner showed off was their precious foglights..........get a life...........The GT has tires,only the GT should have tires,that shows that we paid more money...blah,blah,blah,blah. Some of you people are nuts.
I shouldn't be surprised though,this IS the internet,anything new on a car is always met with venom and hate. I would love to own the pony package just to irritate those "only a GT gets foglights" people,you people are the worst thing about the internet,you're like the car version of Trekkies.
Old 6/17/05, 04:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't really like it that much but, I don't really hate it either. Just not my style I guess.

I don't know the answer to this question so I'll ask it here. Has a base model Mustang ever came with foglights? This is not meant to be derogatory either. This poll made me curious.
Old 6/18/05, 06:17 PM
V6 Member

What I wanna know....(lol) is does anybody know if this grill will fit a GT?!
Old 6/18/05, 07:23 PM
V6 Member

Can someone answer for me....this new grille.....ONLY on the V6s?? Will the GTs have the same grille as the o5 GT Grille??

I hope so........
Old 6/18/05, 07:51 PM

I don't like it only because it blurs the distinction between the GT and the V6. I've got nothing against the V6 as my last mustang was a V6, but I thought Ford went into the current design with a specific intent for there to be a clear difference between the two. Seems like it was somewhat of a gripe in the past. It seems to me that Ford backed up on that to pump up V6 sales. For me, I wish they would not have used the bullit wheels for the pony package and come up with another style 17" wheel instead. If they'd done that, I'd be happy with the pony package option.
Old 6/18/05, 07:57 PM

Looks better with no fogs.......
Old 6/18/05, 08:43 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by jeff07@June 18, 2005, 7:54 PM
I don't like it only because it blurs the distinction between the GT and the V6. I've got nothing against the V6 as my last mustang was a V6, but I thought Ford went into the current design with a specific intent for there to be a clear difference between the two. Seems like it was somewhat of a gripe in the past. It seems to me that Ford backed up on that to pump up V6 sales. For me, I wish they would not have used the bullit wheels for the pony package and come up with another style 17" wheel instead. If they'd done that, I'd be happy with the pony package option.
Yes, I'm sure most of it has to do with the greater than expected demand for the GT, along with CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) requirements that make it difficult for Ford to sell as many GTs as they would like. Hence a Mustang V6 that's not as emasculated as it might otherwise be. I can't complain, since I plan to buy one.

Now if they just added dual exhaust...

Quick Reply: 2006 Pony Grille