2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

2006 GT Vert Wouldn't Start

Search this Thread

Old 1/15/08 | 09:39 PM
GT Member

2006 GT Vert Wouldn't Start

So I went to leave this morning for work around 8 am. Got into my, turned the key and all I hear is a rapid click, click, click from the starter. My car wouldn't start. I've had the car for just over 2 years with just over 14,000 miles on it. I couldn't beleive this happend. It wasn't that cold ouside. My wife's car outside said it was 30 degrees, so my garage must had at least of been 40 to 45 degrees. So I don't think the cold had to do with it. My battery seemed charged according to the volt meter, but when I turned the key, everything was reset, like when you disconnect the battery. The stereo went back to default settings. I went to work in my wife's car and she called roadside assistance. When they arrived, it took them four tries to jump the car before it started. The tow truck driver said something must be wrong with the starter or battery. I don't think it was just a dead battery. I hadn't left lights or stereo on. The last time I had started it was Saturday to back it out of the garage. It started fine. I made an appointment to take it into the dealership next week. Something like this shouldn't happen to a car this new and with low miles. Has this happened to anyone? Any thoughts?

P.S. You know how they say something will go wrong with a car after you make the last payment on it. My last check goes in the mail this week.
Old 1/15/08 | 10:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Sounds like a classic dead battery. It will be covered under your warranty though, so no worries.
Old 1/16/08 | 01:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

+1 on the dead battery. When they tank you won't be able to start the car very easily. Swap it out, you should be fine.
Old 1/16/08 | 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by mrkabc
+1 on the dead battery.
+2

If you recently disconnected your battery cables, double check them to make sure they're tight. If tight, it's most likely your battery.
Old 1/16/08 | 09:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The new Mustangs have a history of problems with the factory battery.

The dealership will replace it and you'll be on your way. Happened to me too.
Old 1/16/08 | 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ah...click click click...the call of the dead battery. I used to thank my lucky stars that I drove manuals, so at least I could push start it to get the car to a place with a new battery...

Not so sure I want to ever do that with the stang...
Old 1/16/08 | 11:47 AM
GT Member

the battery is 2 years old? i'm sorry but i don't think it's unreasonable for a battery to croak after 2 years especially if it's not driven every single day (and i assume not with half the average miles of a 2 year old car).
Old 1/16/08 | 05:51 PM
GT Member

My wife's car 06 GT Coupe the battery tanked in 14 months with 10k on the odometer, in my 06 GT Vert which I will have had for 2 years in February and has 12K on it has been dead after sitting for a couple weeks at a time...Notoriously bad batteries in the new Stangs.
Old 1/16/08 | 08:07 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by SonicBlue2005GT
the battery is 2 years old? i'm sorry but
i don't think it's unreasonable for a battery to croak after 2 years especially if it's not driven every single day
(and i assume not with half the average miles of a 2 year old car).
In all my years of driving,this statement is not even close to being true. They got bad batteries to begin with
Old 1/17/08 | 09:26 AM
V6 Member

Nope, nothing wrong with the battery I'd bet just a classic case of starting the engine and not driving it and then leaving it sitting for 4 days. My 06 Gt vert 18k miles (See my other post about dead battery) won’t last for more than 4 to 5 days. I'm taking it in again because this time upon charging the batter after coming back from 7 day vacation, the CD player gave me a "CD ERROR" and will not play CD's anymore.

The battery is just not big enough, or said another way does not have enough reserve for some of the options and features. As many have suggested I'm looking seriously at buying a Red top or even a Yellow top Optima battery. It’s just hard to justify spending $150 for something that was designed wrong. A car of this price should be designed better. Reality, it’s a bug of some sort. Some have it some don't. Just hope it’s a battery going bad, and not the bug.
Old 1/17/08 | 10:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I believe this is a combination of less than perfect battery and a car that draws a slightly abnormally high amount of juice while resting. I keep a jump box in my trunk. Not ready to buy a new battery just yet.
Old 1/17/08 | 11:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I had mine go dead on me only once, and twice just barely cranked over. Also when it gets that low it seems to lose the auto up/down memory on the windows.
This was anywhere from 4-6 days of sitting in the garage.

After 2 years I said screw it, tossed an Interstate battery in there for 70 bucks. I can totally tell the car is cranking over faster now in just one day of the new battery.
Old 1/21/08 | 05:51 PM
GT Member

Interesting you say that about the windows. My driver's side window now goes down the 1/2 inch when I open the door, but doesn't go back up on its own when I close it. I started the day the car wouldn't start. I know others have reported on the same issue. She goes in Wednesday to get looked at and have a few other things fixed. We'll see what happens.

Also, does anyone have the passenger side seat make this constant clicking noise. It does it whenever the car is in motion. You can stop it by putting some presure on the seat, but its load and annoying. You can hear it over the radio. I figure its just a loose bolt of some sort. Hopefully they'll find the problem.
Old 1/21/08 | 10:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

The window thing is normal, and there is a section in the owners manual that covers it. The windows lost their calibration with the loss of battery power. The procedure is something like roll down window, hold button for 3 seconds, roll up window, hold for 3 seconds. Check your owners manual before you take it to the dealer over that.
Old 1/22/08 | 07:44 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by jeffgall
Interesting you say that about the windows. My driver's side window now goes down the 1/2 inch when I open the door, but doesn't go back up on its own when I close it. I started the day the car wouldn't start. I know others have reported on the same issue. She goes in Wednesday to get looked at and have a few other things fixed. We'll see what happens.

Also, does anyone have the passenger side seat make this constant clicking noise. It does it whenever the car is in motion. You can stop it by putting some presure on the seat, but its load and annoying. You can hear it over the radio. I figure its just a loose bolt of some sort. Hopefully they'll find the problem.
Yeah I have that. Mine is the head rest. If I put it all the way down,it stops
Old 1/22/08 | 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

I use a battery tender. I figure I'll just keep using that till the stock one craters then I'll buy a optima red top.
Old 1/22/08 | 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by jeffgall

There is a sensor for weight in your passenger seat, when it detects a size of a person that is sitting in the seat that is under weight it turns the passenger side air bag off( Lights uo on your console)
Old 1/22/08 | 10:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

dont expect the dealer to replace the battery for free. i had the same problem and went to the dealership, all i got was "buy a charger". they wouldnt replace the battery even under warranty. the service guy said because the TSB said to put on a charger that was the "warranty" for this problem. just an FYI
Old 1/22/08 | 05:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thats when you need to find a new dealer.
But I didnt even bother, I just replaced it on my own, not sure when I was going to be able to take it in to the dealer, and its been zero degrees around here
Old 1/22/08 | 05:40 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jacostang
There is a sensor for weight in your passenger seat, when it detects a size of a person that is sitting in the seat that is under weight it turns the passenger side air bag off( Lights uo on your console)
Don't think its the sensor. I've isolated the click to a bolt that holds the seat to the track. If you push on it, it makes the same click. I assume that when the car is in motion, the vibrations from the engine make the seat vibrate, causing the click.

Quick Reply: 2006 GT Vert Wouldn't Start