2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

2005 water leak-need help bad

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/15, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 water leak-need help bad

I posted once before about this and received some input, thank you. Problem still not solved. I have an '05 hard top that leaks. I have replaced the wind shield. I have replaced the grommets that hold the cowling in place, with the factory re-engineered pieces. I have removed the rubber drain plugs(below the cowling where the cabin air filter is) that are supposed to drain but get stopped up. The water comes in on both sides at about the same position; just forward of the doors when I put the hose to the windshield. On the drivers side it comes in just forward of what appears to be the fuel pump reset button. I sure could use some suggestions. Thank you.
Old 5/18/15, 02:22 PM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe look at both side windows/doors there can be leaking between the plastic weatherstrip retainer and the roof.

RedGT
Old 5/19/15, 05:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Follow this link to the TSB, there are several places it can leak at.

cdn.lrsstatic.com/downloads/tsb05-14/tsb08-26-07.pdf
Old 5/21/15, 04:36 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
I had to pull the trim off around the door opening and replace the weatherstripping under it...I bet if you sat inside the car and had someone blow around the edges with a air nozzle you would hear the leak coming thru when they hit it...

its also possible the factory just missed a top seam- from what Ive seen, ford is notoriously sloppy with sealer, half the time the bead misses the edges and does nothing... fenders are really easy to remove, no shims req'd - I took my 06 apart when it was brand new and resealed all the missed spots, also by now the base of your fenders could be dammed up with leaves and pine needles, and... kinda hard to clean out without popping out the fenderwells or fender.

if you happen to pull your fenders, I put a couple layers of tape around all edges before taking off to prevent chips/scratches, and before putting back on, trimmed the foam 'baffle' that goes behind the hinges- it presses REALLY hard against the fender- enough both sides of mine had cut clean thru the foam to the hard plastic, and where the "up" cutouts are, they let the **** thing fill with water- when I pulled my fenders off water dripped out of the foam baffle bottoms for about a hour- and car had been in the garage 5 days...planned obsolescence feature- let the plastic rub the fender, let the foam keep it wet...
anyway, I trimmed about 1/2" off the lower perimeter of mine, can now flush out debris by rinsing thru the gap...

I remember needing quite a bit of sealer at the top of the passenger cowl, in a area under the fender you couldnt see... might not have ever filled with water, but if it had, it woulda poured right in... that and the drivers side trunk floor on my 06 musta been sealed by a blind man- they missed the seam completely, just laid beads along side it... ford has NO quality control IMO on the seam sealing process...squirt sealer anywhere/paint/sell... pretty sad.
Old 6/1/15, 02:21 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey there hope you solved your problem. I know exactly where it's coming from if you a need a pic let me know. I had the same issue back in the day on my old mustang.
Old 6/1/15, 06:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
please post/Share that picture Roger