2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

2005 Mustang Convertible Unveiled!

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/05, 07:04 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The pictures are stunning,

But one thing I don't like is the torch convertible has the 18" wheels that won't be available until 2006.
Old 1/5/05, 07:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAN, those 18" fan blades are SWEEET! <== my favorite part about those vert pics.

IUP w/ MyColor...interesting.....

Vert looks good, but I've always favored the fastbacks!!
Wonder how well the vert can handle an add'l 100-150+ hp w/ an after market blower slapped on it?!?

Good stuff Brad!
Old 1/5/05, 07:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Simply stunning....

One of the best executed verts I've ever seen.
Old 1/5/05, 07:26 AM

My thoughts, for what they're worth:

Why doesn't Ford get their **** together and get those fanblade wheels on the street. They look great, for better than the bland machined wheels or the trite and stale Bullitts. I'm crying "false advertising" by including them in these pics.

Folded top stack is a bit high. Not awful high, but so many other manufacturers are making them flush with the rear deck or even cover nicely by a hard cover that it makes it seem that the Mustang engineers failed to go that extra mile to make it appear better finished.

The profile seems a bit bricklike to me without the coupe's rounded greenhouse profile as a counterpoint to the rest of the Stang's rather squarish lines. The convertible, I think, would have really benefitted by having a bit of a hip in the beltline contour, ala the early Mustangs, to give it a more interesting and distinctively Mustang profile. As is, the beltline is just your typical, generic straight sweep back found on just about every car design these days. Not that it's a bad design overall, just not what it could or should have been stylistically I think.

Rear spoiler looks even more like the cheap, cheesy and awkward tack on that it is. These dopey spoilers have become the gold neck chains of the styling world.
Old 1/5/05, 07:31 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't like the fan blades. I wish they offered the upgrade wheels in 18" and they made the Bullitts deeper and bigger.
Old 1/5/05, 07:35 AM
Jay
Mach 1 Member

Whoever designs the spoilers/wings tack ons at Ford should be shown the door. I'm honestly not liking any of the released '05 models yet, and I generally warm up to new designs quickly. The only thing that has caught my eye is the Boss concept. I'm still happy with my decision to get the Z...
Old 1/5/05, 07:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Great pics. Thanks for posting them Brad.

I'm disappointed in Ford for unveiling the car with the 18" wheels if they are not going to be available until MY '06. The accompanying text makes no mention of the availability of the upgraded wheels. The red convertible looks so much better with the 18s than the yellow with the 17" bullitts IMO. I'm eagerly anticipating the day when I will be able to upgrade my GT coupe to the fanblades.
Old 1/5/05, 07:39 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rhumb, I agree, the rear spoiler doesn't appeal to me on the convertible one bit. I would surely take the delete if I could, especially on the ragtop.

Have to :bang: on the 18"s again. Don't show them if they aren't an option
Old 1/5/05, 07:42 AM
GT Member

Awesome !!!!!!!! Thanks Brad for the the pics ! I would like to seen one in Windveil Blue my favourite color.

Geoffrey
Old 1/5/05, 07:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Looks great, now if it only had a hard top.
Old 1/5/05, 07:45 AM

Old 1/5/05, 08:01 AM
Cobra Member

The Car looks really nice. I already have a drop top so I want a hardtop this time. Would be cooler if it had a one touch control from the key fob. I didn’t see anything mentioned so I assume it’s a latch. But I do agree take those fanblades off although they are nice and give me some 18†deepdish Bullitts.
Old 1/5/05, 08:27 AM
ext

Thanks Brad! Look great!

Is it me or does the space where feet might go in the rear seat look even tighter than the fastback? To be even somewhat practical, I need to fit kids 7 & 3 back there.
Old 1/5/05, 08:32 AM

They probably have the front seats moved all the way back. You can fit your kids back there.
Old 1/5/05, 08:49 AM
GT Member

The photos of the 'vert are stunning. I can't wait for the LA Auto Show this week to see the 'vert on display.

Hopefully the features to minimize wind buffeting described in the blurb really work.

B)
Old 1/5/05, 08:51 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well here's my thoughts on the Vert. I think it looks Great, but I still want the Coupe. I do however agree that the Boot Looks Ridiculously Tall, and Over Padded. It looks much better the way the Z Fold Top slopes gently to the deck without the Boot. Look at the Comparison Below.

My only complaint without the boot, would be the gaping holes left in the area Highlighted in Blue below. Maybe the aftermarket will come out with a better Form Fitting Boot, or maybe just a pair of smaller covers that can be installed to cover these holes.

I also thought that it was a good thing to see the FULL IUP on these Press Release Pic's. My Color and All! I am sure FORD will take necessary actions to keep this in production. They will either pay the Guy Off or find a Loophole around his claim. As for the Fan Blades, I like them but Still Prefer the Bullitts on this car.
Old 1/5/05, 08:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

darn them for showing the 18"s when I can't get them!!!

Anyway, I agree with most of the comments thus far. Fanblades look good, although deeper Bullitts might be even better, too bad we can't get either one from the factory.

The spoiler looks like junk, but I think it does on the coupe as well. I also agree that the top sits too high when down, but I suspect that has to do with some structural changes they made to make the chassis stiffer. The vert looks too square, IMO, as someone else mentioned.

Lastly, I don't think these pics are any indicator of what is happening with MyColor or IUP, as they probably took these pics before they were having any issues.
Old 1/5/05, 09:03 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by TheMustangSource@January 5, 2005, 7:34 AM
I don't like the fan blades. I wish they offered the upgrade wheels in 18" and they made the Bullitts deeper and bigger.
I agree with ya about the Bullitts

that is one hot vert
the best vert I have ever seen. it just gos
Old 1/5/05, 09:11 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Shea@January 5, 2005, 3:59 PM

Lastly, I don't think these pics are any indicator of what is happening with MyColor or IUP, as they probably took these pics before they were having any issues.
Well even if these Pic's were taken before the IUP issues came to light, Ford still chose to release them showing the FULL IUP, My Color and all! They could have very easily Photoshoped These Features Out. I have confidence Ford will work this issue out.
Old 1/5/05, 09:26 AM
V6 Member

Yep, the drop top is fantastic! Excellent pricing.
I'm with Brad and the other folks on the Bullitts. They are killer! Love the 60's SCCA Trans Am look. 18's would be cool but drop the ride height slightly and the 17's really work. So funny the sweeter wheel is the standard wheel.

Quick Reply: 2005 Mustang Convertible Unveiled!