2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

07 4.0 V6 squeal

Search this Thread

Old 5/27/15, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2007 ford mustang v6 blue with a tan convertible top on it and 109k miles. I wanted to let you know of a experience I just had with my mustang just got done with it. I had no spark that was caused by the coil pack blew; the coil pack blew because the crank shaft sensor got cut in half shorted out. The reason why it got cut in half was because the harmonic balancer has a damper pulley on it and that made the metal pulley push back off the rubber damper coming off and leaving the belt some how on the rubber dampener and a loud squeak was that i heard yesterday was the belt eatting thought the crankshaft sensor. The reason why I wanted to tell you this is because I never heard of a Damper pulley breaking part of the metal pulley and coming off and the belt resting on the rubber damper.

Total is$357.78 spent in just parts doing it myself . thank god I don't own a front wheel drive car or this would of been worst. Also I looked at the key on the snout and it looked fine not dings dents scratches or anything. The snout looked fine too. Weird thing is there is no TSB for this or recall ever done so it a random thing and the damper rubber said ford on it with the part number so it a factory part.

If you have a noise and take off the belt make sure to check under it and all around the WHOLE area the belt goes to.
Old 5/28/15, 07:00 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
I agree, there probably shoulda been a TSB on these, have heard of too many of these fail...dont think I have EVER heard of a balancer failure on ANY other engine- I'm sure it can happen, but no way with this frequency... seems anymore Ford seems to be mute on quality/durability issues... the blow out 5.4 plugs, the break off 4.6 3V plugs, the aluminum hoods shedding paint at a couple yrs of age, the dampers on the 4.0, and so on...

seems any more the only time you hear of ford fixing known issues is when enough complaints push them to fix their stupid issues- like the panther plastic intakes...if those werent putting cop cars out of comission I doubt they ever woulda officially admitted that either. this aluminum hood crap though- ford guy or not, I'm afraid when they finally get pushed into fixing this absolutely idiotic neglected ****-poor processing issue, it will simply be well earned lawsuits... afraid as much as I generally despise lawyers, Ford will only be getting what they deserve on this... sadly lawyers will get richer, and there will still be a lot of upset owners jumping brands over it.

neglecting/sweeping well known issues under the rug could be not quite the end of ford, but a expensive rude awakening. **** off good customers, its hard to win them back. all the good Mulally did keeping them viable thru the big downturn, all the great new products, in the end dont mean squat when they alienate loyal buyers- by sticking them with known defects and thumbing their noses about it a lile or a day after the 3/36.

if ford had any pride in their stuff, they shoulda issued a 5 yr adhesion warranty years ago, and QUIT 'FIXING' these stupid hoods... every one shoulda been destroyed/replaced- the defects are not 'fixable'. instead we read about guys getting same repairs 2-3 times before warranty finally goes or they get fed up with crap 'fixes'... yes its was a expensive screw up- but it was ford's screw up, not the buyers... without buyers, what will ford do? the cost of their trying to hide their decade old screw ups will be costing them buyers for another 10 yrs at least- and no one to blame but themselves
Old 5/7/24, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine broke yesterday, same issue, although not a clue what to do to fix it

Originally Posted by amustangrocks
ahhh, i`m too late. i was gonna suggest you checking out the crank pulley. mine failed too and its a common problem with the 4.0`s. the new replacement part is made better too. for other users, look at the rubber ring on the frt of the pulley. if it looks tattered at all and not smooth anymore, its going bad and its just a matter of time. next the belt will squeel maybe off and on a little, then getting worse. it can come apart in a short time. i noticed mine and got lucky as to not get stranded out on the road somewhere. heres a pic of the tattered look, apart, and new. you`ll notice they put the rubber over the entire face to keep water away from it. you also need to replace the pulley bolt when you replace the pulley. its about 7.00 at the dealer.
first time this has ever happened to me
Old 5/7/24, 03:58 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
Welcome!

Seems to Be a Popular Subject!

https://www.google.com/search?client...pulley+removal

KC

Aftermarket Pulley

Amazon Amazon

Bolt, Typical Ford Have To Buy a Pack of Four! Unless Your Dealer Stocks it and Will Sell You One!

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts...y-6a340-b.html

Factory Pulley

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts...-6b321-aa.html

Here is a Pack at Single Bolt Price! After Looking At Reviews It Seems Sometimes You Get a Pack if the Shipper Does Not Know Better But is Supposed to Be One! FOMOCO Used To Do That as Well. We Would Order Four Bolts Per Se and Get 4 Packs! Human Error!

Amazon Amazon