2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

07-08 GT vs 04 Mach1

Search this Thread

Old 4/30/07, 09:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07-08 GT vs 04 Mach1

well, I had a guy offer me basiclly what I paid for my Mach (only has 2,000 mile on it) so I think I am going to sell it.
I really like the body style of the 05 and up, so now I am thinking of ordering either an 07 or 08 GT (I am getting tired of waiting for a 350 plus HP SE that I can afford).

I've sat in, but never driven a 05 plus. For those that have had both, what I am going to like and dislike about a new GT compared to the Mach? Will I be happy with the GT, or should I continue to hold out for a SE? I plan on getting a tune and run premium gas, so I think the HP/torgue between the Mach and GT should be about equal, but I know numbers do not always tell the whole story.
thanks for any input!
mitch
Old 4/30/07, 09:47 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by mjbarnet
well, I had a guy offer me basiclly what I paid for my Mach (only has 2,000 mile on it) so I think I am going to sell it.
I really like the body style of the 05 and up, so now I am thinking of ordering either an 07 or 08 GT (I am getting tired of waiting for a 350 plus HP SE that I can afford).

I've sat in, but never driven a 05 plus. For those that have had both, what I am going to like and dislike about a new GT compared to the Mach? Will I be happy with the GT, or should I continue to hold out for a SE? I plan on getting a tune and run premium gas, so I think the HP/torgue between the Mach and GT should be about equal, but I know numbers do not always tell the whole story.
thanks for any input!
mitch
I kept my 2000 V6 (with many mods...lowered, a few bolt ons, bullitt seats, cobra wheels, etc) for about a year after I bought my 05 GT. I can say that the S197 is MUCH more comfortable over the road, and doesn't beat you up when driving. The downside to this is that it isn't as "sporty feeling".

Also and it may be because I went from a v6 to a v8: but I can tell you that the S197 seems to drive you, vs. my 2000 which I could control a lot more (it felt like I was driving the car, not it driving me).

What's nice is that they were really two totally different cars. You could drive one, then go to another and have a different experience. I can't say I like one more than the other...they're just different.

But, I'm very happy with the S197. I'd say go and test drive one. I think you'll find that the S197 is a HUGE improvement over the SN95.

Hope this helps...
Old 4/30/07, 10:26 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You would be starting with a better foundation as the S197 is vastly improved over the SN95 frame/underpinnings

get the S197 and personalize it how you want
Old 4/30/07, 10:27 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You'll miss the exhaust sound, a bit, as 4v's sound different than 3v's, but that's about it.
Old 4/30/07, 10:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

I love my '05, but one of the most noticeable differences from my '95 GT is the size... On paper, 6 inches longer and 1 inch wider doesn't sound like much, but my driving experience is that the S197 is a much bigger car than the S95. Two years later and I still occasionally misjudge how far I am from the curb when parking (I'm often too far away because I'm worried about scratching the Bullitts).

It reminds me of the old muscle car days, when I had a '71 Olds 4-4-2 - the S197 is probably not quite as big as that car, but it doesn't seem that much smaller either.
Old 4/30/07, 11:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had 3 SN-95's. As for speed the modern GT and the Mach are about even in a straight line, but the older car feels much faster because the chassis moved around so much durring shifts. As for ergonomics and chassis dynamics there is no comparison. The old car was a torture chamber, clutch too high, shifter too far away, seats flexed badly, and the steering wheel was way too close. Not to mention a wheelbase 2" shorter then a Focus and bad f/r distribution, poor unit-body strength, etc.

IMO, the Mach 1, 01 Cobra, and Bullitt are the best of the bunch for the platform. The 03/04 cobras were just too powerful for the chassis and very heavy for the wheelbase and weight distribution. You really notice how bad it all was once you jump back into one after driving an S-197 for a bit. A V6 05 convertible has a much stiffer unibody then any older coupe with full weld-in subbies and strut brace.
Old 4/30/07, 11:20 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the 05+ are really great cars. IF i were you i'd keep the mach...those will be much more saute after then the 100's of thousands regular GT mustang of 05-08.
Old 4/30/07, 11:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'd keep it if it were a 2nd or 3rd mustang, not the one I actually have to drive around in...I don't buy cars to wait 30 years for it to become 'valuable'. How would you feel if you are still the original owner of a 1977 mustang you never drove because the new ones were all over the place... Thats money well spent!
Old 4/30/07, 11:29 AM
GT Member

Mach 1's are nice, but like stated the s197 is such a better platform to work on. If your able to sell it and hold out for the '08 Bullit that might get built then I would. If not and you want to get back in the saddle, order the car you want and make sure it's right. Then do the mods you want to it.
Old 4/30/07, 11:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

+1 on missing the exhaust sound. I love the sound of my Steeda axle-backs, but whenever I run into a Mach 1 on the road, I'm pretty envious of their exhaust. The 4V's just sound like pure sex with a good exhaust!!
Old 4/30/07, 11:35 AM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by mjbarnet

thanks for any input!
mitch

You're going to hate the throttle and clutch. Even tuned, it isn't remotely as good as a cable throttle. The clutch is also soft and spongy compared to a cable clutch.
Old 4/30/07, 11:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

I like the new stuff much better then the old. I drive the SN-95's all the time, including a Mach about a month ago, don't miss any of it I don't hate them, but I've more then paid my dues with Ford so I don't mind *****in about them one bit. I came out of a highly modded 01 GT after a bad ticket and drove an 06 V6 for a bit(along with a SVTF and an C230 over the past 3 years), didn't miss the 01 at all.
Old 4/30/07, 02:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
I like the new stuff much better then the old. I drive the SN-95's all the time, including a Mach about a month ago, don't miss any of it I don't hate them, but I've more then paid my dues with Ford so I don't mind *****in about them one bit. I came out of a highly modded 01 GT after a bad ticket and drove an 06 V6 for a bit(along with a SVTF and an C230 over the past 3 years), didn't miss the 01 at all.

Thanks for all the input. Don't get my wrong, I loved the Mach, but I felt like I didn't get to fully enjoy it because I didn't do a single mod (wanted to keep it stock), and I rarely took it out because I was afraid to drive it and put miles on it. If I get a 07-08 GT, it will be my daily driver during the spring through fall. Guess I just didn't enjoy being a collector as much as I though I would.
Old 4/30/07, 03:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The biggest difference's I have found is: #1 The Clutch. my 07 is much softer. #2 exhaust (mentioned already) but that is fixable. #3 the seat's. although the head room is better in the 07, my Mach1 seat was the best so far...stock.

Now the pluss's: With my Mach1, all you could really do was invest in MGW, for interior dressup. Plus the HoneyComb rear panel. Other than that, you'd be hurting her. A Mach, is a Mach, is a Mach. With the 07. Hey the sky or your your checkbook is the limit. It was made to be enhanced or personalized however you look at it.

Sooooooo, Just do it!! You'll be glad you did. Besides, aren't you getting tired of just polishing it anyway. Now you will be able to Mod away. and say you did it yourself too. Let the fun begin............
Old 4/30/07, 05:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

After you get used to the clutch(took me about 10 minutes) its a piece o cake, and easy to deal with in traffic.
Old 4/30/07, 05:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mitch, the new car is DEFINITELY more comfortable than the old one. Plus, if you do order a new Mustang, you can make it look like a Mach1 with a few mods, and it would look GOOD! BTW, what color is your Mach?
Old 4/30/07, 06:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I had an '04 Azure Blue Mach with an auto trans. I drove it stock for about 1000 miles before adding a tune, cai, 4.10s, and mufflers. I really, really enjoyed that car from the looks and performance standpoint. However, I could NEVER get comfortable driving it- I was always cramped, my left leg would get numb after about 2-3 hours, etc. I'm 5'10" right at 200lbs. To me, the seats looked and felt great but the overall seating position was terrible. This was a big reason why I got rid of it.

Another reason was because I wanted a car that I could truly personalize without worrying about the value. The S197 GTs hit the market with so much support behind them that it was very easy to make some immediate mods to "make the car my own".

Overall, the only thing that I miss about the Mach was sitting behind that factory shaker- which ofcourse now I sit behind the CDC shaker, so that's a wash.

Ask this question on a Mach 1 forum and you'll be laughed at, you'll be asked "why trade down", "why go slower", or my favorite, "those new cars are UGLY and they're not a SE".

My best advise is to do what you want, do what makes you happy- don't listen to any of us or them.
Old 4/30/07, 07:13 PM
Bullitt Member

The ride, seating position, build quality, and looks of the S197 are leaps and bounds better than the old car. I've had both and the new one is much better. Plus it's roomier and despite what others have said, I don't mind the clutch or the electronic throttle. One other goodie - the traction control on the new model is a lot less intrusive. I was constantly switching it off on the old car; the new model will let you have a little fun without disengaging it.

That said, the Mach is a limited production model that'll probably hold it's value better, especially if you continue to keep the mileage down.
Old 4/30/07, 09:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Mitch, the new car is DEFINITELY more comfortable than the old one. Plus, if you do order a new Mustang, you can make it look like a Mach1 with a few mods, and it would look GOOD! BTW, what color is your Mach?
Mach is a 2004 Azure Blue.
I'm only 5'11 and about 160lbs, but I kept hitting my knees in the Mach. Plus I never felt comfortable after driving it for more than 15-20miles, which was great for keeping the miles down I guess
Old 4/30/07, 11:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
You'll miss the exhaust sound, a bit, as 4v's sound different than 3v's, but that's about it.
2nd, Also I raced a Mach 1 that was not stock in my bone stock 07 GT, before Flowmasters. We were side by side traveling at speeds about 10mph, when he stepped on it and pulled out about 3/4 of a car length. I punched it and slammed 2nd (insert tire chirp) He also floored it by this time as at the top of 2nd and nearly dead even with him with both of us at WOT, remember he started of ahead of me. Now I slam into 3rd not a perfect shift on part and pulled ahead leaving him about 1/4 to almost 1/2 a car length behind, never hit 4th but I sure if I did it would have been more than over. Now this is a bone stock 5speed GT with a 3:31's in the rear.

Long story short go with the S197

Quick Reply: 07-08 GT vs 04 Mach1