2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Mustang mileage at pickup

Search this Thread

Old 10/7/04, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just moved over from Stangnet, cause they stink, so this is my first post here. I ordered an 05 Mustang GT, it is getting built 27 Sept, but I am not taking delivery until January because I am in Iraq.

My question is how many miles should the car have when I pick it up? The last car I ordered had 7 miles on the odo when I picked it up at the dealer after ordering it. I have heard of people have 25 or more, which is absurd to me. If one of the Ford dealers on here could answer this for me it would be great.

I realize the dealer should drive the car when they do their receiving checklist, but I have heard of guys taking the car home or driving the car for a weekend or even letting people test drive it. I would lose my mind if I found that out, as I am sure most people on here would.

So what is the dealer standard for a checkout ride on a car that is ordered fro someone?

Thanks
Old 10/7/04, 02:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my wife's 2000 krapia had 12 miles on it when she got it. I was told by my dealer in writing no less, that if they go over 10 miles they will document the mileage and won't allow test-drives or anything like that. I'm expecting 5-6 miles on mine.
Old 10/7/04, 02:51 AM
GT Member

Check this thread for answers. B)

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=6095
Old 10/7/04, 03:14 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Welcome Deuce4 I also expect to have less than 10 miles when I take possesion.
Old 10/7/04, 06:25 AM

When I bought my 2001 Cavileir it 3 miles on it before I test drove it then purchased it
Old 10/7/04, 06:51 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Deuce4@October 7, 2004, 1:55 AM
I just moved over from Stangnet, cause they stink, so this is my first post here. I ordered an 05 Mustang GT, it is getting built 27 Sept, but I am not taking delivery until January because I am in Iraq.

My question is how many miles should the car have when I pick it up? The last car I ordered had 7 miles on the odo when I picked it up at the dealer after ordering it. I have heard of people have 25 or more, which is absurd to me. If one of the Ford dealers on here could answer this for me it would be great.

I realize the dealer should drive the car when they do their receiving checklist, but I have heard of guys taking the car home or driving the car for a weekend or even letting people test drive it. I would lose my mind if I found that out, as I am sure most people on here would.

So what is the dealer standard for a checkout ride on a car that is ordered fro someone?

Thanks
Hello Deuce4, welcome to the site!

This is the note I just sent to my salesman:

"Hi David,

Any new news on the arrival of the Mustang? My wife is driving me nuts about this car! Also, I have a couple of concerns. I just wanted to mention if I could please request that after my vechicle gets to the lot that I put the first (test/actual driving) miles on it. I am also a little concerned about the steps taken at the dealership to prepare the car for delivery. Depending on the technique for washing and drying the car it is possible to put surface scratches on the paint. This happened to my F-150 that I bought from a different dealer. On black paint every little scratch shows up. Any help in these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe"
Old 10/7/04, 06:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

I too would be VERY upset if there are more than 10 miles on it. I'd rather see 5-6. The dealership stated that no one would test-drive it, that it wouldn't be on display either.
Old 10/7/04, 08:45 AM
Bullitt Member

When I bought my 99 GT in sept 1999, it had been sitting on the lot for about 2 months and had 36 miles on it. And they had put dealer plates on the front(grrrr) so with that, I plan on getting a Cobra(or the equivalent) around 08-09' I am going to tell the dealer to not even "prep" my Cobra. I want it with stickers and all still attached. Not even a wash job. Then I can take it home to the shop and do it myself.
-Jason
Old 10/7/04, 10:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Back when I bought my 1987, in California, the Mustang GTs were being hand smogged, on a one off basis, for quite a while. My car had a special sticker in the glove box indicating that it was delivered to the dealer with 47 miles on it (that's a lot of dyno work!).

That is a very rare and unusual circumstance.
Old 10/7/04, 10:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

There better not be more than ten miles on my car when it comes in. But if it does have more, what am I really gonna do? Say, um, I don't want this one. I'll wait another two plus months. I think not. B)
Old 10/7/04, 11:06 AM
dke
Bullitt Member

This is interesting to me. I think the one brand new car I've ever bought had 38 or so. (Test drives and all that). Didn't bug me at all. I'm also not possessive -- I'll toss my keys to most people that want to drive the car. (I trust that people won't blow the engine, or do stupid things. Maybe too trusting, as I did have a girl crash my Celica and it took months to get her to pay for it).
Old 10/7/04, 12:10 PM
GT Member

I just asked my dealer about this.... He said...

One mile will go on the car from the assembly line and approximately five miles will be from Ford testing the vehicle on rollers after the assembly process. One mile might also come from putting the car on and taking it off the truck. He said that there should be no more than 7 miles on the car at time of pickup.

He also said...

Sometimes there might be about 17 miles total on it, because Ford Plant engineers drove the car 10 or so miles extra on it as part of a sampling test. There will be a sticker on the car indicating such test was performed though.

If it doesn't have that sticker on it and it has more than 7 miles on it, don't accept the car, unless you saw the mileage at the time the car was unloaded off the truck. This is the only way you are going to know that the dealership didn't put those miles on it.

Stay safe in Iraq!!! I hope that the Mohave Desert (Edwards AFB) is the only desert I ever see.
Old 10/7/04, 12:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by afcop13@October 7, 2004, 7:57 AM
I too would be VERY upset if there are more than 10 miles on it. I'd rather see 5-6. The dealership stated that no one would test-drive it, that it wouldn't be on display either.
Yea but FORD may quality check it and could have 30 miles on it. There is no rule, I will see from 4-20+ on any model, I would expect a few miles on new releases. Believe me, on special order cars, the salesperson guards them like a hawk from anyone else.
Old 10/7/04, 12:20 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by kevinb120+October 7, 2004, 12:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kevinb120 @ October 7, 2004, 12:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-afcop13@October 7, 2004, 7:57 AM
Yea but FORD may quality check it and could have 30 miles on it. There is no rule, I will see from 4-20+ on any model, I would expect a few miles on new releases. [/b][/quote]
Yes, Ford does randomly test cars off the assembly line, and it will be noted on the window sticker. I saw a few of those when moving cars around at our plant, just after the new model year. I can't see Ford doing it any different at other plants. The sticker does say there could be up to 30 miles on the car. So we used those for "taxis" when moving cars around. I never thought to check any other cars to see what normal milage after the rolls test would be. Maybe I'll ask someone at work on tuesday.....
Old 10/7/04, 12:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

My 2002 Mustang rolled off the truck somewhere between 2&7am & I picked it up after school at around 2:30 & when I first sit in it it only hade 4.6 miles on it. The only thing ever wrong was the check engine light sensor had to be reset.

The 03 I have had been sitting on a lot for like 6 months with 22 miles on it & it turned out to be a total lemon. So, unlike some of you who would just take it anyway. If my car has more than 5-10 miles on it I WILL refuse to take it & WILL make them order me another. And since it's a Ford buyback replacement I will jsut call Detorit myself & explain why.

BTW dke
My friends dad let someone drive his truck from our church just up the road like 2 miles & they wrecked it by running over a mailbox & into a ditch. So, I would be very careful who I let drive my vehicle. I barely trust my mother to drive mine.
Old 10/7/04, 12:52 PM

Not sure how all of this works but mine had 11.4 on it when I picked it up.
Old 10/8/04, 08:40 AM

Its not just the miles. When people who do not own the car get in and out of it, you have to watch out for dings, scratchs, pen marks, cigarette burns, etc.

I dont car about a friend of mine doing it, but it would make me pretty made to pay for a new car and before i get it, for it to be treated like junk. Id lose my mind.

I think I wil call the dealer and emphasize this to him. I am hoping I will be there within 3-7 days of delivery, but I am trying to time delivery with coming back from Iraq, so anything can happen.
Old 10/8/04, 09:44 AM

My Ford dealer told me that it may take 1 to 2 days for me to be able to get it after it arrives. They said it goes into the detail shop for inspection and then the tech drives it to make sure it is OK before they accept it. I think that is B.S.

It would be nice to not have a bunch of people driving it since it is a brand new car.