Sorry guys its 3 main colours...
RGB
and 5 levels on each.

5x5x5
125 different combo's
Old 7/6/04, 10:37 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dang, the minute i go to edit with this, boomer beats me...

"

125 Ways to Show "Fast"

Mustang’s speedometer has always said "fast."

Now, you get to pick the color, from red to blue to green or anything in between. The 2005 Ford Mustang has an available industry-first, color-configurable instrument cluster that can be backlit in any of 125 colors at the touch of a button.

The color-configurable gauges and read-outs behind the steering wheel address a growing trend of vehicle personalization. Mustang’s customizable instruments are part of a well-crafted and bold interior design that uses modern, quality materials to evoke memories of the legendary early model cars.

The color-configurable Mustang instrument cluster is lit by three light-emitting diodes: red, green and blue. Since LEDs cannot be dimmed like conventional bulbs, the intensity of the three colors is controlled by pulse width modulation, which turns the LEDs on and off at rapid rates undetectable by the human eye. The intensity of the light is determined by the ratio between the LED’s "off" and "on" functions.

The light output of the LEDs is guided into innovative acrylic light pipes on the sides of the gauges where the colors are "mixed" to create six pre-defined colors: green, blue, purple, white, orange and red. Customers can further "blend" the primary colors to create 125 more personalized backgrounds.

"During Mustang research clinics, we noticed that many of our customers already were customizing their interiors with different instrument panel features," said Dean Nowicki, Ford Mustang electrical engineering team leader. "The concept display was intended to offer choices, and we just decided we wanted all of the colors.""
Old 7/6/04, 11:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

B)

i can't wait to see it in person.
Old 7/13/04, 10:53 PM
Bullitt Member

This might seem like a really dumb question but i've just got to ask. What will the difference be between the regular instrument panel and the one equipped with the MyColor Choice,i know the difference but will the regular one be able to change to any other color or will it stay the same color and not be able to be changed. Also does anyone know or think that the MyColor will be avalible to get installed after the car has been purchased with the regular Panel. Any answers would be greatly appriciated, and guys please just humor me if these sound like dumb questions.
Old 7/13/04, 11:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Im sure that you could have it put in, at about 4 times the cost of it as an option. Nothing is cheaper then the factory options at the time of purchase.
Old 7/13/04, 11:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@July 13, 2004, 11:06 PM
Im sure that you could have it put in, at about 4 times the cost of it as an option. Nothing is cheaper then the factory options at the time of purchase.
Definatly good to know thanks Kevin! does anyone know about the diffrence in the Regular instrument panel and the MyColor one.
Read my last post for more detailed question
Old 7/14/04, 01:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Of course the 'regular' instrument panel will only have one color...

With the IUP, you get:

- MyColor
- Four instead of two gauges between speedometer and rev meter
- Message Center (that computer that tells you about mileage, fuel usage etc)
Old 7/14/04, 11:12 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Wombert@July 14, 2004, 1:15 AM
Wow, no voltmeter or oil press without IUP? Then it's gotta be IUP for me.
Old 7/14/04, 06:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by GMconvert+July 14, 2004, 10:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GMconvert @ July 14, 2004, 10:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Wombert@July 14, 2004, 1:15 AM
Wow, no voltmeter or oil press without IUP? Then it's gotta be IUP for me. [/b][/quote]
I have a voltmeter and car's have dipsticks. I'd get 1up for the red leather and alumminum trim.
Old 7/15/04, 03:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

And still, no one knows if they're electroluminescent LED gauges...
Old 7/15/04, 06:07 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Robert@July 15, 2004, 3:35 AM
there is no such thing as an EL LED Display...here is why

Electroluminescent refers to using two plates of glass sandwiching phosphor gases. you can then apply voltage to a section to create light. there are many different applications(most common being plasma displays and LCDs...those have each pixel as a different section and each section can be lit accordingly.

LED (Light emitting diode) creates light by applying a voltage accross a semiconductor and then the movement of electrons creates light.

so the moral of the story is that EL uses electrons through gas to create light and LED uses electrons through a semiconductor.

The MyColor display will use the 3 LEDs all together and fiberoptics to mix the colors.

edit:
just for further clarification...cars CAN have EL displays, but they cant change colors because that would require a change in gas type. Red, Green, and Blue come from different mixes of Argon, Neon, and Xenon.
Old 7/15/04, 07:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by theguy10+July 15, 2004, 6:10 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (theguy10 @ July 15, 2004, 6:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Robert@July 15, 2004, 3:35 AM

Electroluminescent refers to using two plates of glass sandwiching phosphor gases. you can then apply voltage to a section to create light. there are many different applications(most common being plasma displays and LCDs...those have each pixel as a different section and each section can be lit accordingly.

LED (Light emitting diode) creates light by applying a voltage accross a semiconductor and then the movement of electrons creates light.

so the moral of the story is that EL uses electrons through gas to create light and LED uses electrons through a semiconductor.

The MyColor display will use the 3 LEDs all together and fiberoptics to mix the colors. [/b][/quote]
you can't argue w/ the power of physics.

thanks for the great explination. can't wait to see the MyColor in action.
Old 7/15/04, 09:39 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by ManEHawke@July 14, 2004, 6:18 PM
I have a voltmeter and car's have dipsticks. I'd get 1up for the red leather and alumminum trim.
True true, but I'm just one of those types who likes information overload on his instrument panel. Always like to know what's going on under the hood.

But the real seller of the IUP feature for me is the aluminum trim. So nice! I couldn't order the car without it.
Old 7/16/04, 04:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by theguy10+July 15, 2004, 6:10 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (theguy10 @ July 15, 2004, 6:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Robert@July 15, 2004, 3:35 AM

The MyColor display will use the 3 LEDs all together and fiberoptics to mix the colors.

edit:
just for further clarification...cars CAN have EL displays, but they cant change colors because that would require a change in gas type. Red, Green, and Blue come from different mixes of Argon, Neon, and Xenon.
[/b][/quote]
Actually, I forgot the word "or," as in electroluminescent "or" LED gauges. But thank you anyway! A good answer to my question. So these will be like LED gauges advertised in other cars, I presume? I guess the gauges illuminate during the daytime (not just when the headlights are turned on), so I'm guessing they would have to be pretty darned bright to see on a sunny day.

But will they be as intense as the gauges in this attached pic (which are LED):