2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

05 mustang bucking

Search this Thread

Old 7/17/22, 11:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
05 mustang bucking

I need help I can't go to a mechanic anymore bought this car two months ago got screwed just replaced the transmission put a new clutch in it's the V6 5 speed and the bucking is so bad I can't drive it yesturday I replaced the fuel filter and the master air flow sensor it drove nice and smooth for about thirty minutes then the bucking came back today I did the spark plugs and wires and got about ten minutes of driving in until the bucking came back im running out of money and just want to enjoy the car
Old 7/17/22, 02:09 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,199 Posts
Well Let's get the ball rolling as I see your not getting any help yet.

Have you set a Check Engine Light? If so a code would be helpful.

Please Be descriptive on how the Bucking starts to happen and if changing driving style helps or Hurts.

Also did the problem happen right after clutch replacement?

Does it Backfire?

Do the Gauges Jump when the symptoms occur?

KC
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (7/17/22)
Old 7/17/22, 03:23 PM

There is no lights on dash the shop themselves couldn't figure it out the rpms jump up and down and it was doing it before the clutch that's why the shop got me for the new clutch the bucking is so bad I can't even drive the car its in almost every gear the lower gears bucks at a low rpm and the higher gears around 2-3k right now it seems to only buck after the cars temp has warmed up
Old 7/17/22, 03:24 PM

The driving style doesn't change it much at all and it does not back fire either
Old 7/17/22, 03:53 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Have you ever checked the throttle body and MAF sensor? If there's any dirt accumulation on them, this can also cause idling issues as well, and yet not throw a CEL.. I would check them both, and if necessary clean them up with CRC throttle body and CRC/MAF cleaner.. If the issue persists? You want to consider having your coil boots looked over
Old 7/17/22, 04:09 PM
The Analog Admin!

Just for Giggles Try Disconnecting the Battery for a Half Hour and then reconnecting Negative Side. Also if the car has been run today do not try restart until tomorrow A.M. so it's dead cold. If this is the case you could leave disconnected overnight as well. If it has not been run today than go ahead & restart. Try to drive & note if ANYTHING different occurs? Need to see if better or worse. If it starts having issues earlier or Later Etc. What have you got lose! Bear with me. Also if you can take some Nice Pics of the engine. From Each Side and Center of Bumper. Need to be Good!

KC

m05fastbackGT (7/17/22)
Old 7/17/22, 04:32 PM
The Analog Admin!

So Let Me Understand Correctly. A Shop Told you the Bucking Required the New Clutch to fix and then when it did not they could not figure it out and left you hanging?

I already called my Friend a FORD TECH I used to work with at the Local Ford Dealer and is also a Mustang Enthusiast and am waiting for a call back. One advantage when at the dealer is cars tend to do the same things as far as failures on a particular model and he may have run into this already. He may also give us a few more things to consider.

Btw how many miles on it and how long from when you got the car did the issue start?

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/17/22 at 04:47 PM.
m05fastbackGT (7/17/22)
Old 7/17/22, 04:49 PM

This was my reason for suggesting the OP have the coil boots looked at along with checking the throttle body and MAF sensor for possible dirt accumulation.. Being as the Mustang is now a 17 year old model, I'm assuming it has well over 100k miles
Old 7/17/22, 05:05 PM
The Analog Admin!

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
This was my reason for suggesting the OP have the coil boots looked at along with checking the throttle body and MAF sensor for possible dirt accumulation.. Being as the Mustang is now a 17 year old model, I'm assuming it has well over 100k miles
He said he replaced Master Air Flow Sensor. I'm sure he means Mass Air Flow Sensor. I agree cleaning the Throttle Body is a Good Idea. Also I would Consider the Coils and or Boots as you do as well. I'm wanting to see pics to get a general Idea of how well the car has been Maintained. Gotta Fish to Catch the Culprit. More Info the Better! As Far as Mileage it could be Anything at this point!

I LOVE A MYSTERY! except when it's my Car I'm Trying to Fix! Went Round & Round on Late Father in Laws 95 V-10 Dodge. It had OBD 1 which good luck getting a code reader for one of those anymore and if you did still good luck. After a ton of detective work it was traced down to Made in China POS Cam Sensor that had wiring so thin it broke internally and you could not see the break! Finally Fixed it though! With OEM Part.

K
m05fastbackGT (7/17/22)
Old 7/17/22, 05:57 PM

I'm not getting these notifications I need to find a better way to get on here I can get pictures tomorrow and I got screwed with this car apparently it was totalled and repaired yes I meant mass air flow sensor I can get pictures tomorrow after work car is old 150 on engine and 100 on transmission I have noticed it is only happening after the car temp warms up now and I am going to call the shop tomorrow as well they have been closed all weekend and we're closed when I picked it back up I appreciate all your help I will try these steps as soon as I can I'm low on money now from everything else I just did.
Old 7/17/22, 05:58 PM

My other question is is their any way a mechanic can mess with the system so it won't throw out any lights the guy that sold it to me claimed to be a mechanic and I feel like he is hiding a lot more from me he blocked any way I could reach him
Old 7/17/22, 06:04 PM

Old 7/17/22, 06:29 PM
The Analog Admin!

Originally Posted by Derkvill
My other question is is their any way a mechanic can mess with the system so it won't throw out any lights the guy that sold it to me claimed to be a mechanic and I feel like he is hiding a lot more from me he blocked any way I could reach him
When you Turn your Key on Not starting the Car the WRENCH or Check Engine Light Should Illuminate Briefly that indicates it is operational. You can Easily Have Issues with out Throwing a Check Engine Light. The Battery Reset will clear any codes if it had them but that is not why I am having you do that. The PCM will go to a Relearn and it is just something I like to try. You can get an inexpensive Code Reader which would be a great tool for you. I have this very Tool and it helped me Diagnose my02 Harley F-150 Supercharged that One of My Ford Techs Could not Fix! It's only $25.00 It does more than just read codes! You Can Test a lot of Stuff with out having to get out a test Meter! Check it Out!

Amazon Amazon

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/17/22 at 06:33 PM.
m05fastbackGT (7/17/22)
Old 7/17/22, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
He said he replaced Master Air Flow Sensor. I'm sure he means Mass Air Flow Sensor. I agree cleaning the Throttle Body is a Good Idea. Also I would Consider the Coils and or Boots as you do as well. I'm wanting to see pics to get a general Idea of how well the car has been Maintained. Gotta Fish to Catch the Culprit. More Info the Better! As Far as Mileage it could be Anything at this point!

I LOVE A MYSTERY! except when it's my Car I'm Trying to Fix! Went Round & Round on Late Father in Laws 95 V-10 Dodge. It had OBD 1 which good luck getting a code reader for one of those anymore and if you did still good luck. After a ton of detective work it was traced down to Made in China POS Cam Sensor that had wiring so thin it broke internally and you could not see the break! Finally Fixed it though! With OEM Part.

K
Couldn't had said it any better myself..: Also welcome back KC, as your expertise here on TMS was most definitely very missed, to say the very least
Old 7/17/22, 06:40 PM
The Analog Admin!

Thanks For the Pics!

Looks Like you got new Plug Wires as Well. Likely the Guy Had Issues with it and Cut & Run. No Telling what is Going on with a Wrecked Car. Looks Like Engine has Been Pressure Washed Recently as 150K it would be pretty messy. Anyhoo I understand Money is tight But Really Recommend that Scanner. Since I have used that Particular One I know it Does a Good Job. The Only Issue is sometimes the Buttons don't Respond at Lightning Speed! But the Important thing it will test your Sensors and show if the Computer is Having to Compensate the Fuel Trim indicating a Fuel Problem or Vacuum Leak. Anyhoo it is up to you.

KC
Old 7/17/22, 06:53 PM
The Analog Admin!

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Couldn't had said it any better myself..: Also welcome back KC, as your expertise here on TMS was most definitely very missed, to say the very least
Thank You! Thank You Very Much!
Been Busy Taking Care of Business! And Cilla Too!

KC

Old 7/17/22, 06:57 PM
The Analog Admin!

Derkvill
To Get Notifications CLICK ON THREAD TOOLS on First Post! If you are not subscribed CLICK SUBSCRIBE and then Choose notifications. If Already subscribed Unsubscibe and Resubscribe to choose notifications.

KC
Old 7/17/22, 07:06 PM

Yeah I actually just replaced the spark plugs and wires today I'm trying to cut things out one at a time and I finally got the car report they totalled it 2 months after they bought it they fixed the frame and **** car ran fine for me for a little bit then this started happening underneath the car is in good shape and I'm so deep into repairs I want to make.it last
Old 7/17/22, 07:09 PM

Old 7/17/22, 07:12 PM

I tried clicking on that Amazon thing for the scanner and it would not let me open up anything it's definitely something I want to grab

Quick Reply: 05 mustang bucking