2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

05/06' to 07' Changes -- Improvements noticed ?

Search this Thread

Old 8/5/06, 01:50 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05/06' to 07' Changes -- Improvements noticed ?

Other than the obvious new color availability, and the new GT/CS, what changes have people who had an 05/06 noticed when they got into their new 2007 and drove it ?? For example, does the shifter work smoother? Is there a clunking in the front end over rough surfaces, which my 06' GT had? Any difference in exhaust sound? What works better? What was not changed which you wish was changed for 2007?

What I'm looking for are changes which are subtle and which Ford just incorporated as running changes since this is now the 3rd model year and they've of course learned much more since the 05' came out.

Lets hear from people who are now driving 2007 models, and who were previously driving either a 2005 or 2006 model and can speak to the changes they notice.

thanks,
Dbl E GT
Old 8/5/06, 04:46 PM
GT Member

Or how about filling with gas? I thought I've read that some 06 models had trouble filling with gas also.
Old 8/5/06, 06:33 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I can give you one example of a subtle change that I noticed Ford has made with the '07's interior: the HVAC controls. While they look the same, the A/C and heated seat buttons have a more positve, "quality" feel to them when pushed. Perhaps more significantly, the temperature dial no longer just swivels around like it's loose - it now has perceptable "click stop" increments.

Both of the above - while minor tactile issues - give the interior switch gear a higher quality feel.
Old 8/5/06, 06:57 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Well, I can give you one example of a subtle change that I noticed Ford has made with the '07's interior: the HVAC controls. While they look the same, the A/C and heated seat buttons have a more positve, "quality" feel to them when pushed. Perhaps more significantly, the temperature dial no longer just swivels around like it's loose - it now has perceptable "click stop" increments.

Both of the above - while minor tactile issues - give the interior switch gear a higher quality feel.
BC_Shelby-
Great observation... thank you. Thats good to hear that Ford is paying attention to the little things and is "sweating the details".

Dbl E GT
Old 8/5/06, 06:57 PM
V6 Member

My 06 feels the same way. Perhaps Ford made that change just prior to the 07's, same for throttle response being better that I have read about the 07, my 06 has the same throttle response.

My 06 was built 6/15/06 so it was one of the last of the 06's and thus the possible reason, other then interior changes to the 07's, the mine is like an 07.
Old 8/5/06, 07:12 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sounds like that may have been an 06 job2 change... carried over to 07
And 06 being the shorter run than 05...because of the early start for 07s...
Old 8/5/06, 09:18 PM
Bullitt Member

The over axle exhaust pipes are a true mandrel bend now, no more crimped area like before. Also, not that it is an improvement, but the strut towers are different, and strut tower braces that worked on the 05-06 may not work on the 07. I have tried the Granatelli Single STB, and the Strange Development STB, and the Granatelli would not clear the Ford Engine Cover (it did on the 06-06), and the Strange would not even fit over the studs. It looks like the strut towers are shorter and have a slightly different angle on top. Also, the tuning required of 07's is different as some of us are finding out.
Old 8/5/06, 09:43 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Dbl E GT
BC_Shelby-
Great observation... thank you. Thats good to hear that Ford is paying attention to the little things and is "sweating the details".

Dbl E GT
You're welcome.

These are minor adjustments. All but the keenest (most ****?) observers might never notice unless it was pointed out to them.

But I am glad Ford is making an attempt to refine the car, even in the little areas such as "switch feel." So even though much of the plastic may still look cheap, at least it doesn't "feel" quite so cheap.

I also think that loading up an '07 GT with all the stuff: IUP, ICAP, Premium Package (leather dash, armrests, console cover, aluminum shifter and bezel trim, pedals, etc), NAV unit, heated seats, homelink/autodimming/compass/temperature mirror, blah, blah, blah...goes a long way to brightening and "sophisticating" up the SN-197 interior.

I would just like to see two simple things added to the mix: an auto-swing forward mechanism for the front passenger seat to enable rear seat passengers easier entry/egress...and a grab handle above the front passenger side window for when you're doing spirited driving. IMO, that grab handle is a small but significant omission. I haven't been in too many cars recently that don't have one. And god knows you'd certainly want it in a Shelby GT500!
Old 8/6/06, 12:15 AM
Cobra Member

I just got my '07 today and have noticed some really subtle differences over my '05:

The headrests don't seem to stick as far forward. I would just barely lean my head back on the '05 and hit it. Not so on the '07.

The A/C controls are different as has been mentioned above.

The warning chime is different/ less obnoxious.

The handle that adjusts the seat back is slightly thinner, it's spaced out from the seat more.

The seat belt loop on the driver's seat is fabric now instead of leather. It also has a plastic snap on it instead of the old magnetic catch. The loop has been omitted from the passenger side.

The turn signal cancellation doesn't require as much steering wheel movement as before. There are two particular mild turns where my '05 turn signal would not cancel, I had to do it manually. The 07 cancels on the same turns.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, the headlight buckets now have ribs around the perimeter that yield a halo affect.

Most of these differences are so subtle that most people wouldn't notice. Having spent 30k miles in my 05, I was very familiar with it; so the differences in the 07 were more evident. It's nice to see Ford is making some little tweak improvements though.
Old 8/6/06, 08:22 AM
Big Falken Tires

When I installed the sequentials in my 06 (after doing them on two different 05s previously), I noticed that the first two plastic pins you have to removed from the plastic cover in the trunk are now wingnuts making them alot easier to remove and put back in. PLus the wiring and the harness once the light buckets are removed looked alot neater and sophisticated.

Mine also has the plastic snap for the seatbelt loop....... the chime is different in mine than my 05 and even the graphics on the FOB are a little different too.

I definitely think they are doing a great job each year taking input for little things from customers and tweaking them as they go.

Old 8/6/06, 09:16 AM
GT Member

Guys-
ALOT of great input and alot of great comments. I am learning more and more each day from all of you regarding the DNA of the great Ford Mustang GT !

thanks,
Dbl E GT
Old 8/6/06, 01:53 PM
Cobra Member

A couple more things I forgot to mention:

The volume control **** on the Shaker 500 is now "ratcheted", was smooth on my '05. I don't know that it's an improvement, but it's different.

The convertible top latches are HUGELY improved, my 07 top latches much more smoothly than my 05. The latches on my 05 sounded like metal-on-metal when engaging them, these sound like they're rolling on ball bearings.
Old 8/6/06, 02:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a grab handle above the front passenger side window for when you're doing spirited driving. IMO, that grab handle is a small but significant omission. I haven't been in too many cars recently that don't have one. And god knows you'd certainly want it in a Shelby GT500!
We call those OH S**T grabbers, because thats what you are yelling when you have to grab for them.
Old 8/6/06, 04:04 PM
Cobra Member

I also think that loading up an '07 GT with all the stuff: IUP, ICAP, Premium Package (leather dash, armrests, console cover, aluminum shifter and bezel trim, pedals, etc), NAV unit, heated seats, homelink/autodimming/compass/temperature mirror, blah, blah, blah...goes a long way to brightening and "sophisticating" up the SN-197 interior.
Congratulations! you finally figured out the purpose of the Interior Upgrade Package and other interior upgrade options ...
Old 8/6/06, 04:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Dougxox
We call those OH S**T grabbers, because thats what you are yelling when you have to grab for them.
"Oh **** Handle" is the technical term. I've gotten a few complaints about not having one in my car.
Old 8/6/06, 06:05 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
Congratulations! you finally figured out the purpose of the Interior Upgrade Package and other interior upgrade options ...
Oh, you mean the ones that Ford just offered this year?

Old 8/7/06, 08:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by BC Shelby

The ***** are also a lot smaller and are made of a different feeling plastic, which I can only describe as feeling "dried out". Happened to take a good look at an '07 in Grabber Orange GT today at the dealer, and gotta say I'm glad I got the '06 in that respect. Other than that, the only thing i really noticed was the rim around the headlight reflectors. That's about all I could really compare because I've got a coupe and this is a convertable, plus I only had a few minutes to look. And the key which was trustingly left on the passenger seat was identical to my '06 key (car built in Feb 06)
Old 8/7/06, 09:56 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Cavero
The ***** are also a lot smaller and are made of a different feeling plastic, which I can only describe as feeling "dried out".

They look identical in every way to me...just feel different when operated. They were always "dried out," though.
Old 8/8/06, 05:57 PM
V6 Member

07 *****

The comments about the ***** and switches are good, HOWEVER, seems to me I read the 07 ***** are "fixed", i.e, not replaceable with better quality aftermarket aluminum *****.
Old 8/9/06, 10:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Nevermind, they just looked smaller. but the plastic doesn't feel dried out on my '06 GT

Quick Reply: 05/06' to 07' Changes -- Improvements noticed ?