1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

What's your favorite shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 2/12/07 | 12:28 PM
GT Member

What's your favorite shifter?

Am looking for some input here. I want a new shifter on my '03 GT and am leaning towards the B&M Ripper. Anyone have likes or dislikes?
Old 2/12/07 | 12:42 PM
Post *****

I like (and have used) Pro5.0 and Steeda.

I've heard fantastic reviews for MGW.
Old 2/12/07 | 04:38 PM
Cobra R Member

GET THE MGW!!!!!!

Unlike other shifters, it will NOT gall, and the feel is nice and smooth without requiring too much force. It is honestly perfect if you are just looking for a short throw shifter that won't get annoying while driving. The feel is much better than stock without requiring muscular forearms to shift.

I had the Tri-ax, and the MGW is far superior. Here is my reason that I ditched Steeda, as posted on another thread on this forum (sorry for the long post):

Originally Posted by mikes rx
I would buy from MGW over Steeda anyday for a shifter. Steeda's "Lifetime Warranty" is bogus. My tri-ax on my 2000 wouldn't spring back to normal; Steeda said that this was just "wear", and they wanted to have me pay shipping both ways to get it fixed. I asked Steeda if I could open the shifter base to try fixing it myself/cleaning it, and they said it would void their "warranty".

So, fed up with Steeda, I called George at MGW, and he informed me that the springs aren't covered by him either. But, he also informed me about HOW EASY it was to fix, and that if it was his shifter he would just send out the springs for the 50 cents that it costs and have me fix it itself.

Thanks to George's help, I was able to fix the Tri-ax myself. But, I also purchased the MGW, as both a thanks and because George's selling points made his product seem superior to Steeda's. Well, it was, and I was thrilled with his shifter. So, I sold the tri-ax as soon as I got the MGW. Then, I sold the MGW shifter (and got almost what I paid for it) when I got rid of the car. You know a product is good when you can't hardly find anyone selling it on ebay. Look at how many used Tri-ax's there are vs. used MGW shifters.
Old 2/12/07 | 09:46 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

I had a pro5.0 with a tri-ax handle for along time on my cobra. I ended up going back to the shorter pro5.0 handle and absolutly loved it.

Never had a chance to try a MGW, but always heard good things about it.
Old 2/12/07 | 11:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I had a B&M Ripper Shifter on my '98 Cobra. I liked it so much that when I traded that car in for an '01 GT I swapped it over to it.
Old 2/13/07 | 05:35 AM
Needs to be more Astony

I'm suprised everyone talks about the centering spring. My stock shifter doesn't ahve any spring at all if i push it to the left in neutral it just stays there inbetween 1st and 2nd. I have no problem slamming it into 3rd gear. doesn't really need the springs if you ask me.
Old 2/13/07 | 06:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Knight
I'm suprised everyone talks about the centering spring. My stock shifter doesn't ahve any spring at all if i push it to the left in neutral it just stays there inbetween 1st and 2nd. I have no problem slamming it into 3rd gear. doesn't really need the springs if you ask me.
That's exactly what the springs fix. With the springs, the shifter goes back to neutral between 3 and 4. With WORN springs, the shifter will just stay where you push it, and not return to center.

That's one of the main points of having an aftermarket shifter...it returns to center so that it is easier to "find" third gear.
Old 2/13/07 | 08:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Prob MGW or Roush. My JRC came with the Roush Power Tower shifter..its different if not cool, but I guess I would prob choose the MGW to do it all over again...Heres a shot of the Roush setup.
Attached Thumbnails What's your favorite shifter?-roush-jennings-004.jpg  
Old 2/13/07 | 08:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by TJ4Cam
Prob MGW or Roush. My JRC came with the Roush Power Tower shifter..its different if not cool, but I guess I would prob choose the MGW to do it all over again...Heres a shot of the Roush setup.
The roush shifter is only for the T-3650, not the T-5/T-45, which means it won't work in GT's pre-2001 or any V6
Old 2/13/07 | 09:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

The roush shifter is only for the T-3650, not the T-5/T-45, which means it won't work in GT's pre-2001 or any V6

And your point? he has a '03 GT.
Old 2/13/07 | 10:03 AM
Cobra R Member

And your point? he has a '03 GT.
Just an FYI, for other's that may be interested in the roush shifter that may have an older year SN95.
Old 2/13/07 | 11:00 AM
Needs to be more Astony

That's exactly what the springs fix. With the springs, the shifter goes back to neutral between 3 and 4. With WORN springs, the shifter will just stay where you push it, and not return to center.

That's one of the main points of having an aftermarket shifter...it returns to center so that it is easier to "find" third gear.
my point was that the spring is not nessessary. I could care less if it had a spring or not.. it doesn't effect my shifting at all.
Old 2/13/07 | 02:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just an FYI, for other's that may be interested in the roush shifter that may have an older year SN95.
Gotcha, really didn't want to appear harsh...my bad.
Old 2/13/07 | 02:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Gotcha, really didn't want to appear harsh...my bad.
It's cool.
Old 2/13/07 | 02:49 PM
Cobra R Member

my point was that the spring is not nessessary. I could care less if it had a spring or not.. it doesn't effect my shifting at all.
I'll agree with you that the centering spring doesn't affect the shifting. I put back my original shifter to sell the car, and I had no "problems" trying to find 3rd gear.

But, an aftermarket shifter does provide a better feel, and a shorter throw. In your case, those would be the only "benefits" that you would see, if you are not having issues "finding" 3rd gear like some people do.
Old 2/13/07 | 03:12 PM
Needs to be more Astony

yeah, i totaly agree that there are advantages to the aftermarket.. shorter throws being number 1.

I have always wanted to get the mgw shifter. I have heard such great things about it and wanted to try somthing other then the triax that everyone has.
Old 2/13/07 | 03:15 PM
Cobra R Member

I have always wanted to get the mgw shifter. I have heard such great things about it and wanted to try somthing other then the triax that everyone has.
I will FOREVER recommend MGW's shifter. I don't think you will be disappointed at all. And, the price is the same as Steeda's, so it's not even a question of "Is it worth the extra money?"

The product is GREAT, the customer service is GREAT, the tech help from George is GREAT. I honestly can't say enough about MGW.
Old 2/13/07 | 04:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

i love the pro50 in my 92. one of the best "feeling" mods i have done!
Old 2/14/07 | 05:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

I personally love my TriAx. Not had any problems yet other than getting used to the extra force needed to change gear mainly 1st and 2nd.
Whichever shifter you buy I am sure you will love it.
Old 2/14/07 | 02:40 PM

Mgw...

Quick Reply: What's your favorite shifter?