1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

What has better Bang-4-Buck?

Search this Thread

Old 8/21/06, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What has better Bang-4-Buck?

I'm torn between getting these two exhaust setups.

Setup #1: Borla Stinger Catback, Bassani Headers and offroad X.

Setup #2: Magnaflow Magnapack Catback, BBK LTs and offroad X.

I have a $3000 spending limit on my car, and I want to do a lot to her. Sound system, lower, chin spoiler, grille delete, etc. With setup #1, I'd have to give up the chin spoiler and the grille delete, whereas with #2, I'd still have enough money to get a car cover, vert top cleaner, new intake plenum, and a sexy keychain (WOOHO!).

I've heard them both in person, and although Borla sound amazing, I'm leaning more towards Magna since I would get more stuff for my money. Also, I've heard a few bad things about BBK's offroad X, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them.

Thanks in advance!
Old 8/21/06, 07:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Anyone?
Old 8/21/06, 07:51 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Hmmm . . . do you already have a tuner? Reason for asking is if you plan a full exhaust (or even Mid-pipe/Cat-back) you will need a tune. Have you also thought of just a x-pipe and cat-back and forgoing the headers . . . or do you have additonal mods planned for the future to take full advantage of the LTs?

I have Stingers, and I love them. But I have also heard the Magnapacks and they do sound good.
Old 8/21/06, 09:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Eventually, I plan on having either a twin turbo, or a supercharged (w/ intercooler) system. I'll also eventually get the engine stroked, so yea, I want to stay with LTs.

I forgot about a tuner though. I'll either buy one for just get some local guys to do it. They give free tunes if you advertise for them.

EDIT: I'm looking for the exhaust to be so loud when my foot hits the floor, that I can't even hear myself yell WOO HOO! But at idle, I'd like a night low toned rumble. Not trying to wake the neighbors ya know...
Old 8/22/06, 11:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

either one of those setups will be plenty loud. They should give you the sound you want, especially at WOT. You'll definately get a ton of drone too, but im sure you know that already. The Magnapack and Stingers are both good systems, so I dont think you can wrong with either, sound-wise.

I will say that my Magnaflows went together extremely well, with no installation problems at all. Also, from what Ive see, the Magnapacks are supposed to give better power gains.
Old 8/22/06, 07:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

how about the header offroad-x combo? Would it be better to go with a magna for the midpipe abd BBK or Bassani for the headers?

I havn't done as much research on header/midpipe combos as I have with the cat-back, but I know the Bassani's are beasts. I've heard a few bad comments about the BBK midpipe, and everyone I've talked to said I should go with an offroad X rather than an offroad H pipe, better sound and all.
Old 8/23/06, 06:48 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
I'd go magnaflow personally. Their quality is top notch and I personally lvoe the sound.

Btw, I wouldnt do headers if you are dead set on going the turbo route later. You'll just have to replace them again and right now n/a, the price & PITA install vs gain isnt that great. Go with a good catted or o/r X-pipe and catback and letter rip!
Old 8/23/06, 08:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

I should consider that Scott, since that would save me close to $700. But doesn't the midpipe have to be cut off from the headers? I was told they were welded together at the factory. If so, I'll just get the exhaust installed at a shop here, but if it's just a bolt on/off job, I can do it with a friend.

How are the mangaflow offroad-x combined with the mangapack? any extra gains in perf from the combo, or is just just the different sound.

EDIT: I'm also thinking about getting a Shaker System for her as well, and was wondering how hard it would be to cut the hole in the hood. What are the perf. numbers on it, or is it mostly just cosmetic?
Old 8/24/06, 09:36 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

I havent seen numbers on the shaker personally.

The mid-pipe is just bolted to headers. 2 bolts on each side. Need a good rachet, exentions(multiple) and swivle to get em off.

I really dont think the difference in hp between a GOOD catted pipe and an o/r pipe is that much.. 2-3 maybe. WHich is why I personally will go with a catted pipe from here on out.
Old 8/24/06, 12:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

That swivel/wobble socket and extension Scott mentioned is absolutely necessary. With the placement of the suspension, the header bolts are very tough to reach straight-on. The passenger side is especially tough, so make sure you have an assortment of different length extensions and sockets. With the wobble rachet tools (and maybe a decent breaker bar too) you should be able to do the installation in a couple hours. You may need another person to help position and hold the new pipe when you bolt it up to the headers. Good luck if you go for it.
Old 8/24/06, 01:36 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

I had to use a breaker bar to get mine tightened back up good enough. Regular rachet wouldnt give me enough trq while layin on my back under the car. If you can get it on a lift its 100x easier.
Old 8/24/06, 08:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'll start a new thread about the Shaker system, see who's gotten it, if they like it, etc.

I'm trying to find a place that rents out auto repair equipment so I can rent a non-mechanical lift.