1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Ticking noise 97 cobra HELP

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/17, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticking noise 97 cobra HELP

So I have a 97 cobra, this noise all happened after getting a head replaced on althe drivers side, after a spark plug blew out of the old head. We had it replaced, and it came back with a really bad knock, and that turned out to be the timing chains. So, me and a buddy took the engine apart and fixed all timing components, got new pulleys, water pump, all that good stuff. Started the car up again, and it still makes a ticking noise, you can hear it at idle, and while your revving the engine, at all rpms. We haven't driven it, so we don't know if there are any power loss or anything. I have read that this could be a can follower, or exhaust manifold leak. These are two very different things, and I just wanted o get someone else's opinion. The ticking never stops, and you it sounds the same all around the engine, can't source it to one exact side. Thanks, Ryan.
Old 3/8/17, 03:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan Konke
So I have a 97 cobra, this noise all happened after getting a head replaced on althe drivers side, after a spark plug blew out of the old head. We had it replaced, and it came back with a really bad knock, and that turned out to be the timing chains. So, me and a buddy took the engine apart and fixed all timing components, got new pulleys, water pump, all that good stuff. Started the car up again, and it still makes a ticking noise, you can hear it at idle, and while your revving the engine, at all rpms. We haven't driven it, so we don't know if there are any power loss or anything. I have read that this could be a can follower, or exhaust manifold leak. These are two very different things, and I just wanted o get someone else's opinion. The ticking never stops, and you it sounds the same all around the engine, can't source it to one exact side. Thanks, Ryan.
Make sure all the plugs are torqued correctly...that is the sound you usually here before a plug gets loose and blows out!!