1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Side exhaust exits

Search this Thread

Old 3/18/05, 03:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was going to buy the Roush Side Skirts with the side exhaust exits but when i took my mustang down to the local muffler shop he said he wouldnt do it. His reason was that the clearence was bad and it would be constantly knocked off out of place. I told him well how do all the other Roush's get away with it. Not sure if this is true. I already have a flowmaster system I would think they would have to cut the pipes and move the mufflers back and then run the pipes out of the sides but im no expert. Anyone else have a simular problem?
Old 3/18/05, 08:37 PM
GTR Member

He means (i think) that you will constantly be bottoming out on the pipes and flattening them. I wouldn't do it, get a good Full Bassani system instead. 00 R owners had exhaust problems too, with flattening the pipes.
Old 3/18/05, 10:22 PM
Bullitt Member

yeah, am going to have to look into a different side skirt kit. I wish Roush made the 99-04 side without exit cuts in them.
Old 3/19/05, 03:04 PM

I have steeda side pipes on my 02 GT right now and have had them on there for almost 2 years... I have hit them before, but its very rare. The only times I ever do hit them is going over tall speed bumps or steep driveways. Even then it can be avoided by going over both on a bit of angle. Its not as bad as it seems though.
Old 3/19/05, 09:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah im getting mixed opinions about the side exhaust. If I have a muffler shop re-fab my current setup would I have to buy hardware to mount the side exhaust or would the shop probably have the brackets?
Old 3/19/05, 09:32 PM
GTR Member

the 00 R had a h pipe that had the mufflers in the stock location and the pipes came out of the mufflers and forward a llittle bit, then out the side. You would porlly have to fabricate some side mount bracket for your car if u re-fab it.
Old 3/19/05, 10:16 PM
Bullitt Member

yeah i would know little about that. I would hope the shop would be able to do that. was looking to see if roush sold the hardware without the whole system if I need to provide the hardware, but I would hope the shop would be able to do that.
Old 3/20/05, 09:58 AM
Bullitt Member

I say find a new shop. The roush pipes dont rub very often, and look a lot nicer than the 00R pipes. Dont let one shop discourage your project.
Old 3/20/05, 10:14 AM
Bullitt Member

thanks pearbear, I'v had problems with that guy anyways with disagreements on installations. the biggest obstacle is going to be the exhaust because everything else I can do myself. Plus the exhaust makes this whole roush kit its the most important stage. Any idea what a shop would charge for a re-fab?
Old 3/20/05, 10:46 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

hey travis you had the roush side exit on your gt. isnt their kit a bolt on deal?
Old 3/21/05, 01:16 PM
Bullitt Member

I wish i had taken pics when i had in inspected and it was up in the air. I did a GIS and found this one. Mine was dealer installed, but it doesnt seem to be that difficult. The hard part is getting the pipes to line up right with the side skirts. I dont know if this pic helps you at all, but it looks like a pretty straight forward bolt on deal.
Old 3/21/05, 01:42 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by PearBear@March 20, 2005, 12:01 PM
I say find a new shop. The roush pipes dont rub very often, and look a lot nicer than the 00R pipes. Dont let one shop discourage your project.
Yes, well said
Old 3/21/05, 07:42 PM
Bullitt Member

called a couple shops today while at work. the first shop said it was not possible to use my existing mufflers because they are (what i think he said "in-outs") They only go in one end and out the other. He said I need mufflers that can go in one side and out the same side. Looking at my mufflers I can see a notch in them next to where the pipes go in the muffler that look like they can be cut out to have the side exit exhaust pipe come out of them. I am no expert but these exhaust shop guys are making this seem very complicated. The second shop continuously insisted on me just buying a side exhaust kit and bring it down there and having them put it on. I thought the while point of exhaust shops would be to have them maybe custimize one for me instead of me having to pay $800 for a completly new system which i do not need. :bang: :bang: :bang:
Old 3/21/05, 09:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am working on a couple of side exhaust theories right now. You could always just buy the type of muffler that they are talking about. Summit sells the Dynomax muffler that you need. It is the same on that comes with the CDC kit. Part number is 17676. Just go to Summit and do a search by this number. The mufflers are only 50 bucks each. Then have them bend and weld the pipes. It's pretty easy if you use those mufflers. I used to have that kit on 95 GT. Loved the way they sounded. Also, if the shop you are dealing with will not take care of you and wants to charge you an insane amount to do this....leave. There is a shop somewhere that wants your business. Also, if you don't like that idea I have another way you could do it if you are interested. Good luck.
Old 3/21/05, 10:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by sscobra@March 21, 2005, 10:03 PM
I am working on a couple of side exhaust theories right now. You could always just buy the type of muffler that they are talking about. Summit sells the Dynomax muffler that you need. It is the same on that comes with the CDC kit. Part number is 17676. Just go to Summit and do a search by this number. The mufflers are only 50 bucks each. Then have them bend and weld the pipes. It's pretty easy if you use those mufflers. I used to have that kit on 95 GT. Loved the way they sounded. Also, if the shop you are dealing with will not take care of you and wants to charge you an insane amount to do this....leave. There is a shop somewhere that wants your business. Also, if you don't like that idea I have another way you could do it if you are interested. Good luck.

sounds great. so all i would need to do is buy those mufflers and just have them do the install and the bends and I should be set? Im not worried about losing my flowmasters i figured i could keep those so buying the dynomax would be fine. What should i expect for the work?
Old 3/22/05, 06:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by TikiStang311+March 21, 2005, 11:15 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TikiStang311 @ March 21, 2005, 11:15 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-sscobra@March 21, 2005, 10:03 PM

sounds great. so all i would need to do is buy those mufflers and just have them do the install and the bends and I should be set? Im not worried about losing my flowmasters i figured i could keep those so buying the dynomax would be fine. What should i expect for the work?

[/b][/quote]

I sent you a pm. I think I covered everything. Let me know if you need any further help. You could always sell your flows to counte the cost of the new system some.
Old 3/22/05, 01:25 PM
Bullitt Member

you need mufflers like in the picture. The exhaust enters and exits on the same side. Roush uses (maybe doesnt anymore) Magnaflows, so if your going for a true conversion, thats what I would get.
Old 3/22/05, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by PearBear@March 22, 2005, 2:28 PM
you need mufflers like in the picture. The exhaust enters and exits on the same side. Roush uses (maybe doesnt anymore) Magnoflows, so if your going for a true conversion, thats what I would get.
yeah sscobra pointed me to some nice dynamax mufflers on summit racing for pretty cheap.
Old 3/22/05, 01:33 PM
GTR Member

When you buy cheap dynomax mufflers from summit racing, they normally arent normal dynomax, they are a division called thrust, i believe they are the same thing, but i would like to tell you so you dont get mislead. My Fathers Truck has Summit Racing Thrush Turbo mufflers on it, and they are very quiet, just a light rumble
Old 3/22/05, 02:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

The part number that I gave is the exact Dynomax number. It can even be found on the Dynomax website. Dynomax bought Thrush mufflers out. So they are still Dynomax mufflers. Dynomax is also called Walker Muffler. The number that I listed is the exact same muffler that comes with the CDC kit. Also, they are by no means quit (depending on which mid-pipe you have, stock, h, or X).

Quick Reply: Side exhaust exits