1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Pros and Cons of the 99-04 Fox

Search this Thread

Old 3/28/05, 10:24 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, as many of you know, the comming of the '05s to dealers has caused the prices of '99-'04 Fox bodies to drop- which is a bad thing for resale, but makes them all the more appealing for those interested in owning a high performance car for a relatively low price. I was wondering- what do you have to look out for for these years? What are the shortcommings to these cars? How do they hold up against high milage? Also, I heard (this is where putting rumors to rest comes into play) that the interiors in these cars are pretty cheap, the stick (in manual cars) is hard to reach, and that the suspension and handling isn't the greatest. Thanks for answering all these questions in advance- and hopefully I will be able to join the ranks as a prowd SN95 owner!
Old 3/28/05, 11:14 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

you listed many of the cons that are addressed with the 05. as far as cheap interior pieces, and the shifter being way up there. the 99-04 GT, SE, and Cobras are a good deal. you might not get the better interior suspension and shifter of the new model. but you can get the current car much cheaper. and all the 99-04 are pretty quick, and dont handle as bad as the fox body mustangs.
Old 3/28/05, 11:23 AM
Bullitt Member

.... and hopefully I will be able to join the ranks as a prowd SN95 owner!
[/quote]
well i dont own a 99-04 but i do own a 95 which is the same interior so i can help you out with that.....cheap; in the sense that its mostly plastic, yes, but nice, more comfotable then an old fox (87-93) but definately not as comfortable as an 05 (sat in one at local dealership). the shifter isnt in that bad of a spot...but the shift into third can cause you to reach a lil, nothing that would make me not buy the car. as the car ages some of the plastic peices tend to loose shine but some armorall treatment fixes that, overall its very nice looking, comfortable and with a lil tlc can stay beautiful for a long time
Old 3/28/05, 11:58 AM
GT Member

Thanks for all the info- just wanted to clarify that I have absolutely nothing against this car, I just wanna know all the facts before I dive into this (seemed like I was portraying it in a negative light). A few more before I head out on the long quest to find one of these at a price I can afford. Do these cars hold up as well as consumer reports claims they do at high milage (they gave 99-04 Mustangs outstanding scores)? And what particular problem spots should I look for- like places that had paint/rust problems or parts that tended to break?
Old 3/28/05, 12:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I have a 97GT and my interior (which is pretty much the same) looks fine to me and according to others it looks brand new. So, it holds up well if you take care of it. I just recommend you go out and test drive a few to get your own opinion. For the money no used car will come close to the power for the money. Good luck.
Old 3/28/05, 01:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by BlackMustangGT07@March 28, 2005, 3:01 PM
Thanks for all the info- just wanted to clarify that I have absolutely nothing against this car, I just wanna know all the facts before I dive into this (seemed like I was portraying it in a negative light). A few more before I head out on the long quest to find one of these at a price I can afford. Do these cars hold up as well as consumer reports claims they do at high milage (they gave 99-04 Mustangs outstanding scores)? And what particular problem spots should I look for- like places that had paint/rust problems or parts that tended to break?
i bought my 95 used with 107,000 miles on it, it has one very minor spot of rust above the wheel well (which im planning on having fixed) the paint still shines like the day it rolled out of ford (its all original) and aside from the normal stuff that goes with mileage (im up to 124,000 now ) aka starter , shocks, struts, tires, i havnt had much of a problem with it. it still peels out and chirps gears and snaps your neck like a new car. now this is my 95...if you find one 99-04 it should have far less miles on it, and mustangfun101 is right, youll be hard pressed to find a 99-04 car that will give you the power and performance for the price they go for used
Old 3/30/05, 09:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I HAD a 95 V6. It blew a head gasket. Rumor has it that the 3.8 liter engine has a tendacy to blow them.

I did not know this. I ended up selling the car to a co-worker. He found out that there was a TSB to fix the gasket. He took it to Ford and had it replaced for free.

Edit: Sorry, I thought this was a 94-99 topic. I read it wrong.
Old 3/31/05, 03:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

I really like the ride of the SN95 compared to the 87-93. Having owned an 87 GT I can really appreciate the improvements in the suspension. I also found the shifter was a little more difficult to reach when I test drove another 99 which is part of the reason I went with an auto. This is the first automatic car I have owned and I love it. It shifts really well. I was on the highway late one night doing about 55 and stepped on it. Bam 100 mph before I knew it. The shifting was seemless. If you're looking to get into a used Mustang now is definetley the time to do it. Dealers are giving really good deals to make room for the 05's. You may even want to wait until the 05 convertibles come out, you may get even a better deal then. Oh and definetley don't settle for the first one you see. I almost did and would have lost a chance to buy the official 35th anni. I have now.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Old 3/31/05, 03:44 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@March 31, 2005, 4:24 PM
I really like the ride of the SN95 compared to the 87-93. Having owned an 87 GT I can really appreciate the improvements in the suspension. I also found the shifter was a little more difficult to reach when I test drove another 99 which is part of the reason I went with an auto. This is the first automatic car I have owned and I love it. It shifts really well. I was on the highway late one night doing about 55 and stepped on it. Bam 100 mph before I knew it. The shifting was seemless. If you're looking to get into a used Mustang now is definetley the time to do it. Dealers are giving really good deals to make room for the 05's. You may even want to wait until the 05 convertibles come out, you may get even a better deal then. Oh and definetley don't settle for the first one you see. I almost did and would have lost a chance to buy the official 35th anni. I have now.

I hope this helps and good luck!
It does- the ironic thing is, I'm considering a Black 35th Anniversary! Maybe its meant to be.. But the hardest part about being in the market for a car like the Mustang is saying no.

Edit: I forgot my most important question! On the black GT anni, are there any exterior stripes? Because theres still this slight suspicion that this guy is trying to pull a fast one on me- since all 99 mustangs had that badge on them.
Old 3/31/05, 06:40 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by BlackMustangGT07@March 31, 2005, 4:47 PM
Edit: I forgot my most important question! On the black GT anni, are there any exterior stripes? Because theres still this slight suspicion that this guy is trying to pull a fast one on me- since all 99 mustangs had that badge on them.
On the Anniversary Edition GTs, there were some exterior appearance appointments. One being the hood stripe in the "valley" forward of the hood scoop (which, BTW, is like the '01-'04 GTs). The side scoops are also like the '01-'04 GTs...heck, the '99 Anniversary Editions are where they took the idea from.

Also, the Anniversary Edtions got the rear honeycomb insert. The wheels had a little stripe in the "divets" on each spoke. I *think* the spoilers were different from regular GTs...pedestal-mount style vs. "swooping" wing. I'm not totally sure on that though.

The stripe would be tough to spot on a black one, since the stripe was...black. There was also something different with the interior...something on the seats...but I don't remember what it was. Something with the embroidery or something.
Old 3/31/05, 07:31 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by BlackMustangGT07@March 28, 2005, 11:27 AM
Hello, as many of you know, the comming of the '05s to dealers has caused the prices of '99-'04 Fox bodies to drop- which is a bad thing for resale, but makes them all the more appealing for those interested in owning a high performance car for a relatively low price. I was wondering- what do you have to look out for for these years? What are the shortcommings to these cars? How do they hold up against high milage? Also, I heard (this is where putting rumors to rest comes into play) that the interiors in these cars are pretty cheap, the stick (in manual cars) is hard to reach, and that the suspension and handling isn't the greatest. Thanks for answering all these questions in advance- and hopefully I will be able to join the ranks as a prowd SN95 owner!
Most of the things you mentioned are true. Interior is pretty cheap and ... well, ugly. And suspension and handling ain't good at all (just wait until winter).
Now, I like where stick is located, maybe other people have other options. I don't know about problems at high mileage (if any) because my Mustang only have 28,000 miles.
Old 3/31/05, 07:39 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
IMO, the Bullitt GT, '04 Mach 1, and the '04 Cobra were the best of that generation. The GTs were extremely reliable although not as feature rich as the the SEs. They are good buys specially if well taken care of and not one used for the track.
Old 4/1/05, 06:18 AM

Originally posted by conv_stang@March 28, 2005, 12:17 PM
you listed many of the cons that are addressed with the 05. as far as cheap interior pieces, and the shifter being way up there. the 99-04 GT, SE, and Cobras are a good deal. you might not get the better interior suspension and shifter of the new model. but you can get the current car much cheaper. and all the 99-04 are pretty quick, and dont handle as bad as the fox body mustangs.
Actually, the interior of an '01 Cobra is of higher quality materials than that of an '05 GT. There is no rubberized padding on the door panels, etc. on an '05 GT. The fit and finish is far better on the newer car, though.
Old 4/1/05, 09:09 AM
Bullitt Member

I bought my 2001 Roush vert in August at an absolutely fantastic price (with low mileage, great condition) and the updated suspension took care of most of the handling issues. Also the interior is nicer with the Roush touches (light bar, Roush seating). If all else fails you can always find a tuner car from 99-04 which may address some of the issues you have with the SN-95s. Just another POV.
Old 4/1/05, 09:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Cool! They are decently rare. I picked mine up from a used car lot for 10K with only 44k miles on the odometer. With average mileage I wouldn't spend anything over $11,500 for 1999. You'll find the perfect one for you. Good luck. As for the interior of the GT. The 35th anniversary is excellent. I love the fit and finish. The two tone leather interior and leather wrapped steering wheel is always a plus too.
Old 4/1/05, 10:17 AM
Bullitt Member

For exact info on the 1999 "Limited Edition" GT's, see this link....

http://www.mustang35th.com/facts.html
Old 4/1/05, 10:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@March 31, 2005, 8:42 PM
IMO, the Bullitt GT, '04 Mach 1, and the '04 Cobra were the best of that generation. The GTs were extremely reliable although not as feature rich as the the SEs. They are good buys specially if well taken care of and not one used for the track.

The 1999 "Limited Edition" GT was feature laden over the standard GT(exterior and interior appointments). The special leather was IMO better than stock. It made it the best looking SN95 interior to date. Most of the later SE's got many ideas from the "Limited".
Old 4/1/05, 10:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Amen brother
Old 4/1/05, 10:29 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@April 1, 2005, 10:48 AM
Cool! They are decently rare. I picked mine up from a used car lot for 10K with only 44k miles on the odometer. With average mileage I wouldn't spend anything over $11,500 for 1999. You'll find the perfect one for you. Good luck. As for the interior of the GT. The 35th anniversary is excellent. I love the fit and finish. The two tone leather interior and leather wrapped steering wheel is always a plus too.
This one is going for $10,600 with 52,000 on the odometer. Black, 5 Speed manual- no way I'm doing another automatic. I found it on the internet about 64 miles from my house. We're supposed to have a showing sometime in the near future. The only picture of it is from the outside- so I'm not so sure wether it truely is a 35th or not. I'm hoping I can get the price to drop alittle closer to $10,000.
Old 4/1/05, 10:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Cool! Good Luck. You might want to get the VIN and verify that it is a 35th. Anyone with enough money and time could turn a regular GT into one but I doubt it. An easy way to tell from the pic is whether or not the hoodscoop is raised.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of the 99-04 Fox