1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

P-0232

Search this Thread

Old 12/17/12, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok guys need some help here as I'm not very familiar with the 4.6 modular. My dad has a 01 Cobra w/03 Terminator motor. Car would idle fine but when revving it would miss and hesitate badly. Exhaust smelled really rich also. First thing I noticed was fuel pressure was only at about 15#, not sure what normal pressure should be but i knew this was too low. when he gave it gas it would rise but fall again when idle fell. So I adjusted fuel pressure regulator to about 32#, car revved fine with no miss or hesitation. Problem solved? Nope. Fuel pressure dropped off again! Did this twice and same result. The car was built before he bought it, it has a twin pump, sumped high flow setup, not sure of make. The car also has a parasitic draw somewhere because he has to charge the battery alot. I dont have wiring diagrams for this make, and it has alot of aftermarket harnesses and wiring. Oh and battery is in the trunk. Whew, that was a mouthful. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated, before I break out the multimeter later this week.

Last edited by camsfox; 12/17/12 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12/18/12, 11:12 AM
Cobra R Member

How old is the battery? the battery may not be holding a charge due to age so keep this in mind. A fully charged battery should be at 12.6 volts a reading of 12.0 or lower and it is dead. 12.4 volts and it would be around 75%.

set teh dvm to read milliamps ( make sure the the meter has a 10amp fuse to protect it if there is a high drain) open the hood and leave the car off and alone for about an hour, the pull off one of the cables and connect the meter in sieries with the batter ypost and clamp and take a reading. should be about 20ish ma normal. if it is high then pull fueses/relays one at a time until the reading drops ( don't pull the pcm until the other circuits are checked) once you have found the circuit causing the problem then check/test the related items on the circuit.

somtimes a faulty diode in the alt can cause the battery to drain, a bad diode can leak current back. a quick way to test this, make sure the battery us fully charged. disconnect the alternator overnight and see if the battery has run down.

Also the battery drain could be related to the code "P2032" Fuel pump secondary circuit high.I'm leaning towards a failing fuel pump, that fuel pressure is too low.IMO the fuel pump could be failing , bad ground or fualty power wiring. another problem could be the CCRM ( constant control relay module). you can take the CCRM out and clean it this has been a possible fix for the code.

Last edited by skunk21; 12/18/12 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12/18/12, 01:55 PM

Thanks skunk 21, that sounds like a good place to start to me. I got my work cut out. The car has alot of aftermarket parts that I didnt put on. Just figuring out how and where everything is ran is going to be a job in itself!