1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Overdrive Question

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/06, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overdrive Question

Just a quick question. It seems to me that when I turn off the Overdrive on the automatic trans. The car seems to feel more peppy while driving around town (especially when starting from a dead stop )

My question is, does it hurt the car to drive with the overdrive turned off?
Old 6/30/06, 11:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm not sure why your car feels quicker from a stop, as the gear ratios dont change. It may feel quicker and more responsive when you are going faster (in third gear) because having the OD off keeps the RPMs up in the powerband.
As for whether this is harmful, I'm not really sure, but keeping the OD turned off will limit your car to third gear, obviously. When you're cruising in third gear, the trans wont upshift to fourth gear if the RPMs get too high, which could put some unncessary stress and strain on the engine, aside from the extra gas consupmtion. Hopefully someone else will be able to shed more light on this.
Old 7/1/06, 04:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, someone reply to this one!!

I have a 95 GT with AOD and I think of this a lot!!

I never turn my OD off, because I just don't I guess. My car has been shifting at a higher RPM here lately. I wonder if me turning my OD off will in some way help? I am going to go try it!! Reply please!!!!

Well, I did with my OD off! I think it might have been worse. That answered that question to myself!
Old 7/1/06, 04:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
well....I have never understood why we have the option of turning the overdrive off in the first place...the way I see it, turning the overdrive off serves no positive purpose...unless for some reason, you feel a need to keep the car from going into overdrive...why someone would do that, I have not a clue...maybe some people like the idea of a classic three speed auto better??? If its throttle response you're after, there is no need to do it manually, cause autos automatically shift into "passing gear."

as for your car shifting at higher RPMs, its becuase of your driving style...you should be able to make the car shift by letting off the gas at just under 2,000rpm for each gear....if you dont lift, the car will shift whenever it feels necessary to fit your style at the time...
Old 7/1/06, 05:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

I thought turning O/D off was for towing or heavy loads. But why would you have that in a Mustang?
The other day I saw a vette with a 20' trailer on the back of it. I thought was more funny than the hummer with the snow plow. What next.... Mustang roof racks?
Old 7/1/06, 07:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The truth on why I leave my overdrive on all the time is because I have a terrible memory! I am afraid I will not switch it back when I head out on the highway or something. I start out, at 0 kind of aggressive, I guess. It just sounds better that way! Now I am taking it less aggressive and it seems to help it shift better. I have a brain injury and have forgot more than I know about cars. However, I do know my car sounds! It sounds like it is at a higher RPM going into 2nd and 3rd gear, to me. I have spent a lot of money on getting my car as loud as it can be without being obnoxious, I think. Yeah, I know her sounds. That turning off the OD did make it worse. Thanks for your recommendations on how to help it shift better!! See ya!

Oh yeah, other than the way I take off; I drive very slowly!!
Old 7/5/06, 06:13 PM

I used to have a 95 GT with an auto, and always turned the overdrive off until I got on the highway or a road I could drive 50 mph or more consistanly. Everytime I left the overdrive on it would shift into overdrive at around 35 mph and slight hills or acceleration it would downshift back into third, which after lots of times doing that the clutch discs will eventually wear. So I just left it off, also I liked telling the transmission when to shift not the other way around.
Old 7/5/06, 06:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
yeah...that an old idea....my grandpa always says that if you are driving slow, that he keeps overdrive off...I just dont agree though...I mean...that may be the reason for the button, but really, mustangs were built to be driven over 40 mph....