1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Mass Air Flow Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 8/4/06, 04:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mass Air Flow Sensor

I need one of these now. Where do I go to look for buying one of these? I found one @ oreillyauto.com. It says it is remanufactured though. Is there a problem with it being remanufactured? I just want a good one! I plan on having my car for life, so I don't know what to buy. Thanks!!
Old 8/4/06, 04:58 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Have you checked a ford dealer?
Old 8/4/06, 05:28 PM
Cobra R Member

No, I have not. I have not scheduled it to be changed yet. I am just trying to find a good price now though. I have an appointment Monday@ 8 am for it. Besides I like searching online for stuff. I talked to a parts store here in Nocona and they told me they are all remanufactured. They sell them for $85, and O'Reillys is $80. I was just searching around. We were talking about plans to fix other stuff on my car Monday so we did not get to the MAF price. Thanks!!

On all the websites I have over Mustangs, I think I found one.
It was for $229.99, new.

Old 8/4/06, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One good thing about the O'Reilly part is that it has a lifetime guarantee!
Old 8/5/06, 06:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

That is mighty expensive part. Can you not just clean it?
Old 8/5/06, 07:02 AM

If you try to clean the mass airflow meter, you will ruin it for sure. The elements that monitor the air flow are coated and very sensitive. You are better off replacing it.
Old 8/5/06, 11:33 AM
Cobra R Member

The one @ O'Reillys says it has a limited warranty. I was hoping for a lifetime, too. Everywhere I have checked there is just a $5 difference. Thanks a lot!!

Anybody know about a rear speed sensor? Mine will be replaced Monday. Something about it determines how your tranny shifts. It is on top of your rear end, I believe he said. I have tried 'googling' it, but come up with nothing!
Old 8/5/06, 12:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

How about SCT MAF? Is there any kind of gain to be achieved with this other than for highly modded cars? Better response, more accurate, etc.
My opinion is that if it breaks replace it with something better.
Old 8/5/06, 02:38 PM
Cobra R Member

This one?

I see a SCT MAF @ sctflash.com. It is part # SCT-BA-2400, for $275.00. There was a 2800 for the same price. Yeah, I cannot afford that! I sure wish I could though!! I am disabled and do not work. Thanks. I can barely swing the $85 it takes to buy it. I am going to have to stretch some strings to have it installed.
My car has stock 215 HP. I have had some little gains by small mods. I do not need anything like that. It sure sounds good though.
Old 8/5/06, 05:23 PM
Cobra R Member

I see w/19lb, 24lb, and 30 lb ones. What do I need for a stock 5.0? I am thinking the 19, but I am not for sure! Thanks!!
Old 8/6/06, 09:56 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Originally Posted by hamstang58
If you try to clean the mass airflow meter, you will ruin it for sure. The elements that monitor the air flow are coated and very sensitive. You are better off replacing it.
Not entirely, you can clean the sensor fairly easy. Go to autozone or any other auto parts supplier and pick up a can of CDC Electrical Contact Cleaner. You can spray the sensor with that and it will clean it quite well. If its seriously dirty, use can use a q-tip to GENTLY clean the wires.

JUst dont touch it with your bare hands.
Old 8/7/06, 05:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

so, what exactly does the sct MAF sensor do? what are its advantages over the stock MAF?
Old 8/7/06, 09:30 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

On an N/A car, the stock maf is fine unless you have a seriously modded motor.
Old 8/8/06, 04:39 PM
Cobra R Member

another update

My car is still in the shop! It needed a rear speed sensor because it was not shifting right. He ordered the part and the one he got was not the right one. I have another MAF on it though. He says the new sensor should be here on 8/9, I hope. I have not really driven my car in a long time, I don’t remember really!! It is not getting any miles though, which is great!!!
Old 8/8/06, 06:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hope this gets sorted out soon, as this has been taking quite a long time. I hope he's doing a good job. The wait will make you want to make you drive it all the more!
Old 8/8/06, 06:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hope that this is the end of your problems for a while. Sounds like you are having a rough time.
When its fixed, fill that tank and just drive!!!
Old 8/9/06, 02:07 PM
Cobra R Member

I went and got the MAF myself. It was about $107-ish. Now he is just waiting to get the correct rear speed sensor. That is SUPPOSED to be in this afternoon. The only thing good about it being in the shop this long is, no miles on it. Other that that, this sucks!! I still have to remember she is 12 years old when I get her back. I want to go take a long road trip, but realize I do not want the miles on it. Oh how I want to drive though!!! Thanks again!!
Old 8/9/06, 07:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by eliyarbrough
I went and got the MAF myself. It was about $107-ish. Now he is just waiting to get the correct rear speed sensor. That is SUPPOSED to be in this afternoon. The only thing good about it being in the shop this long is, no miles on it. Other that that, this sucks!! I still have to remember she is 12 years old when I get her back. I want to go take a long road trip, but realize I do not want the miles on it. Oh how I want to drive though!!! Thanks again!!
Oh come on. That car was made with only one purpose in life....TO BE DRIVEN!!! Try not to worry about the mileage or the gas prices too much. Why let worry stand in the way of pleasure?

(I expect a few +1's to back me up please folks)
Old 8/9/06, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tricky02GT
Oh come on. That car was made with only one purpose in life....TO BE DRIVEN!!! Try not to worry about the mileage or the gas prices too much. Why let worry stand in the way of pleasure?

+1
Old 8/9/06, 08:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by tricky02GT

Yeah, the last thing I worry about is the price of gas! I do worry about miles because I will never sale this car. I will probably drive it all I can when I get her back, just at night when it is not so hot. As long as it is not raining, my top is down on my car. Why have a convertible and always keep the top up. I love my car too much to let it sit.
I didn’t mean that literally. I do not think so good.

If I knew what +1's meant it would mean more, I think that means people back what you said, maybe.

Quick Reply: Mass Air Flow Sensor