1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

gt to cobra

Search this Thread

Old 8/29/07, 10:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gt to cobra

I was just wondering how many of you owned a GT and then went to a Cobra. I own a 99GT and was at the dealer near my house today and they have a 03 black Cobra. Well I pretty much dream about owning a 04 Mystic Chrome vert.....one day . So any of you who made the jump......whats it like going from a GT to a Cobra? Is it that crazy? Is it that much faster? Aside from my car the other fastest car Ive driven was an 08 G35x. But after driving my car for 3 years now.....I NEED MORE. So one day I'll make that jump.....hopefully
Old 8/30/07, 05:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

Well I've got a GT as well but a good friend of mine has an 03 Cobra 'vert and he stopped by a while back and tossed me the keys and said "have fun"! (No, despite my wanting to I didn't thrash the stuffing out of it - but I did go wide open a few times!) Is the Cobra faster than a GT? Oh yeah, quite a bit so. It's easy to control though and the handling and ride is nice. The clutch and shifter are pretty stiff, his had the shifter upgraded to a tri-ax. It was precise but still seemed to require more effort than my GT, but that really wasn't a big deal. I was surprised at how quiet the stock exhast was, but the supercharger sure sounded neat! I had some guy in a Lexus pull up to me while I was going around 50 or so, he kinda got on it and I just pushed the accelerator down a bit and WHOOSH - he was instant toast :-). I'm not a big fan of the interiors of the Cobras, the suede inserts usually look dirty to me - but if I found one for a good price that's something I could easily overlook. I'd say if you could find one for a pretty good deal, grab it. Drive it for a while and if you need even more power they can be modded pretty easy to put out some pretty insane numbers. They *are* very neat cars and once you drive one you won't forget it!
Old 8/30/07, 06:52 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Is a 03 cobra faster???

Yes........ without a doubt.. Lets go over the differences real quick just in the engine/drivetrain makeup.

GT = 4.6L SOHC naturally aspirated motor, 260hp (so 220-230rwhp) mounted to a 5-speed or 4-speed automatic. Solid live axle rear end, 3.27 gears stock.

Cobra = 4.6L DOHC supercharged motor (4v per cylinder vs 2 in GT, eaton supercharger), 390 rated hp (alot of them were underrated and made 370-380 at the wheels), full forged motor so it can handle more power with a simple pully change, T-56 6-speed transmission, nicely built IRS w/ 3.55 ratio gears.

Yeah the cobra is a completely different beast and I would take it over a GT anyday personally. GT's are great cars though, just different leagues between those 2 cars.
Old 8/30/07, 06:58 AM

how do i post a new thread?
Old 8/30/07, 06:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Scothew
Is a 03 cobra faster???

Yes........ without a doubt.. Lets go over the differences real quick just in the engine/drivetrain makeup.

GT = 4.6L SOHC naturally aspirated motor, 260hp (so 220-230rwhp) mounted to a 5-speed or 4-speed automatic. Solid live axle rear end, 3.27 gears stock.

Cobra = 4.6L DOHC supercharged motor (4v per cylinder vs 2 in GT, eaton supercharger), 390 rated hp (alot of them were underrated and made 370-380 at the wheels), full forged motor so it can handle more power with a simple pully change, T-56 6-speed transmission, nicely built IRS w/ 3.55 ratio gears.

Yeah the cobra is a completely different beast and I would take it over a GT anyday personally. GT's are great cars though, just different leagues between those 2 cars.
haha.....i know the differences, and i know its faster. Im talking about the experience driving it. Just like driving my sisters 96 eclipse for the first six months until i bought my GT was ok as my first daily driver. Then once i bought mine, it was fast.....really really fast, in comparison to my sisters car of course. And pretty much every other car that ive driven up to that point. And now after 3 years....i want more, which one day will equate to me owning a 04 cobra, hopefully
Old 8/30/07, 08:21 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a 99gt a while back. and at that time i got to drive a 03 cobra. It is such a controllable car it does not feel faster then the GT at first. I did a 0-100 sprint in the Cobra and the exhaust is so quiet on the cobra it doesn't feel that quick.

But as soon as i got back into my GT i did a 0-100 sprint and it felt like I wasn't going anywhere, yet my moddifed exhaust made the car scream.

It really is amazing how much faster the cobra is and how controllable and docile it can be.
Old 9/10/07, 01:37 PM
GT Member

I love the input you all have given.

I'm an S197 guy (see my signature). The only mod I've got is CAI & tune. Now that I've had my 06GT for a year I'm looking for more, but can't afford a GT500 and quite frankly, would rather have an 04 Cobra. Do most dealerships certify Cobras so that you can purchase an extended warranty on it? This is something to consider since mine is still under warranty. Also, I've driven an 04GT and there really is no comparison between it and my 06. I get the feeling the Cobra would be a huge difference.
Old 9/11/07, 05:59 PM
Bullitt Member

I went from a 99 GT to an 03 cobra too. That was the best decision I ever made. I actually owned both at the same time for a while so I got to go back and forth between the two. If you get the chance, dump the the GT and get a cobra. The worst decision I ever made was selling the cobra, and the 2nd worst was buying an 06 GT. I finally dumped the GT off, so now I'm back in the market for a Terminator. If you want a forum thats more focused on the cobras, go to svtperformance.com
Old 9/11/07, 06:56 PM
Bullitt Member

I honestly cant wait to get my hands on a 04 cobra. Unfortunatly im only a junior at pace university, so my GT being paid off in full seems to be my best bet for loooooong time until i start making some good money. One day though, and Im still very optomistic about it too hah.

and pearbear, what was it about the cobra that you liked more than your 06 GT?
Old 9/11/07, 07:11 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cheech6g
I honestly cant wait to get my hands on a 04 cobra. Unfortunatly im only a junior at pace university, so my GT being paid off in full seems to be my best bet for loooooong time until i start making some good money. One day though, and Im still very optomistic about it too hah.

and pearbear, what was it about the cobra that you liked more than your 06 GT?
Good question. I was wondering the same thing. I love my 06 GT but it's not a Cobra.
Old 9/12/07, 06:20 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

i went from an 04gt to a modified 98 cobra and there is no comparison there.i cant imagine an 03-04 modified cobra. though my car is a lightweight compared to them. my car weighed 3400 lbs with me in it last time i went to the track and that was full street trim with stuff in trunk. i am on the market for an 03-04 and am keeping my 98 for daily driver
Old 9/12/07, 02:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jpro
Good question. I was wondering the same thing. I love my 06 GT but it's not a Cobra.
haha good point
Old 9/13/07, 07:30 AM
Bullitt Member

It would be easier to list the things I liked better about the 06, since there was only 1, and that was the interior. The inside of the 06 seemed nicer and put together better than the cobra, although I still prefer the cobra seats.

The cobra was better than the 06 in every way. Power, handling, comfort, and in my case, even gas mileage. Also the fact that you can't even put a CAI on an 05+ without a tune is just unforgivable. The car is too weighed down with useless technology like the electronic throttle and hydraulic assist clutch. Add to that the fact that everyone and their grandmother is jumping on the 05+ bandwagon, and it just got annoying to pass 2 identical cars to mine every day. As happy as I am that Ford is selling a lot of them, I hate that now EVERYONE is a mustang enthusiast, even if they can't tell you a single thing about the history of the car.

As I said before, if you want info, pics, vids or anything to do with the SVT line of vehicles, go to svtperformance.com
Old 9/13/07, 08:08 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
bottom line a GT weather it is a Sn95 or S197 is just a GT. nothing specail about it. 100's of thousands of them on the road. But a Cobra is somthing special.
Old 9/19/07, 09:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Knight
bottom line a GT weather it is a Sn95 or S197 is just a GT. nothing specail about it. 100's of thousands of them on the road. But a Cobra is somthing special.
Unless you have a Supercharged GT that will run 12.50's spinning in 1st and 2nd(on Drag Radials) and gets 26+ mpg on the Highway
Old 9/23/07, 06:33 PM
GT Member

tacbear,

I see you like the Tide...tough loss last night. I hate UGA.
Old 9/23/07, 08:12 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by cheech6g
... Is it that crazy?
Maybe not that crazy but it's a lot of fun and more power than more ever need. That car has the power to intimidate by its mere presence.

I came across guys with Saleens and Roush a few times. They knew I was there but wouldn't even glance my way... all I wanted was to say hello... and goodbye!

Old 9/23/07, 09:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
My next Stang will definately be an 03' Cobra.I hope to find a nice one by next spring.I can't complain about my 07GT because its very reliable.I really think all the Cobra Stangs are worth collecting.I gave my nephew a 98'Cobra but he really takes good care of it.It was a graduation gift for making good grades.
Old 9/23/07, 09:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I wish I got a cobra for graduation
Old 9/24/07, 09:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i went from a gt to a mach and there was a big diff. my dream is to own a white 03 cobra

Quick Reply: gt to cobra